Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-07-2013, 17:18   #1

Boat Buying Questions?

More questions guys if anyone wants to help me out...again. I would appreciate it.

What's the best way to find a good surveyor from out of town or can anyone recommend one in Florida?

What's the best way to find a delivery captain? Can I use a skipper also or does it have to be a captain?

Will a delivery from Florida to Massachusetts be a problem in September with hurricane season coming?

Old 30-07-2013, 17:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Boat Buying Questions?

The surveyor will best be gotten by recommendations here.

The delivery captains credentials may depend on what your insurance requires for the types of vessels you've been looking at.

A coastwise northbound delivery should be no problem this time of year, there are ample places to hide if need be.

Old 30-07-2013, 17:29   #3

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Hi Galaxy, hopefully someone will chime in from FL. There might be a SAMS or NAMS website that lists surveyors in the area you are looking at a boat.

I've never used the services of a delivery captain, but moving a powerboat north out of FL should be fine in September with todays forecasts. Insurance could be an issue, but maybe a short term rider will not cost you too much. I'd go ahead and get some quotes. I bought a boat in FL and they have some cruising permit you have to get to avoid sales tax. Broker will be able to lay it out for you.

Perhaps you can hire a delivery captain and go along as crew, at least part of the way and hop a plane back to Boston. FL to Charleston maybe. Cant think of a better way to get used to your boat, and could be a blast.

Good luck.
Old 30-07-2013, 17:46   #4

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

I know a good guy in Florida that can do both for you. PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 30-07-2013, 19:00   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

[QUOTE=GalaxyGirl;1298038]More questions guys if anyone wants to help me out...again. I would appreciate it.

What's the best way to find a good surveyor from out of town or I'm not going to recommend anyone. I knew a good husband/wife team but they have retired. the guy I used came highly recommended and was ... awful.

If you're in the Tampa Bay area I can recommend someone for an excellent engine survey, however.
Old 30-07-2013, 19:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Many surveyors are also licensed captains. Consider asking your surveyor to do the delivery as by that time he will know the boat better than anyone else.
Old 30-07-2013, 19:39   #7

[QUOTE=Rakuflames;1298090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
the guy I used came highly recommended and was ... awful.
This is exactly what I am afraid of. I hope these guys are nothing like home inspectors. Maybe I should get 2 surveys done separately, just in case...
Old 30-07-2013, 19:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Many surveyors are also licensed captains. Consider asking your surveyor to do the delivery as by that time he will know the boat better than anyone else.
Only thing though, I'll have to really be sure that they know what they are doing or be in trouble twice...LOL
Old 30-07-2013, 20:19   #9

Boat: Moccasins and pony

I've never been very impressed with surveyors. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic....but by the time I bought my recent boat a few years ago, I really felt like I knew my way around the boat better than the surveyor, despite never having been on one. He at least tried hard, showed up on time, and didn't complain about the Florida heat.

Smart money researches all known issues with the boat you're looking at and directs the surveyor to check it out.

My first surveyor came highly recommended, and showed up to the job an hour late, and reeking of booze and complaining he didn't feel well. None of which would have mattered too much if the work was good... Because of the insurance requirement for a survey - much like a home inspection for a mortgage - you get some underachievers in the system. Some buyers don't want to know whats wrong anyway, just want the deal to close. The surveyors benefit from good relationships with the brokers, and the brokers are in business to close deals. How many people use the same surveyor twice? I'm sure some do, but plenty of us fly in from somewhere, pay for our survey and go home, with little hope of repeat business. Not so for that brokerage, who frequently offer a list or suggest a surveyor.

