Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 15:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Bluewater Yachts

There aren't a lot of really shallow draft sailing cats. Most of them have skeg keels to allow drying out, and eliminate leeway. The best I know of are some of Richard Wood's cats, but trying to find them is impossible... I have been looking for months, and the one I found just sold before I could go look at it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 13:27   #17

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht

Lots of blue waters on the Mississippi near us. The owners said they are great for the rivers and large lakes, not for Rough waters. We have one body of water near our lock and dammm and a blue water had a lot of troubles just staying put to wait for the lock to open. We were thinking of them for our loop boat and decided against it. Good luck
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:27   #18

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52

Hi,

I just saw this thread and was compelled to reply...

I have had a Bluewater 58 in the Great Lakes for 7 years now and it is a GREAT BOAT.

I have had it in 6 to 8 foot choppy conditions on Lake Huron, (which is not rolling waves in the ocean but quite rough) and although it was certainly not comfortable on the beam it was quite fine at angle on the bow, so we just tacked to destination. We had white water go over the bow a few times but no big deal, the boat handled it fine.

We always run from the fly bridge, what is called a lower helm really isn't and is a waste of money for the manufacturer to put that on as an option, it is ok to start the engines and switch all the necessary power circuits but I know of no one that owns a Bluewater that actually cruises from that lower helm.

Many comments are made about the low freeboard of a Bluewater, and some say it is only 2 feet, and most of these comments are from people who have been talking to Carver salespeople... or never been on one or did not know how to handle the boat.

The freeboard is 53 inches and rises to 71 inches on full plane with a sharp entry and flared bow and 7 inch reverse chines, providing even more lift in bigger water.

I have factory DVD's of sea trials in 12 foot seas on lake Superior and the boat handles it.

We truly enjoy the river and canal cruising experience much more than open water where there is nothing to see other than water so for us and our type of cruising, it is the best boat and although I would exercise caution, I would have no problem along the coast...

The OP is absolutely correct in that caution is required and when you are in shallow waters, 10 foot bows are not required. For the type of cruising we do, buying a Marlow or Norhavn for big water would be like buying an M1 tank to go rabbit hunting.

One comment I would make relative to the trip on the west coast is that gas engines do not put out the power of diesels in bigger water, but are fine for river cruising.

The boat requires a good safety minded captain, but, I have been on a 65 foot Carver in such seas and in my opinion, there are not too many boats that are comfortable in 8 to 10 foot seas, unless they are 150 footers.

I took mine from Charleston to the Hudson river in the ocean and then on to Windsor, Ontario in the canals and great lakes, and there was only one day that we stayed in due to weather and on that day even the local fishing fleet was not going out. the rest of the time we were fine.

I am not trying to say that it is a big water boat, it is not, but it is certainly fine in coastal waters 20-30 miles from shore, it offers ample living quarters and more entertainment area for its size compared to most other boats. We have entertained 24 people at one time on the upper deck alone, and diesel fuel usage ranges from 2mpg at 7 mph to 2gpm at 20 mph. (4gph to 40gph) 10 times the fuel for three times the speed... which is quite normal for a boat this size at that speed.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:54   #19

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41

Thanks! Good info. I suspect that a bluewater is appropriate 99% of the time, you just need to be near safe harbor to hide that scary 1% of the time...
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 09:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9loser View Post
Thanks! Good info. I suspect that a bluewater is appropriate 99% of the time, you just need to be near safe harbor to hide that scary 1% of the time...
Either that or have good weather info like XM weather on the boat, like I do, and if it does look stormy, stay in.
Old 13-11-2013, 13:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

I would agree. I think RaySea and I have the same boat, and we love it. We looked at the various deep water boats, and frankly just couldn't justify them for what we do.

I still don't think I would be excited about crossing the Gulf of Mexico, but taking the shoreline of it would be fine. They are more than just lake boats, but not true heavy weather ocean going either. Oh the other hand we have had parties with 35 people aboard and the huge deck makes parties like that fun. For just two it is a great way to spend a few days on the hook, with plenty of space to lay out and relax.

Old 13-11-2013, 14:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I would agree. I think RaySea and I have the same boat, and we love it. We looked at the various deep water boats, and frankly just couldn't justify them for what we do.

I still don't think I would be excited about crossing the Gulf of Mexico, but taking the shoreline of it would be fine. They are more than just lake boats, but not true heavy weather ocean going either. Oh the other hand we have had parties with 35 people aboard and the huge deck makes parties like that fun. For just two it is a great way to spend a few days on the hook, with plenty of space to lay out and relax.
Amen Bro ! But your signature says you have a Beneteau???

I am looking to get another twin to my 58 to leave in florida for cruising in the winter months, rather than bringing mine down and back up to the Great lakes every year.

there are pics of mine in my album on this site.
Old 11-01-2014, 16:23   #23

Boat: Bluewater 55

Does anyone know of a site for the Bluewaters? I have a 55 and would like to chat with others that have Bluewaters. Bluewater looks to be closed down like so many others.
Thanks Bobby
BDARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 16:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDARCHER View Post
Does anyone know of a site for the Bluewaters? I have a 55 and would like to chat with others that have Bluewaters. Bluewater looks to be closed down like so many others.
Thanks Bobby
Not aware of such a site, don't think it exists. Bluewater has been shut down since 2008, the great recession got it.

anything we can help you with here?
Old 11-01-2014, 18:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

RaySea,

I must have missed it, but I also have a Bluewater Millennial 5800 (2001 I think).

BDArcher,

To the best of my knowledge Bluewater went out of business during the market crash. I don't know of an owners group, but if you have any questions I would be happy to help.

Old 26-01-2015, 10:55   #26

i am extremely new to this type of forum,but getting desperate.I own a Bluewater 51 coastal cruiser on a small lake in IOWA(hence the problem)! I have a leaky gas tank an there isnt anyone in our area that can tackle this job! Has anyone out there replaced a tank on one of these or have ANY practical solutions/suggestions?
mike10haken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 13:10   #27

unless RaySea Lady wants to purchase her for southern cruising!:)
Old 27-01-2015, 06:24   #28

Some questions. Have you pin pointed the leak? How much fuel is in the tank? Is it the front or rear tank? The leak could be a fuel line a vent line or a fuel sending unit gasket leaking. I had a sending unit gasket leaking when close to full.
Old 27-01-2015, 09:05   #29

the tank is empty,we eliminated all lines,filler tube,and sending unit.I only have one tank-starts under back bed up thru galley and stops at generator hatch.Im 99% sure I need to replace tank OR put a bladder in existing tank?? Any ideas or suggestions helpful.
Old 28-01-2015, 18:21   #30

I would cut the floor and remove tank and replace. Im not sure I would trust a blatter. Just my 2 pennies. Good Luck