Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-08-2012, 13:09   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Bottom clean breathing device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Anybody ever tried a pony scuba tank? Essentially a small tank typically used as a backup for wreck diving or similar. Tank and backpack runs about $200.
Yes we carry a 5 litre 232 bar cyl on board, that's probably about 40cu ft x 3300 psi.

Think you might be pushed with the smaller 2 or 3L cylinder especially if your not a diver. The air breathing rate will be much higher even in warm clear water.

Pete

Old 23-08-2012, 14:16   #47

Re: Bottom Clean Breathing Device

Houston, Texas area and 2-3 times per year; but probably should be more.

Old 24-08-2012, 08:25   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw0922 View Post
Houston, Texas area and 2-3 times per year; but probably should be more.
Man, I'm just flabbergasted at the price. I can't understand what would drive it so high. It's easily 2X-3X more than what is being charged elsewhere in the country.
Old 24-08-2012, 08:36   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

fstbttms, that price is probably because the barnacles are nearly ten inches across and it takes two men with a crowbar to remove them. You know, everything grows big in Texas. :-)
Old 24-08-2012, 08:38   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Over the years we have paid $1.75 to $2.50 (the most) per foot for bottom cleaning. We currently pay the $2.50 because the crazy diver in our area is the only one that will clean bottoms in our Alligator infested waters. We have carried tanks and a hooka for years and done our own most of the time. At $8.00 per foot, someone is getting ripped off. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 08:38   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
fstbttms, that price is probably because the barnacles are nearly ten inches across and it takes two men with a crowbar to remove them. You know, everything grows big in Texas. :-)
Almost makes me consider starting a hull cleaning business in Texas.

Almost.
Old 24-08-2012, 09:19   #52

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Fastbottoms, you would not like a lot of the bottom paint in Texas!! LOL they do a lot of cruising in Mexico and the Bahamas!! just sayin
Old 27-08-2012, 09:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy
Over the years we have paid $1.75 to $2.50 (the most) per foot for bottom cleaning. We currently pay the $2.50 because the crazy diver in our area is the only one that will clean bottoms in our Alligator infested waters. We have carried tanks and a hooka for years and done our own most of the time. At $8.00 per foot, someone is getting ripped off. Chuck
Am I missing something here? Let's look at a 45' boat at $2 ft. So $90 for a diver to come to the boat, get all his gear on, spend what, couple of hours, cleaning off the bottom of the boat, and then cleaning all his gear up. That sounds like a good deal to me, no, a great deal. It would cost that for a diver to turn up in the uk., let alone do any work !!!
Old 27-08-2012, 09:28   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i pay 1.00 per foot--and have since 1996. before that the fee was 75 cents per foot.

so far, in both usa and in mexico i have found 3 kinds of divers to do this work--one uses tanks and scuba gear.

one uses hookah

one freedives--more of that in mexico than in usa. some of these kids can hold breath looong time, a sthey dive for oysters and shellfish via freedive method.

my diver in sd liked hookah set best as the tanks didnt get in the way of the job, as tanks do.
is also easier to work with a dead man line with hookah set --tanks get wrapped in the line too easily.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 10:00   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtimmorris View Post
Am I missing something here? Let's look at a 45' boat at $2 ft. So $90 for a diver to come to the boat, get all his gear on, spend what, couple of hours, cleaning off the bottom of the boat, and then cleaning all his gear up. That sounds like a good deal to me, no, a great deal. It would cost that for a diver to turn up in the uk., let alone do any work !!!
That's the prices we have been paying over the years, BUT. These prices are for the diver to come on a monthly basis and maintain the bottom. If you just have them come for a one time cleaning or the bottom hasn't been done for a long time, they charge by the hour, usually $75.00 to $80.00. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 10:43   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
That's the prices we have been paying over the years, BUT. These prices are for the diver to come on a monthly basis and maintain the bottom. If you just have them come for a one time cleaning or the bottom hasn't been done for a long time, they charge by the hour, usually $75.00 to $80.00. Chuck
That makes a lot more sense now. Silly me. In the UK we generally only have to clean our bottoms once a year !! For the record, that's not a plus point!
Old 27-08-2012, 11:02   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtimmorris View Post
That makes a lot more sense now. Silly me. In the UK we generally only have to clean our bottoms once a year !! For the record, that's not a plus point!
In regions of the U.S. where fouling is an issue (California. Gulf Coast, Florida and on up probably almost to New England) regular in-water hull cleaning is a necessary part of proper boat maintenance. In California for instance, there are hundreds of hull cleaning companies that provide this service. Prices vary from area to area (again, 8 bucks a foot seems a little outrageous) but a single hull cleaner can typically dive 6 or 8 boats per day. So a guy with an established clientele isn't going show up at your boat and spend a few hours and then go home. He's going to service your boat and then move on to the next one. Depending on the going rate in a particular area, a busy hull cleaner can actually make well into the six-figure range. Southern California is not one of those areas and anybody paying a diver $1.00 or a $1.25/foot should be thankful that their hull cleaning rates are the lowest in the country.
Old 27-08-2012, 20:30   #58

I just did mine over the weekend. I tied one of those square thowable PFD cushions to the end of a scrub brush on a broom handle. It worked great everywhere but the keel and the rudder. I put on a life jacket to make it easier to float and also ran a line from bow to stern, along the water line which I leaned my back against to be able to push the brush down the side of the hull. It took about ten minutes for each side. Thanks for the idea of using a fender!
Old 31-08-2012, 14:39   #59

I leave the tank on deck. The 50' hose plugs into the BC inflater hose and a second stage regulator is perm. attached to the hose. A small float at about 20' keeps the hose from sinking. While doing zincs I leave the reg over the shaft and return to the swim step for more parts without the hose. I have a small electric compressor and fill my own tank. No hydros or vips. I have used this rig for recovering stuff too. Get certified if you want to do that.
Old 03-09-2012, 19:20   #60

Boat: Regency 46

Assuming you have a C-card the easiest/cheapest thing to do is rent gear from a local dive shop. Alternatively, companies like H20 make "bailout" or pony bottles as backups for a full scuba rig that are perfect for doing shallow work like bottom cleaning.

If you're not certified already, either using a snorkel and a long handled brush or hiring the diver is probably the way to go.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: