Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2015, 16:42   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My 24-volt bow thruster runs well off the house batteries 12 feet distant.
Same here, except it's 20 feet. 10 horsepower Sleipner Side Power; works like a charm.

24v helps a lot; cables are of a reasonable size. Dedicated batts are a lot of weight in the bow where you really don't want it.

Old 23-01-2015, 16:48   #17

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'
Re: Bow Thruster Advice

Quote:
My 24-volt bow thruster runs well off the house batteries 12 feet distant.
I'm sure it does, but if his thruster is going to be more than twice as far from said batteries, the leads as well as the draw are going to be exponentially bigger. I like knowing that at least one of my thrusters will probably work in a pinch, and that neither of them will drain the house batteries in the process.

Old 23-01-2015, 17:08   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
... I like knowing that at least one of my thrusters will probably work in a pinch, and that neither of them will drain the house batteries in the process.
Yes, but the electrical power has to come from some source which could equally serve any battery. Better not use the starter battery for propulsion engine and genset, however. I'm comfortable using the house batteries.
Old 23-01-2015, 17:44   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Electric will be the cheapest to install. Especially if you have to pay to have it done. The hydraulic pieces will be more expensive. But, hydraulics often run for decades without component replacement. You have full power as long as the drive engine is running. Maintenance is looking at oil level, belts, fitting and hoses. Batteries have a limited life and in high amperage use need to be checked often. Electrical connections can be troublesome in marine environment. High amp motors are prone to overheating/shorter life if used for extended periods. Etc. I have run marine electrical and hydraulic motors since the 50's. Ships, tugs and commercial fishing. Over time, hydraulics are more reliable and need the fewest repairs. Eco oil is available that doesn't leave a sheen if you leak.
Old 24-01-2015, 18:03   #20

Boat: Luders Cheoy Lee 36

Thank you all for your thoughts, boat is in the Port Townsend area. Will take her to Gold Star and get their thoughts in February. They did really nice work on our sailboat a few years back so think I will get their bid. Any thoughts of another shop in the Seattle to Port Townsend area ?
Old 25-01-2015, 07:08   #21
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Yes, but the electrical power has to come from some source which could equally serve any battery. Better not use the starter battery for propulsion engine and genset, however. I'm comfortable using the house batteries.
Some folks recommend powering the thruster from the start battery figuring that the engine is already running and the start battery may be more appropriate for short term, high current use (like a starter).

My thruster is powered by the house bank and my batteries are all the same (AGM) and the house bank has a much larger capacity. I'm comfortable with that. Pretty much either way will work.

I think having a dedicated battery or bank for a bow thruster adds an unnecessary level of complexity. You have to keep it charged but you have to prevent the thruster from trying to draw current through the charging circuit or the other batteries from trying to draw current from the thruster battery. You cant just connect it in parallel with the house or start batteries.
Old 27-01-2015, 16:03   #22

Boat: Mustang 3800

I run a bow thruster off my house batteries (2 of) and its around 20ft away. Never had any issues with it. Maintenance is easy and simple, occasional oil top up, clean and replace anode, anti-foul tunnel and thats it.
Old 27-01-2015, 18:39   #23

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus

I had a bow thruster installed at the Shipwright Coop there in port Townsend. Super work and about 1/3 less than Gold. Dan did the glass and tube and Chris Brignoli the electrical, it was a 24 v Sidepower unit.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-03-2015, 19:06   #24

A bow thruster is a high-load, short duration device. House batteries are not designed for this service. Engine starting batteries are. (Same for your windlass.) If you need to add another starting battery to your circuit, that's fine, but I would not recommend using your house batteries for a thruster because it will wear them out prematurely. (Experience speaking here...$$$!) If you have to add a separate battery, make it a high capacity starting battery and put it in the bow. Wire the windlass to this battery too, and then your house and engine starting battery banks will last longer and be protected from excess wear and damage. Also, get a long set of jumpers and you can use the windlass/thruster battery as a backup to start your engine if you have to. Check your charger; some of them can handle three separate circuits when you're plugged in to the beach.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: