Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 17:26   #1

Cabin Heat and Water Heater

I've tried doing some research but cant seem to bring anything up. I'm looking to heat my searay 220 da cabin and cockpit, but I'm also wanting to install a hot water heater. Does someone make a combination hot water heater and air heater that isn't $2000 and a real pain to install? thanks for all the help
BigCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:15   #2

Boat: Olson 40
Re: Cabin Heat and Water Herater

If you look into RV equipment rather than marine equipment, and then you might be able to find something under 2 boat bucks, and easy to install too.

But you need to be very careful: RV equipment is generally mounted such that fumes drain OUT of the vehicle onto the ground. On a boat, fumes end up in the bilge, and can (and do) accumulate to explosive air-fuel ratios, so a spark will explode your boat. Maybe you will survive the explosion, its amazing to me when people do survive such explosions, but sometimes it does happen.

If you go with RV (cheap) stuff, you will probably need to install it outside the boat, like on the swim step fully aft of the transom. Probably not the aesthetic you are looking for.

I use propane space heaters in the cockpit. I always ensure I've got multiple carbon monoxide sensors, and I ensure their batteries are OK. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer.

Below, I use warm clothes and down comforters. Hatches are ALWAYS open for air flow. CO sensors tested and placed near pillows, on the floor, and near the ceiling. I never use the space heater below, I'm just being careful in case the CO gets into the cabin from the engines or outside space heaters. Body heat does warm up cuddy cabins better than you might think.

The right way to go is to install either a propane or diesel marine system. These are not cheap, and usually not easy to install. They sure do work!

For water heaters, there are many fairly inexpensive SS tanks that are warmed by cooling water">engine cooling water. These are usually the best way to go. They warm up quickly and stay warm for a few hours after you turn the engines off.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BigCox.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

What you want is a hydronic heating system -- these are offered by Espar and Webasto, maybe others. I'm afraid it will be way more than $2000. Probably about $5,000 for the whole system. It is the right way to heat space and hot water. You can finagle cheaper ways to do it, but -- you get what you pay for.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 01:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Hey BigCox...welcome to the forum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 19:20   #6

Boat: Roberts TY 43

I went the wabasto hydronic route. PEX tube is easy enough to run, compared with air duct. The one consideration would be A/C, then a forced air system could work for both heating and cooling. I added a heat exchanger to the main, so my hydronic system works when cruising, or when anchored.

Increase your budget. If you're really a handy type, shop some of the semi truck and bus parts suppliers. I have used Midwest Bus Parts, We Do More Than Bus Parts for parts, and you could piece together the same system for less cost.

Good luck...fair seas.
Suremarine.com has some good info online for DIY.
Norskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 05:37   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Cabin Heat and Water Heater

The Searay 220 is a pretty small boat. Unless you are really planning to spend days at anchor without running the engine there is a simpler and cheaper approach. There are at least a couple of vendors of heaters that work just like car heaters, plumbed into the cooling system of your engine. With a little work and creativity you could use an auto heating system. Similarly the water heater can be plumbed into the cooling system to make hot water; most marine water heaters are set up that way.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 10:26   #8

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava

Try heatercraft.com.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 10:42   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post