I'd love to see a good surveyor in action one day...
Old 30-07-2013, 20:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Actually I think that is a great idea. A surveyor, surveying the very boat he is about to take offshore.
But then again, it may be conflict of interest, he will profit from the boat purchase with a job...
Old 30-07-2013, 20:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Actually I think that is a great idea. A surveyor, surveying the very boat he is about to take offshore.
But then again, it may be conflict of interest, he will profit from the boat purchase with a job...
If you have a surveyor offer to do the delivery you should reconsider both your surveyor selection and captain selection...
Old 30-07-2013, 20:29   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi again, GG... if you have no one connected marine wise in the area where the boat you are inerested in buying is lying, I would call three reputable brokers, preferably owners of the brokerage business that handle the make of boat you are interested in and ask them each to give you the top 3 surveyors that they have used. You should get one or two surveyors that all brokers agree are on their top 3 list. Interview them by phone and find out if they have surveyed the model of vessel in which you are interested and ask for references of owners of those vessels. I know, it sounds like a lot of leg work but you are investing big $ so anything you can minimize on the front end should pay you dividends down the road or avoid a real money pit.
As I've mentioned before, you should get aboard the boat and spend at least a day or two poking around yourself, preferably with an experienced friend. Take heaps of photos and discuss any and all concerns with the surveyor prior to him/her making their inspection. If possible have them accompany you on the sea trial.
Hire a qualified mechanic experienced in working on the engines aboard the vessel and have an oil analysis done by the manufacturer.
If the selling broker gives you any grief about the thoroughness of your pre-purchase inspections, walk.
You can get a lot of advice from this forum as you know, so don't be afraid to ask.
Cheers, Phil
Old 30-07-2013, 20:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I've never been very impressed with surveyors. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic....but by the time I bought my recent boat a few years ago, I really felt like I knew my way around the boat better than the surveyor, despite never having been on one. He at least tried hard, showed up on time, and didn't complain about the Florida heat.

Smart money researches all known issues with the boat you're looking at and directs the surveyor to check it out.

My first surveyor came highly recommended, and showed up to the job an hour late, and reeking of booze and complaining he didn't feel well. None of which would have mattered too much if the work was good... Because of the insurance requirement for a survey - much like a home inspection for a mortgage - you get some underachievers in the system. Some buyers don't want to know whats wrong anyway, just want the deal to close. The surveyors benefit from good relationships with the brokers, and the brokers are in business to close deals. How many people use the same surveyor twice? I'm sure some do, but plenty of us fly in from somewhere, pay for our survey and go home, with little hope of repeat business. Not so for that brokerage, who frequently offer a list or suggest a surveyor.

I'd love to see a good surveyor in action one day...
...and on that note, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get someone competent to inspect the boat? Should I call a naval architect or a boatyard or someone else, maybe?
Old 30-07-2013, 20:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi again, GG... if you have no one connected marine wise in the area where the boat you are inerested in buying is lying, I would call three reputable brokers, preferably owners of the brokerage business that handle the make of boat you are interested in and ask them each to give you the top 3 surveyors that they have used. You should get one or two surveyors that all brokers agree are on their top 3 list. Interview them by phone and find out if they have surveyed the model of vessel in which you are interested and ask for references of owners of those vessels. I know, it sounds like a lot of leg work but you are investing big $ so anything you can minimize on the front end should pay you dividends down the road or avoid a real money pit.
As I've mentioned before, you should get aboard the boat and spend at least a day or two poking around yourself, preferably with an experienced friend. Take heaps of photos and discuss any and all concerns with the surveyor prior to him/her making their inspection. If possible have them accompany you on the sea trial.
Hire a qualified mechanic experienced in working on the engines aboard the vessel and have an oil analysis done by the manufacturer.
If the selling broker gives you any grief about the thoroughness of your pre-purchase inspections, walk.
You can get a lot of advice from this forum as you know, so don't be afraid to ask.
Cheers, Phil
Thanks Phil!

I am always afraid to ask brokers for inspector recommendations because they have their lists of people who don't "kill deals". I suppose if I asked brokerages that aren't involved in the transaction directly I might get a better result.
I was planning on having a mechanic inspect the engines.

How do I go about getting a manufacturer to perform an oil analysis? Are you saying the boat manufacturer?
Old 30-07-2013, 20:38   #15

Gg. perhaps it would help if you told us which part of Florida you were looking

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: