Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 09:33   #1

bertram 33 transmission oil

Hi all

I have a bertram 33 fisherman with Cat 3208 turbos diesels that are suppose to be 260 hp. Was checking the trans oil level and and one is a little low. Thought I had the what oil it used and cant find it now.

Any chance anybody know what oil it uses in it? The fluid on the stick is looks almost clear and not red like auto trans fluid.

Any help would appreciated. Its not empty but getting close to low mark on the stick. Couldn't find a photo of it and dip stick is like the one on diesels but shorter and on right side top. Also 75V S/N RANGE DID NOT HAVE AFTERCOOLERS and these don't have intercoolers on them.

Shorty

shortstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:28   #2

Re: bertram 33 transmission oil

It will come down to the recommendations of the transmission manufacturer. My ZF Marine transmission takes 30W Diesel Oil. There should be a stamp with the make, model and the serial number of the transmission. Mine has the oil spec. printed right on a metal placard. With the make and model, you should be able to look up the specs from the manufacturer.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:47   #3

Thanks for the reply back. I finally located the tag on the trans which says its a
MARINE TRANSMISSION. I found their website and gave them a call and the model number and told me to use 40 straight weight oil in it. Not an easy place to get the oil in either but made something with long tube on it to add it.

Thanks for all your help. Shame the boat was never taken very good care of and has been a big learning experience and money. Little different than working on Large Corp Jets

I'm sure the Feds seen it they would have grounded it to the slip. Funny I paid to get it in inspected by two guys. Sure missed a lot of stuff.

Shorty
shortstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 17:45   #4

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

If like you say your boat has not been taken good care of, and the oil level is dropping, chances are that the oil has been there for a long time.

Get yourself an oil pump from ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Ma...0da6040e027790
pump the gearbox empty through the dipstick hole. if you want to be thorough, add fresh oil, run the boat for a litle while and pump the oil out again and fill with fresh oil.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, transmission