Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 06:11   #1

Boston Boat Owners!

Can anyone suggest a good boatyard?
Old 25-02-2014, 06:29   #2
cruiser

Re: Boston Boat Owners!!!

At the boat show yesterday, Newburyport marina had a booth and seem to be seeking new tenants. I know several people who moor in Salem Harbor during the summer. And I saw another booth offer space at Consitution marina right near Boston in the harbor. My friend keeps his boat in the water year round in Salem harbor. Bring along a very warm jacket.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:57   #3

Boat: Catalina 310

Can you give some more details? Are you looking for right in Boston? What size boat (I think I remember you were looking for something in the 50s)? Do you plan to stay at the same place for summer and winter?

Of the cuff, I would say Constitution (as has been pointed out) or Boston Yacht Haven. These are two of the primary places for winter live aboards.

Fair winds,

Jesse
Old 25-02-2014, 11:03   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post

Of the cuff, I would say Constitution (as has been pointed out) or Boston Yacht Haven.

Guess this just highlights that one needs to tell us what THEY mean when they ask for a good marinia. Far as I'm concerned Constitution is about as close as you normally get to living under a freeway bridge on a boat.
Old 25-02-2014, 12:28   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Can anyone suggest a good boatyard?

There's usually a difference between a "boatyard" and a "marina" -- although sometimes the ideas combine...

Are you after service? Or a slip? Or both? Or...?

-Chris
Old 25-02-2014, 13:20   #6

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
There's usually a difference between a "boatyard" and a "marina" -- although sometimes the ideas combine...

-Chris
My question as well.

Marina: I've heard mostly good things about Constitution Marina from liveaboards and those who just keep their boat there. Our boat's PO lived in Marblehead and moved the boat to Constitution Marina for a winter weekend place to hang out.

Services: When we bought our boat, it was at Dion's Boatyard in Salem. We needed several things done. I was impressed with their work and the people. Obviously, you're getting a very different boat, but there were some decent sized trawlers getting worked on when we were there.

Prices are better and the array of services is at least as good in Southeastern MA or Rhode Island. The marina at NE Boatworks in Portsmouth, RI has a bunch of services right there and many more in the area.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 13:37   #7

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

No sales tax on boats in RI! No property tax on boats in RI!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 13:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
Good point, sorry, I should have been more specific.

I'm looking for service work. I need a boatyard that will work on large boats. I have called around to a few places, but many say the boat is too big. I need a yard that will handle a 60' boat.

Has anyone ever put in a new 20kw generator? I'm figuring that would run 40k or less. Does that seem reasonable?
Old 25-02-2014, 13:59   #9

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:

I'm looking for service work. I need a boatyard that will work on large boats. I have called around to a few places, but many say the boat is too big. I need a yard that will handle a 60' boat.

Has anyone ever put in a new 20kw generator? I'm figuring that would run 40k or less. Does that seem reasonable?
Bristol Marine now has a yard in Somerset, MA in addition to their yard in Bristol. I haven't been to the new location, but they apparently bought it to manage bigger boats. They advertise working on boats up to 90'. They provide a lot of services, will general contract for other locals if they don't have the right resources, or will let you bring in your own people. I've had good results with them, but not on a 60' powerboat.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:17   #10

Quote:

How close to Boston were you interested in? On the North Shore there is Gloucester (Roses) and I would second Dion's in Salem. I would also agree that RI would give you much better options in general if the logistics worked for you.
Jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:22   #11

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

New England Boatworks in RI is very professional, handles the yachting crowd's big boats. I've toured their facility; very impressive.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 04:31   #12

All the commerical cruise boats out of Boston come up to Rose Marine in Gloucester for haul out and maintenance. It's the go-to place around here for heavy work like that.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:59   #13

Boat: Catalina 310

A number of people I know with larger boats will also take the trip down to Fairhaven. They say the costs down there justify the trip depending on how much work you are going to have done.

Good luck.

Jesse
Old 26-02-2014, 12:04   #14

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:

Why do you need such a large gen set? Who told you and how was it calculated? We have a 10KW which is more than enough. Does the boat have the space and how are they going to get that big gen set in the boat.

Might want to look at two smaller gen sets that can be combine to make 20 kw if you need it? We have a 10kw gen set and a cruise gen off the 671 so the total combine is 15 kw. However, 10 kw is all we needed as 10 kw is 83.33 amps. The boat has only a 50 amp breaker and wired for 75 amps, so even the 10 kw gen set is to big..

If the boat already has a gen set, can the old one be rebuild? Remember the gen set is actual a 1 motor, and 2 generator combined = a gen set. So if either the motor or generator woks then just replace what is needed.

There are only a few yards that have a 50 ton lift required to pull the Eagle. Also not only the lift but also the width as lift tend to squeeze a boat if the lift is not wide enough. We did not move to Everett until they got the new 75 ton as before they only had a 35 ton.

Anyway please provide some more detail!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 07:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Why do you need such a large gen set? Who told you and how was it calculated? We have a 10KW which is more than enough. Does the boat have the space and how are they going to get that big gen set in the boat.

Might want to look at two smaller gen sets that can be combine to make 20 kw if you need it? We have a 10kw gen set and a cruise gen off the 671 so the total combine is 15 kw. However, 10 kw is all we needed as 10 kw is 83.33 amps. The boat has only a 50 amp breaker and wired for 75 amps, so even the 10 kw gen set is to big..

If the boat already has a gen set, can the old one be rebuild? Remember the gen set is actual a 1 motor, and 2 generator combined = a gen set. So if either the motor or generator woks then just replace what is needed.

There are only a few yards that have a 50 ton lift required to pull the Eagle. Also not only the lift but also the width as lift tend to squeeze a boat if the lift is not wide enough. We did not move to Everett until they got the new 75 ton as before they only had a 35 ton.

Anyway please provide some more detail!
I'm just exploring worst case scenarios. I'm not a fan of costly surprises, so I try to figure on the worst in most cases then hope for the best. The boat has a generator problem. Maybe it can be repaired, but I want to keep in mind the possibility that I could have to replace, hence I like to have an idea of the cost. The reason that I said 20kw is because that is what it has now, so I was figuring I would have to replace with the same. I am going to double check that I wasn't mistaken with the 20kw.