Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-10-2010, 17:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, I presume when you say 'steam' you are figuratively referring to an internal combustion engine such as diesel or petrol, rather than an external combustion, live steam double or triple expansion engine (or turbine for that matter) powered small yacht? The reason I ask, is there are still some of those beasts out there on the water.
Yup, steaming (making way under power) is an old term still used by many in the profession. The days of steam turbine merchant ships are gone except for a few LNG ships. Nuclear ships and subs of course use steam turbines.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:15   #17

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
When I wrote steam, I guess I would have been more correct to have typed "motor".

I seem to hear the terms used interchangably. However, I like the sound of "steaming" vs "motoring", so I make my ear happy, even if "motoring" is technicaly more true.

Thanks for the help. 150% of the fuel required for the straight line distance. That's easily calculatable advice, THANKS!

Old 29-10-2010, 11:39   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
I seem to hear the terms used interchangably. However, I like the sound of "steaming" vs "motoring", so I make my ear happy, even if "motoring" is technicaly more true.
No worries. I was just starting to get excited that perhaps you actually did mean steaming literally. As I said, there are still some steam yachts, launches, etc out there
Old 29-10-2010, 13:37   #19

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
We live and travel about on our boat. Did around 4000 nms in a year averaging 40 nms a day when we are moving and burn 1 gal per mile.
Old 29-10-2010, 14:52   #20

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
We live and travel about on our boat. Did around 4000 nms in a year averaging 40 nms a day when we are moving and burn 1 gal per mile.
So if I'm reading this right, about 333 miles per month. That's about 41 hours motors per month @ 8 knots. Right at about 2 solid 24 hour days of motoring per month. But from your discription, it's more like 2 days a week, for about 5-6 hours a day average.

That makes sense to me as I was figureing that I might motor one day a week, during daylight hours. But like I said, I have no idea how I'll react when I REALLY don't have to be anywhere. I'm WAY too used to having a "schedule".

Actualy, lorenzo, I REALLY like your boat, and have wanted a vessel like yours since the moment I saw a photo of it. I just don't know if I could afford the fuel and docking for a vessel that sized. In truth, now I know I can't afford it! Right now there is no way I could make it work to spend aprox $1,000 per month in fuel. Still, it's good to dream!
Old 29-10-2010, 18:26   #21

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Just to give you an idea of our costs, the boat cost about 250K to set up and we seem to be spending around 65K a year total. I think to cut that back you would have to go with a smaller boat. We never really dock, we anchor out away from other boats and dinghy in.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:44   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
For a very general question a very general answer.

Those that cruise full time, e.g. live aboard and seldom if ever stay in a marina, will seldom be underway more than 20% of the time.
Old 30-10-2010, 14:24   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
When I wrote steam, I guess I would have been more correct to have typed "motor".
One steams.
Thats why one has a Steaming Light.
If one 'motored' one would have a motoring light.

Cars (Autos, for our Yankee friends) motor.
Cars have no steaming lights. They have headlights.

Motoring is ambiguous.

When I am in the tropics at sea using the engine to get into the marina channel I say: 'I am steaming up that hot passage'. No ambiguity in that!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: