Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 04:20   #1

Boat: Formula 45 Yacht
Best Overall Anchor for 50' powerboats

Just throwing this out to for some advice: I have a 45 Formula, approx 35,000 lbs. I have a bruce on the windlass. Was thinking about going to a Delta or a CQR plough. but after looking them over, I'm not sure about if I should change at all. Any ideas out there> Lot of grassy/sandy bottom down here in Miami. Thoughts??
mvelotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 04:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Best Overall Anchor for 50' powerboats

Wow, I get the first reply on an anchor thread! My advice is: None of the above. 1st choice Spade, 65lbs if you can get it. 2nd: Manson/rocna 65 lbs. For a kedge/second anchor: Fortress, as big as you can afford, but 25lbs would be nice. Lots of 3/8" chain, and 7/8" mega braid nylon line.
Old 25-04-2013, 04:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mvelotas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 05:06   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

It looks like it was designed to carry a Bruce anchor.
A Bruce anchor would be very low on my list, but your bow roller is your limiting factor. You may be stuck with it, unless you get creative and modify your bow roller setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula 45.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	59874  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 05:21   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If that is what the bow arrangement looks like the rollbar anchors will be out. I prefer a Delta over a Bruce, but if it is a genuine Bruce anchor (not a knock off) and it has been working well for you, why change? Also, I'd go with the Delta over the CQR in your case.
Old 25-04-2013, 05:28   #6

Maybe a manson boss. West marine in Fort Lauderdale has one perhaps you can go measure
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 05:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

a Spade or Boss would fit in that bow roller set-up, and would probably be better than the Bruce for your grassy sandy bottoms. Between the two I would slightly prefer the spade, as I suspect it would set better in hard sand.

But why are you thinking of changing? Have you been dragging with the Bruce? If not, honestly I personally would just leave it alone. I suspects it is an entirely satisfactory anchor for your boat and bottom conditions.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 05:29   #8

We carry a 65lb CQR (chain and line) and a 90lb Rocna (3/8 chain) on our 47ft 65,000lb boat. The primary Rocna has never failed to hold. The CQR is more variable and is our secondary. We do lay down a significant amount of chain and generally use a minimum 5x scope. We have anchored out many hundreds of times with this set-up.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 08:44   #9

Boat: Formula 45 Yacht

Thanks, Guys, for the fast response! But the bruce seems to give up ground ...slowly and deceptively!! Like when I have a rising tide and wind. Even let out more road after re-anchoring. Just don't trust it. A spade is not much different from a delta style, so I tend to want to lean that way. Would like the Rocna or Manson, but don't see it fitting under my bow correctly. And the CQR had great tests with the Navy and with independent testing. On the Formula site, I had suggestions to use the Fortress. It has the Navy's best test results, but not sure I would want that as my primary anchor on my windlass..
mvelotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 10:02   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Spade anchor is very different to a Delta. It would be your best option, given that any of the roll bar anchors are unlikely to fit.

Fortress is a great anchor, but is not ideal as a primary because of occasional problems not rotating to a new direction without breaking out, and when it drags it does so very quickly.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:58   #11

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

spade best all around with at least 30ft chain. will set fast dig through grass bury and rotate or reset if pulled lose. As pointed out before spade and delta very different. I have been using spades for many years got my first spade from Tunisia. You are right about the Bruce mine used to do the slow drag and would not set in heavy grass or larger gravel. Spades come in Al-Steel and SS( ss very big $$$) The new ultra also SS and costly is a modified spade and will also work well.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:46   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Forget the aluminum Spades. Go with steel. It penetrates better.

Evans I don't understand why you think Spade would set better in hard packed sand (than Boss). The Boss has a much sharper tip, with a flat blade, so it should be able to penetrate better all-else equal. The Spade tip has a triangular cross section, therefore thicker and less able to cut into hard bottoms. It's like comparing the cutting action of a wedge (for log splitting) vs. an axe.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:51   #13

Boat: csy 37

having experience in south florida, i highly recommend a spade/rocna/manson supreme style anchor. they are nothing like the delta or cqr. i would try to get one in the 60 lb or larger range, and all chain of course.

because the spade (no roll bar) can be hard to find, i'm thinking you could get a manson supreme or rocna and cut the roll bar off it it was in the way.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:22   #14

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Seems as if you need a new generation anchor without roll bar for your vessel.

As Evans has suggested the Spade or Manson Boss would be suitable.
Another new generation anchor the Sarca Excel (Australian built) would be very suitable but unlikely to be available off the shelf in Florida. Would need to be imported.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:31   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

because the spade (no roll bar) can be hard to find, i'm thinking you could get a manson supreme or rocna and cut the roll bar off it it was in the way.
Gosh, maybe you should suggest this strategy to the folks at Rocna and Manson. They could save a lot of money by not putting the roll bars on in teh first place.

Sarcasm aside, this is a very bad idea, since the roll bar is an integral part of the anchor's design.

Jim

Tags
anchor