Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 08:56   #1

Boat: ex - Tayana 55
Boston Whaler versus Albury versus ???

Hi All

We are moving soon from the UK to Abaco in the Bahamas. We're looking for the ideal boat to cover a range of duties, runabout, diving, snorkelling, fishing, etc. Our previous experience is on sail boats rather than motor boats.

22-25 feet seems about the sweet spot for speed, comfort, handling etc. My wife has a bad back so we need a stable and comfortable boat.

I've read a couple of articles on the Albury boats made in Man O War Cay and wanted to compare them to other makes like Boston Whaler.

So if anyone out has some help and advice, it would be much appreciated.

regards

Magor
Magor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Go with something that you can run back to Florida if need be (it's only 175 miles to Fort Lauderdale)

I would look at something with twin 4 strokes
Old 26-02-2014, 10:11   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: Boston Whaler versus Albury versus ???

The Albury 24 is a great riding boat, no frills, just good quality. You will look like a local right away riding around in an Albury. Whaler's are solidly built, with nice fit and finish, but in my opinion, overpriced. If money is no object, and you want a luxurious ride, look at Scout boats. Being based in the Abacos, definitely go with a Yamaha outboard. They have dealer support in Marsh harbor, Hope Town, and other locations in the Islands.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Boston Whaler versus Albury versus ???

I've got a Boston Whaler Outrage 19, but if I had a bad back and was in the Abacos I would be looking for something like a Twin Vee 22 power catamaran. Power cats have a great, soft ride with less pounding especially into a head sea (or over a boat wake!) and there is lots of room for dive equipment compared to other boats of the same length. Further, they require smaller outboards to plane which means less fuel and they are very shallow draft. It's like cutting waves with two knifes instead of one spoon.

I recently saw a used one locally that was in great shape and repowered with Suzukis for about $13k.

In the past I owned a 1996 Glacier Bay 26. It wasn't as pretty or as fast as a Fountain but it made a great diving and fishing machine and the crew didn't feel an inch shorter after a day on the ocean.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote