Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 02:30   #1

Blue water cruising - Marine Trader Ketch?

I've just started looking at boats and saw a Marine Trader Island Trader 37 Ketch built in 1980.

I don't have that much cash and can get this boat in good shape for 22k. Is this a strong enough boat to make it around the cruising circuit, through storms and stuff? I was originally hoping to find an endeavour, but we're on a budget and all we need is a boat that's big enough and has a strong enough hull to survive some tough weather.

Any ideas?
RoskopfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 12:53   #2

just testing

test
messingabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 07:24   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
J:

I believe the Marine Trader you are referring to was also built as an Island Trader 37 and, as originally commissioned by an ex-TWA pilot (Dave ??), the Magellan 37. As you can see, the Taiwanese yards were quite busy ripping off each other...or perhaps cousins were sharing rights they never bought. All very common for that era.

Tough enough for which part of the Cruising Circuit? The design lends itself to sailing across or downwind in the Trades altho' it's broad beam, limited draft, wide sheeting angles and ketch rig are not going to allow it to go to windward (or even a close reach) terribly well. Like most Taiwan boats of its age, you will have to expect all the systems to be suspect now and full-time cruising has a way of quickly ID'ing those weaknesses. In addition to the age of the rig, condition of the engine, and quality of the electrical system, closely inspect the tanks as Taiwan found ways to cut corners on both fuel and water tanks.

Jack
Old 03-04-2006, 17:06   #4

Thank you Jack! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'd better just keep saving for an eighty something Endeavour then.
RoskopfJ is offline   Reply With Quote