Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 06:29   #1

Boat: Robalo R245
Battery Set-up

I have a 24' power boat with a 250 HP outboard. I have two batteries with a combination of three battery switches. I have port battery off & on, a starboard battery off & on and a parallel switch. I have a group 24 and a group 31 battery. I can isolate them for overnight anchoring, but the majority of the time they are paralleled. I've been recently told that both batteries should be the same size and quality as the smaller one can actually pull the larger one down and could become quite hot. Anybody with a lot of battery experience have any opinions on this. I've had this similar set-up on a lot of boats over the years, both power and sail. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:44   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Battery Set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimden5 View Post
I have a 24' power boat with a 250 HP outboard. I have two batteries with a combination of three battery switches. I have port battery off & on, a starboard battery off & on and a parallel switch. I have a group 24 and a group 31 battery. I can isolate them for overnight anchoring, but the majority of the time they are paralleled. I've been recently told that both batteries should be the same size and quality as the smaller one can actually pull the larger one down and could become quite hot. Anybody with a lot of battery experience have any opinions on this. I've had this similar set-up on a lot of boats over the years, both power and sail. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Depends of the loads, if it's just starting and running lights maybe chartplotter I wouldn't worry about it. Basicly loads during engine running no worries. But anything substantial while not charging might create a problem.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery