Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 18:42   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Boat type for east coast of Florida

I will be moving to the Daytona area of Florida in about 4 months. Would like to get out on the ocean. Budget is a measly 40k. I am thinking a 27' to 29' center console with a single outboard.

Sure I would love a Fountain Sport Fisher but that is out of the near future budget.

How foolish would it be to use a single engine boat on the ocean. I do want to get as far out as the Gulf Stream.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 20:40   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Boat type for east coast of Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
-----How foolish would it be to use a single engine boat on the ocean. I do want to get as far out as the Gulf Stream.
-----
Lots of people do it but - how reliable will the engine be? Will you carry enough fuel? From Ponce Inlet to the west wall of the Gulf Stream is about 45 miles +/-. That's a 90 mile round trip plus distance to and from your dock.
What are your plans if your engine dies? And your electronics, including your VHF radio? Do you know how to deal with a severe unexpected thunderstorm?
Just some food for thought.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:46   #3

The boat will be a late model no more than 3 years old. I plan to have all the electronics needed since I will be 45 miles out on occasion. I would expect I will buy a boat with at least 200 miles of range.

Thunderstorms - what special things needs to be done? My previous boating experience on fresh water is baten down the hatches and wait for it to pass.

The reason I asked about single outboard engine boats is a Sport Fishing Show said today's outboards are so reliable that the old school of needing twin engines is no longer true.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:02   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I wouldn't be uncomfortable with (might even prefer) a CC and single -- good, and well maintained -- outboard, and assuming you pay decent attention to fuel quality.

If it worries you, you could maybe mount a kicker... and in any case, unlimited towing insurance is relatively cheap.

A decent head would be way higher on my priority list, compared to a second engine.

-Chris
Old 03-02-2016, 08:32   #5

Boat: Nonsuch U30

I live just south of Daytona Beach, most of the boaters I know who go open blue water have twin motors. Costs a little more but the safety is worth the cost.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:36   #6

Not sure "old school" is really gone when it comes down to running pretty far offshore, I'd much rather has a pair of 150's then one 300 any day, yes you will loose some top end with twin, but not much at cruise. Motors are more reliable, but not full proof and you know Murphy's law right...
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:37   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Single motor should be fine. That's all you see on many boats. I would carry a spare, maybe 1 9.9 just in case. Cheap insurance.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:02   #8

Humm...talked to a person that said to check out a particular charter captain on the internet and look at his boat. So i did. It is a 27' center console with a single outboard engine. I was somewhat amazed that a commercial charter boat would be single engine. Also located on the east coast of Florida also advertised fishing in the Gulf Stream.

That boat is exactly was I am looking at. I will actually schedule a fishing trip with the captain to see what it like before I go any further. I think it will be money well spent to get the education.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:05   #9

Oh...forgot to mention I am also interested in the two hull type boats also but have not seem any yet. Those will have two mid power engines.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:10   #10

tuffr2, you can justify anything, only you will be the one accountable at the end of the day, meaning are you a person that is capable of resolving issues on the fly, when 50 miles offshore and out of cell range and VHF range and something happens, ah yes satellite phone is very handy then. When it gets really rough can a little kicker really propel your boat, these are all simple questions to run through your head, coming to a forum and looking for your answer, well... you get what you pay for.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:42   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've had CC's for a long time, and usually twin engine, only time I got stuck out "there" was in a twin engine boat, water in the fuel.

Having said that a kicker if your fishing is nice for trolling, a big motor if run at idle for long periods will sometimes "make" oil, meaning dilute the oil with fuel, and a kicker will get you home, at hull speed.

I've always had SeaTow or Boat US, never used either (knock wood) but if you don't have the insurance and need them, they charge in the hundreds to just show up, and the price climbs from there.

Often time twins and triples are as much an ego thing as anything else
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:12   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Oh...forgot to mention I am also interested in the two hull type boats also but have not seem any yet. Those will have two mid power engines.

We call those catamarans.

World cat and glacier bay make some very nice ones. But 40k and 3 years old won't get you one. Change either of those numbers and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 17:10   #13

Ok...yesterday I saw a Pro-Line 2950 from 1999. That is older then I wanted but was clean. It came with twin Merc 225 Optimax engines. I like this boat because I can trailer it plus it has a cabin that would make an over night or two doable.

I would make a trip or two a year down to the Florida Keys.

Is this an ok boat for the open Atlantic ocean?

Old 12-02-2016, 18:16   #14

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Captained a 2950 w/200's from Fort Lauderdale to the Berry's and back, plus fishing for ten days. Boat rode very well, under less than perfect conditions. No wood used in construction, seems well built to me...$1700 fill at Chub...owners eyeballs rolled. New 4stroke engines reportedly more miserly...just a frugal blowboater myself. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 05:09   #15

I think I know the answer to this but just want to double check. The Pro-Line 2950 can come with twin outboards or I think single I/O.

For ocean use I am leaning toward twin outboards.

Anyone know why this boat was also made in an I/O version? That just seems odd to me.

Tags
east coast, florida