Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 11:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Blue Water House Boats

Yes, you can make it to DC or Baltimore if you follow the first rule of boating .... it's about the weather stoopid !

If you get the weather right for any trip on the water, life is so much easier.
Old 28-02-2014, 12:14   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah a good adventure boat. I saw one around here (SF BAY) just a month or so ago. Think it will be fine on rivers and the ICW. Baltimore and DC are possible on good weather days. Its never fun on bad weather anyway.

Yes, keep the gas engines, not worth going to diesel, unless your dad, likes lots O work. Gas mileage will not be great. Figure maybe 2-2.5 miles per gallon on one engine. 1.5 miles per gallon on two engines.

Boats in general tend to leak in the rain, usually in the most inconvenient places too.

Enjoy the adventure and welcome to CF.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 12:37   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttfr View Post

My biggest trip or question I guess would be if she could make it to DC/ Baltimore?

Not sure where I would find RV parks in DC near metro stations.

I haven't even began to think about the college in DC so all of this is still up in the air of possibilities.

Yes. Pick your weather windows, move in short trips if necessary. Good sightseeing along the way; enjoy it.

Do a search on threads about liveaboard situations in the DC/Annapolis/Baltimore areas, and if that doesn't answer most questions... when/if you decide, start another thread about where to actually dock/live. Some friends are currently negotiating to DC liveaboard accomodations, and it's not easy to solve right downtown just now. OTOH, there are indeed lots of options with access to metro, so you'll have lots of options.

-Chris
Old 01-03-2014, 09:10   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttfr View Post
( we live in Va right on the water and can see Maryland from the beach. ) And than once I feel confident, Take a maybe two day cruise to st. Clements island and up to the battle ship coves for some fishing, partying, swimming, etc with friends. After that its back to port until next year where I may do it all over again.

My biggest trip or question I guess would be if she could make it to DC/ Baltimore? I may be transferring to a four year to finish my education degree in a year or so and am thinking on living on the boat while up there.
Ttfr...

That's where this boat actually excels.... Exactly what you intend to do with it... A couple of warm sunny fair weather party days a year, and a liveaboard....

This is going to work well for you I think!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:48   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We actually own a larger version of this boat (the 58') and while it is not an offshore yacht, they are fine for coastal cruising. The general rule of Bluewater Yacht owners is never be more than two hours from protected water.

In reality the hulls are plenty strong to handle moderate weather, and there have been more than one caught out during hurricanes and coming thru just fine. The problem with the design (and this is really a trade off more than a problem) is they are shallow draft with a lot of weight low, and very flat bottoms. This results in a very fast roll period with a lot of slapping. Which is just about the most uncomfortable motion a boat can have in big water.

We routinely run the boat from New Orleans to Pensacola and have taken it as far south as Sarasota with no issues, but waiting on a weather window is critical for crew comfort. The boat can take a lot more than I would ever want to (and I have crossed the Atlantic twice in the winter).

The upside of this design is a huge amount of living space, relatively efficient planing fuel burn, and a massive bridge deck.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
We actually own a larger version of this boat (the 58') and while it is not an offshore yacht, they are fine for coastal cruising. The general rule of Bluewater Yacht owners is never be more than two hours from protected water.

In reality the hulls are plenty strong to handle moderate weather, and there have been more than one caught out during hurricanes and coming thru just fine. The problem with the design (and this is really a trade off more than a problem) is they are shallow draft with a lot of weight low, and very flat bottoms. This results in a very fast roll period with a lot of slapping. Which is just about the most uncomfortable motion a boat can have in big water.

We routinely run the boat from New Orleans to Pensacola and have taken it as far south as Sarasota with no issues, but waiting on a weather window is critical for crew comfort. The boat can take a lot more than I would ever want to (and I have crossed the Atlantic twice in the winter).

The upside of this design is a huge amount of living space, relatively efficient planing fuel burn, and a massive bridge deck.
x2

We've been aboard a couple. They are kind of a cross between a traditional motor boat and a houseboat.

No they aren't rough water boats but they aren't going collapse in on themselves if a duck makes too much of a wake swimming by. We've seen several running the ICW.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:27   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
x2

We've been aboard a couple. They are kind of a cross between a traditional motor boat and a houseboat.

No they aren't rough water boats but they aren't going collapse in on themselves if a duck makes too much of a wake swimming by. We've seen several running the ICW.
Agree with both comments in their entirety ....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37   #23

Thank you guys a ton. ^.^ You all are a huge help!
Ttfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water