Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 07:08   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Bertram 28: Part Out or Sell Whole?

I have a Bertram 28 (1973) with a pair of ('95) Yanmar 170 Diesels with ~1800 hrs. I have been all over in this hull and have nearly 20K NM since buying her in 1993. For the last 5 years, she has been on the hard behind my shop, and has had absolutely ZERO attention. Well, time has come to enlarge the shop to build the Great Loop Boat and the Bertram is in the way!

I am trying to do a cost/time analysis as to whether it is better to take the time to pull the equipment, restore to running condition, and sell separately, or to just be done with it and sell as-is. Everything was running when she went on blocks, but there was a coolant leak on the STB engine and the manifold was pulled. Just speculating, but I'd think THAT engine will need a liner and piston on the cylinder(s) that were open to the air because a valve was open. BOTH engines will likely need turbo overhauls, belts, hoses, decals and paint.

The genny is a Phasor 2.2 KW with similar hours to the mains; it was also running when de-commissioned. A lot of other hardware would also have value I think. I have the shop, tools, and skills to do the work..... time however, comes to me as a cost center that can't be ignored. I have a local kid that can do the basic stuff, and my FIL is a retired Heavy Diesel Mechanic that likes projects that add to his retirement fund.

My question to those who have indulged my rambling post so far is:

Is the sum of the parts greater than the whole?..... Specifically ENOUGH greater to justify the time?
Old 26-07-2013, 18:03   #2

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: Bertram 28: Part Out or Sell Whole?

capngeo,

I would think selling the boat whole would be your best in times of money spent and money returned. Not many people would want to rebuild the 2 Yanmars. Try posting on Craigs List--there is always someone looking for a project boat. Good Luck with the Great Loop Boat....
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 20:48   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Capngeo, Seems to me that Bertrams are always wanted ! And with diesels it's even more better!! You should have no problem selling it as is or after repair! They don't stay for sale for more than a week down here in Louisiana! Just sayin they are easy to sell !!
Old 26-07-2013, 21:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm with bobconnie on this one. A little Bertram with diesels, very nice and rare.
Old 26-07-2013, 21:55   #5

I'd snap some pictures and put it on the market. Depending on how that works you'll know whether or not it's a better idea to part out.

If you like selling stuff and dealing with buyers it might be up your alley. Sounds like you already have a shop so you can just post stuff and tell people to stop by if they're interested. That's pretty straight forward.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 16:08   #6

Boat: Owens
Guy at my marina just bought a 28 Bert sight unseen and had it trucked 600 miles for a keel up refit. Put it up for sale, be done with it and enlarge the shop.

Parting out almost any boat or car can net more cash in pocket however it is at the cost of time which I believe you stated was at a premium.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 16:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What would y'all think would get the best exposure??? eBay? Yachtworld? Boat Trader? Craigslist? AND anybody care to guess a fair value? She would need a Keel-up restore job.
Old 28-07-2013, 17:27   #8

Craigslist is good for lookie loos and tire kickers but a lot of us seriously scour there for local gems. eBay IMO gets the broadest audience for the buck spent. Boat trader is all right but I for one never look there.

Timing sucks or we'd exchange phone numbers and make it happen. I'm not ready to commit to a project like it yet. Someone will jump on it though. Try an ad at The Hull Truth.

Craig
Old 28-07-2013, 17:54   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
What would y'all think would get the best exposure??? eBay? Yachtworld? Boat Trader? Craigslist? AND anybody care to guess a fair value? She would need a Keel-up restore job.
Hmmm. Even though it's not a cruiser, per se, maybe a classified ad in Cruisers' Forum?

(Call me a romantic.)
Old 28-07-2013, 18:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
maybe a classified ad in Cruisers' Forum?
Really?? Agree it couldn't hurt and it is free.

IMO he's already got more exposure from this thread than a project powerboat ad buried in there.

Craig
Old 30-07-2013, 02:15   #11

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I have a Bertram 28 (1973) with a pair of ('95) Yanmar 170 Diesels with ~1800 hrs. I have been all over in this hull and have nearly 20K NM since buying her in 1993. For the last 5 years, she has been on the hard behind my shop, and has had absolutely ZERO attention. Well, time has come to enlarge the shop to build the Great Loop Boat and the Bertram is in the way!

I am trying to do a cost/time analysis as to whether it is better to take the time to pull the equipment, restore to running condition, and sell separately, or to just be done with it and sell as-is. Everything was running when she went on blocks, but there was a coolant leak on the STB engine and the manifold was pulled. Just speculating, but I'd think THAT engine will need a liner and piston on the cylinder(s) that were open to the air because a valve was open. BOTH engines will likely need turbo overhauls, belts, hoses, decals and paint.

The genny is a Phasor 2.2 KW with similar hours to the mains; it was also running when de-commissioned. A lot of other hardware would also have value I think. I have the shop, tools, and skills to do the work..... time however, comes to me as a cost center that can't be ignored. I have a local kid that can do the basic stuff, and my FIL is a retired Heavy Diesel Mechanic that likes projects that add to his retirement fund.

My question to those who have indulged my rambling post so far is:

Is the sum of the parts greater than the whole?..... Specifically ENOUGH greater to justify the time?

Don't know if your Bertram 28 is a "Moppie" or not, captgeo, but David Pascoe ( well known FL boat surveyor and author) wrote a glowing review of a 30 foot Moppie; and he's a real tough cookie to impress.
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Bertram 30 Moppie - Bertram Yachts "A Dream Come True?

I don't think you'd have any problem getting the Bert snapped up for a good price, no matter the condition. And IMO, it would be a crime to break one up.

(now excuse me while I have a drool over it...)
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 02:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

She's a Flybridge Sportfish model... Same hull design, different cap and interior.