Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 12:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best Center Console Fishing Boat for Under $20,000

Wx was bad last weekend so didn't go. Should go this weekend take photos and come up with a spec sheet soon
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 13:58   #17

Sounds good, thanks very much. If you don't mind taking a bunch of pics for us, that would be great. (We like to see all of the details, especially since you are located pretty far from us.) thanks again
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 14:33   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I need to take a bunch of photos to list her anyway, I'll take a bunch of good hi-res shots with a Digital SLR.
Assuming you guy's get interested, what we ought to do is meet you at the gate of the Navy NSA in Panama City Beach. I can sign you in as a guest. Then we go to where the boat is kept and have her brought out of the storage rack and put on a wash rack so you can inspect everything, assuming you like what you see then we can have her put in the water for a seatrial. Usually there is rough water at the passage out to the gulf and I want you to see her in rough water, for a 21 ft boat, she is exceptionally dry, partially I'm sure because of the 21 deg deadrise and high freeboard.
Old 24-01-2014, 20:52   #19

Boat: Hatteras 61 CMY, Hatteras 58 Yachtfish, Eastern 21 CC

Last season I picked up a 2006 21 Eastern CC for towing behind a large motor yacht in Alaska. It is a clean, simple, well handling, economical boat. They are essentially a semi displacement boat used extensively in New England for fishing and lobstering. At 25kn with a 90HP they get places fast enough with a low fuel burn. It fits your price point and will do what you want.
Old 25-01-2014, 04:21   #20

The Trophy bay is a really good boat for the buck! Give or take a year or two that same hull with a different cap was sold under Triton, Sea Pro, Trophy, and Laguna I think it was.. One of my favorite bay boats for the money for sure!
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 04:51   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

You've got lot's of options in that price range. Why limit yourself to a boat newer than 2008? I would much rather have a well maintained and properly upgraded classic than a questionably maintained newer boat or a boat without a great heritage.

I have owned dozens of fishing boats large and small, and have been flipping smaller ones for the last two years in the price range and size you are working with. The only one so far I haven't been able to part with is this 1990 Boston Whaler Outrage 19 with a 1990 Yamaha 150. It was in mint condition with a recently rebuilt galvanized trailer, recently serviced engine, outriggers and ground tackle. Price? $6250! I saw it on Craigslist the morning it went up for sale, I could probably sell it in the spring for twice that much, but I wont. It goes 45 mph on reasonable fuel burn. A small kicker would make it the smallest boat I would go offshore in, and I love the looks and ride. It feels like a much larger boat and the design is superb. Later models just got heavier and more expensive, with no easy access to the under deck fuel tank.

Nothing wrong with a Trophy, they make good boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9954.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	74583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9945.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	74584  

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 09:37   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glowprofishing,
Link to mine. I'll honor the price I gave you, even-though it's way below asking and Comps
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...sole-102162933
Old 25-01-2014, 10:12   #23

Thank you very much for sending the pictures. The boat is beautiful-it has everything we were looking for and then some. I love it. If it was me, the boat would already be purchased, but since my dad and I are going in on this together, I need to talk with him. He loves the boat too. The only problem for him is the drive to Panama City and the fact that we won't be able to pick up the boat until late June/early July- a problem for all of us. IF it doesn't sell by June (which I'm sure it will) we will take you up on the offer. I have your number, so I will call you in a few months if the boat is still up for sale. Otherwise, good luck with the sale, and I hope you can enjoy your new sailboat.

-Secondly, we have discovered in our searches that 21'+ cc fishing boats are pretty expensive to buy, maintain and fuel. IF we cannot buy your cc Trophy, which I'm sure will sell before June, we were considering keeping our 14' flats fishing boat and purchasing a 23' sailboat instead for offshore trips, traveling to the keys, and even Bimini, Bahamas. Pacific SeaCraft, Precision and Rhodes are what interested us-any advice or feedback on those boats. We wouod be morning it in pine island sound where the water is pretty shallow, so the keel could not sit too deep. Let me know anyone if you have any experience with cruisers in this range and how they handled longer trips.
Old 25-01-2014, 10:17   #24

Azul, The Good Life, mKane744,

Thank you very much for the feedback and advice, I really appreciate it.
Old 25-01-2014, 10:20   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glopro,
Boat is money, people will argue that, but that's the way it is. Assuming you use a boat only partially during they year, that is you aren't on it year round, yon need something that is trailered and not kept in the water. If you get a sailboat and keep it in the water, that will cost you more than a power boat that is kept on a trailer and under a boat cover, assuming your use is say 6 months use, six months storage.
Old 25-01-2014, 10:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
You've got lot's of options in that price range. Why limit yourself to a boat newer than 2008? I would much rather have a well maintained and properly upgraded classic than a questionably maintained newer boat or a boat without a great heritage.

I have owned dozens of fishing boats large and small, and have been flipping smaller ones for the last two years in the price range and size you are working with. The only one so far I haven't been able to part with is this 1990 Boston Whaler Outrage 19 with a 1990 Yamaha 150. It was in mint condition with a recently rebuilt galvanized trailer, recently serviced engine, outriggers and ground tackle. Price? $6250! I saw it on Craigslist the morning it went up for sale, I could probably sell it in the spring for twice that much, but I wont. It goes 45 mph on reasonable fuel burn. A small kicker would make it the smallest boat I would go offshore in, and I love the looks and ride. It feels like a much larger boat and the design is superb. Later models just got heavier and more expensive, with no easy access to the under deck fuel tank.

Nothing wrong with a Trophy, they make good boats.

That's crazy!!! I can't believe you got that boat for less than $7,000!! The whalers are beautiful too! Have fun on it!!
Old 25-01-2014, 10:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Glopro,
Boat is money, people will argue that, but that's the way it is. Assuming you use a boat only partially during they year, that is you aren't on it year round, yon need something that is trailered and not kept in the water. If you get a sailboat and keep it in the water, that will cost you more than a power boat that is kept on a trailer and under a boat cover, assuming your use is say 6 months use, six months storage.

a64pilot,

The 23' sailboat would have to be trailerable. 3-4 months in the water (which would be minimal fee if not free since I work at the local marina) and 7-8 months covered, stored on the trailer. Do you have any experince with any of those brands? I know you were interested in buying a sailboat...
Old 25-01-2014, 10:37   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowprofishing View Post
The only problem for him is the drive to Panama City and the fact that we won't be able to pick up the boat until late June/early July- a problem for all of us. IF it doesn't sell by June (which I'm sure it will) we will take you up on the offer.
Hmmm.... Wonder if I need to do some boat shopping in early June....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:51   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
The only one so far I haven't been able to part with is this 1990 Boston Whaler Outrage 19 with a 1990 Yamaha 150. It was in mint condition with a recently rebuilt galvanized trailer, recently serviced engine, outriggers and ground tackle. Price? $6250! I saw it on Craigslist the morning it went up for sale, I could probably sell it in the spring for twice that much, but I wont.
Well... We don't have to post the "I got the smokin'est deal on a boat" thread... It would take quite a long time to beat this one!

Congrats!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:56   #30

Lucky. I wish I could get that boat at $6,250. I'm only 17, I don't have an unlimited bank account.

Tags
fish, fishing