Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 18:14   #1

Bluewater Coastal Cruiser

Hi, New to the forum and looking for owners who may have some information on Bluewater Coastal Cruisers. As you know, the Bluewater factory in Mora, MN closed a few years ago and I am not sure where to get some specific parts and service advice. So here I am. Looking to see if there is a Bluewater forum somewhere to chat about our cruiser houseboat. I have water seeping through the hull in two spots, both a foot or two from a thru-hull fitting. Thru hulls probably need re sealed, but wonder if anyone has had similar situation. Thanks.
Porch Swing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bluewater Coastal Cruiser

Hi Porch Swing,

There has been at least one other Bluewater owner on the forum but haven't seen them online for quite a while.

Regarding parts, I would guess that Bluewater boats, like most others, builds the hull, interiors and such but all the gadgets like engines, transmissions, pumps, plumbing, electrical, electronics, even through hulls are made by other companies and parts are readily available from regular marine suppliers. It might be tricky to identify some of the brand names but photos posted on this forum usually get the answer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 22:07   #3

Boat: 1982 47' Bluewater coastal cruiser

Hi there...I have a 1982 47' Bluewater.
I can't answer your questions...we've only owned our boat for about a month now but there is a guy on the trawler forums who has one also and has lots of good info about. His name there is kartracer. Not sure if he is a member here or not.
What year is your boat?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 03:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Another member "RaySea Lady" has a Bluewater 58 and been cruising it for several years. You might send a message if he doesn't pick up on this thread.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 09:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We have one and I would be happy to help if I can. But we haven't had any issues like this. Generally the parts are mid grade marine stuff, I am not aware of any Bluewater custom gear on the boat.

But if you have specific questions I am happy to take a look.

We have a diesel 5800 btw.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 12:54   #6

Boat: 1982 47' Bluewater coastal cruiser

This is my Bluewater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	126214  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 18:32   #7

Boat: Columbia sloop 40

Carolyn Phillip here...we have just just purchased a 1986 Bluewater 51' and also would like to speak to other owners. We are curious about the tankage layout plans and have questions about its electrical and other systems as well as problems to watch for.
Carolyn Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 10:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Swing View Post
Hi, New to the forum and looking for owners who may have some information on Bluewater Coastal Cruisers. As you know, the Bluewater factory in Mora, MN closed a few years ago and I am not sure where to get some specific parts and service advice. So here I am. Looking to see if there is a Bluewater forum somewhere to chat about our cruiser houseboat. I have water seeping through the hull in two spots, both a foot or two from a thru-hull fitting. Thru hulls probably need re sealed, but wonder if anyone has had similar situation. Thanks.
yes we just purchased a BW 51coastal cruiser in Bahs with leaky exhaust joint at transom...(see our post of May 20). If you get any input with good ideas we would surel appreciate hearing from you! Carolyn Phillip
Old 20-05-2022, 11:04   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

CP:

The post you responded to is 6yr old and that member hasn’t been on the forum in 5yr.

Sorry. Good luck finding advice.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 16:02   #10

Boat: 1997 Bluewater 54LEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Phillip View Post
Carolyn Phillip here...we have just just purchased a 1986 Bluewater 51' and also would like to speak to other owners. We are curious about the tankage layout plans and have questions about its electrical and other systems as well as problems to watch for.
Hi - new to The forum. My name is Steve and I owned and lived aboard a 1986 51 ft Blue Water for almost 10 years; three of which were in the Bahamas. My wife, Robin, and I just purchased a 54 lex 1997 vintage and are awaiting delivery in about 2 weeks. I'm also a marine surveyor, and although I certainly don't know everything, I'm somewhat familiar with the Blue Waters and particularly the 1980s vintage.

Just read that Bluewater was recently purchased and they are trying to hammer out details with IRS back taxes and things of that nature. Hopefully they will get up and running again. It was a nice boat that I've had in some rough weather and did not have any problems with. If you have any questions please ask me or you can PM me or get my regular email address and send me your questions or just a picture.. who knows? We may get together sometime and have a couple drinks at anchor.
WA2DDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 09:29   #11

Welcome Steve to the big wonderful world of BW, and thank all you kind responders to my plea for assistance. We just located the BIG leak on our BW 51 (abandoned & sinking at an island govt dock) we just purchased. ��It turned out to be the port exhaust tube/pipe at the transom, which seemed to have been put in was too short/tight and which came off on the previous owner's 1st trip across the Gulfstream. We located the cause, cut an access hole in the cockpit & temporarily fixed it with a makeshift rubber hose clamped over the joint. We also will replace our makeshift repair to the steering cables as well as the stbd exhausted cooling exhaust pipe on one of our young super 8.2 Detroits. Another new old boat is surely another new old challenging adventure!�� Special thanks & blessings to all you other BW cruisers!
Old 29-11-2023, 09:41   #12

Hi Carolyn,

Wow! Well, glad that is taken care of. I had my '86, 51ft for 10 years, living aboard for about 8 of those years and had few problems.

One thing I did was to throttle back. After I left a marina, I shut down ine engine and cruised at 1500-1700 on the other one. Took 3 trips to get used to the speed reduction, but once I did, I only brought them up to speed occasionally, to blow them out. The velvet drives had no issues and fuel savings was terrific.
All the best...hope we hook up sometime. We are still awaiting delivery on our 1997, 54 lex in about 2weeks, then off we go. Look for "Robin's Nest" around Naples, FL or in Abaco's.
Old 29-11-2023, 09:45   #13

Dear WA2DDL
Greetings Steve& Robin. Thank you for your kind response & offer, and my husband Don & I would love to take you up on that drink at anchor in Abaco > Dec when we return to our new/old BW parked there. We are somewhat computer--and particularly forum challenged, and do not know how to leave a "PM", and understand cannot leave personal contact info, but hope you get this.
Cheers, Carolyn.
Old 29-11-2023, 10:09   #14

Hi. Just sent you a PM with email on it.
Old 29-11-2023, 10:11   #15

OMYGOSH. WOW, are you a fast man! Carolyn & Don here, afloat in the Labelle Bellehatchee swamp with the 'gators on S/V NAY ("NOT A YACHT'- Don's big ancient & very salty like he). We just escaped my Western Canadian snow visiting my home and are enroute back to our BW parked at our Bahhhs digs. As soon as we are able to escape the usual 'hum-a-hum' of the continental big smoke responsibilities --hopefully before Christmas--we are heading back across the gulfstream. We would love to meet you & chat.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water