Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 05:02   #1

Best bottom paint

Newbie having the boat repainted for the first time.

My 2007 310 Chaparral probably still has the original paint on it since it only had 32 hrs of use when I got it last summer, yes 32 hrs in 9 years.

I am having it repainted and was wondering if there is a good reason to buy a better paint. Like is it woth the extra bucks to get a Interlux Micro 66 versus a Interlux Micron II ?

Does buying a more expansive paint imply that is will last longer ?

How often should one repaint the bottom of a cruiser ?

My boating area is the Potomac River where it is primarily fresh water.

Appreciate any insights, thanks.
Wolfgang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 18:46   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Best bottom paint

I can not help with bottom paint but rather I can add the Potomac river is a muddy river. I would do more research on your paint choices and read reviews. Then pick one.

Typically the more expensive the paint the better.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 19:17   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Interlux website has a great product selection tool. As mentioned above buy the paint that suits the waters you most frequent. Just to summarize greatly harder paints tend to last longer but don't do as well to inhibit growth, softer paints don't last as long as some harder ones but excel at inhibiting growth; again this will depend on the formulation and there is no single solution or they'd own the market. Best of luck
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 19:46   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If you do not plan to go into salt water for more the a few days, all you need is an anti microbial paint to keep the green from accumulating. It also depends on its travel time and type of boat (power vs sail). A lot of go fast boats don't need bottom paint if used often. Some paints adheres better to faster speeds. Another thing to consider is, If you go between fresh and salt water often, that kills both types of growth when exchanging environments.

Do the reading/reasearch on the different bottom paints available (legal for your area) and choose for yourself. Talk to divers/bottom cleaners in your area too, if available.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:08   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 409

SeaHawk is a good brand. I would start there...

I use SeaHawk Cucote with Bio added ontop.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Definitely not Micron 2 its a very soft paint for yachts and you will have it all off in a flash. As suggested International Paints have a really good website worth exploring. The other option is to ask around locally what everyone else uses and does it work.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:08   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang6 View Post
Newbie having the boat repainted for the first time.

My 2007 310 Chaparral probably still has the original paint on it since it only had 32 hrs of use when I got it last summer, yes 32 hrs in 9 years.

I am having it repainted and was wondering if there is a good reason to buy a better paint. Like is it woth the extra bucks to get a Interlux Micro 66 versus a Interlux Micron II ?

Does buying a more expansive paint imply that is will last longer ?

How often should one repaint the bottom of a cruiser ?

My boating area is the Potomac River where it is primarily fresh water.

Appreciate any insights, thanks.

The major paint manufacturers have selection guides on their websites. You enter your type of boat, usual speed, salt or fresh water, part of the world, etc. and they display a recommendation. Since you are in a colder climate, you may or may not be storing your boat out of the water during the off season. Some paints cannot be left out of the water once they are applied.

Other boaters and boat divers (the ones who clean boat hulls) will have good recommendations as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Other boaters and boat divers (the ones who clean boat hulls) will have good recommendations as well.
That would be what I would do, the best paint in one geographical area isn't in others.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:54   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That would be what I would do, the best paint in one geographical area isn't in others.
In my case, the paint manufacturers guide, the diver and the marina manager all agreed so it was a pretty simple choice. Not cheap paint but it does the job and lasts five or more years.
Old 09-03-2017, 18:53   #10
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

A suggestion for you would be:

1. First coat in red.
2. Second, third, and fourth coats in blue/green.
3. Last coat in black.

Any order after red works.

Why:

You can see the gradual progression of wear based on the paint color layers showing.

When you start to see red it's time to plan repainting.

Hope this helps

Mike
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint