Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 14:39   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Bahamas During Hurricane Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I was trying to show the damage and frequency of the storms. There are very few, if any videos on youtube taken while the storms rage except for the occasional nutty news reporter. I could have gone back several years and shown storms hitting the Bahamas during those summers... but I thought including just the three videos would get the point across.

I think you're trying to make the same point to the OP.
Oh, I stand with you. I just wanted to make sure nobody misunderstood and thought the videos were showing hurricane conditions. I wanted to support MarkJ's concerns too. Thanks....
Old 06-05-2014, 19:16   #92

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
This obviously isn't this year she's talking about if she hasn't purchased the boat yet, hired the captain, done all the upgrades and maintenance generally required to get it ready. So it should give time to make preparations and have options available.
She's already had it surveyed and the owner is bringing the boat up to speed so I think it'll officially be hers in a few days. I got the impression that she was talking about this summer in the Bahamas.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 19:42   #93

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
She's already had it surveyed and the owner is bringing the boat up to speed so I think it'll officially be hers in a few days. I got the impression that she was talking about this summer in the Bahamas.
Perhaps. She may be just planning to take it across from wherever it is. In the photos it does not look like it's the boat Footloose linked to. She refers to a 60' boat. So, as to draft and speed and things like that, we know nothing. Hiring a Captain, adding anything or making changes, getting a tender if it doesn't have one, putting in a new exhaust system sounds like mid summer at the best. And that's certainly dependent on a good, experienced captain. I was confused as to where it even is as she says the boat has been on fresh water in a boathouse. Her surveyor is from Fort Lauderdale.

She asks these questions, get's the conversation going, ducks out. Probably smart and what the rest of us should do.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:10   #94

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Perhaps. She may be just planning to take it across from wherever it is. In the photos it does not look like it's the boat Footloose linked to. She refers to a 60' boat. So, as to draft and speed and things like that, we know nothing. Hiring a Captain, adding anything or making changes, getting a tender if it doesn't have one, putting in a new exhaust system sounds like mid summer at the best. And that's certainly dependent on a good, experienced captain. I was confused as to where it even is as she says the boat has been on fresh water in a boathouse. Her surveyor is from Fort Lauderdale.

She asks these questions, get's the conversation going, ducks out. Probably smart and what the rest of us should do.
Yeah, I can't see her being ready to go until just about when hurricane season gets into full swing.

For some reason, she's not telling which boat she's chosen and is buying until she's actually closed, not sure the reason for the melodrama or why she'd want to keep us all in suspense. Maybe it's all about making the blog as exciting as possible? I would think she'd be wanting to ask specific questions about the boat she's buying and start getting info as soon as possible and she can't do that when she's being coy about which boat she chose. But then, the sort of "cruising" she seems to envision (motorboat with professional skipper) is quite a bit different than what most of us do anyway.

Next week I'll finally be following her lead as far as ducking out because as soon as I can get 2 coats of Horizons on my boat, we'll be taking her from C&D Canal to Salem, Mass via New York Harbor and East River (if weather allows). Looking forward to that after a too long winter!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:04   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
For some reason, she's not telling which boat she's chosen and is buying until she's actually closed, not sure the reason for the melodrama or why she'd want to keep us all in suspense. Maybe it's all about making the blog as exciting as possible? I would think she'd be wanting to ask specific questions about the boat she's buying and start getting info as soon as possible and she can't do that when she's being coy about which boat she chose. But then, the sort of "cruising" she seems to envision (motorboat with professional skipper) is quite a bit different than what most of us do anyway.
Because I am a real estate person, and in real estate I never talk about what I'm buying until it closes. I'm treating the boat purchase just as I would a house deal.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06   #96

Quote:

I don't think I have ever once ducked out on one of my threads. I sometimes get busy and can't catch up for a couple days, but I always read all of my responses.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12   #97

I think its interesting that some of you have mentioned not being able to haul the boat out in the Bahamas. Most boat owners that I have spoken to have indicated that the water is the best place for the boat in a bad storm. One guy told me that his and a few other boats in Jersey, were in the water and the only ones not damaged. He said the insurance company had wanted him to pull his boat, but he was glad that he didn't because all of the pulled boats were destroyed.

Someone else, an owner of a yard, told me that after Katrina, they learned to get all of the boats into the water during a big storm.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:29   #98

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I think its interesting that some of you have mentioned not being able to haul the boat out in the Bahamas. Most boat owners that I have spoken to have indicated that the water is the best place for the boat in a bad storm. One guy told me that his and a few other boats in Jersey, were in the water and the only ones not damaged. He said the insurance company had wanted him to pull his boat, but he was glad that he didn't because all of the pulled boats were destroyed.

Someone else, an owner of a yard, told me that after Katrina, they learned to get all of the boats into the water during a big storm.
There is no single answer for all circumstances. However, it's interesting that many insurers will sell named storm hauling insurance very inexpensively to make it easy to haul your boat before a hurricane. I don't think their actuaries would be making it so easy to obtain unless they had data suggesting that boats on the hard during hurricanes usually did better than ones in the water.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:12   #99

Quote:
Because I am a real estate person, and in real estate I never talk about what I'm buying until it closes. I'm treating the boat purchase just as I would a house deal.
It's just that in this discussion it is somewhat relevant. It impacts your ability to use the boat in various parts of the Bahamas, the time it would require for you to return to Florida, the people capable of a haul out, and the marinas with available slips for your boat.

As to haul out versus water, there are many factors. Very few marinas have slips designed for hurricanes, but when they do, it's a great option. They need to be floating and need very high poles so the docks won't rise above them. It's also a matter of where you haul out. If it's right at the coast and only elevated three or four feet, not accomplished much. But if it's somewhere like Jarrett Bay or Bennett Brothers then a haulout is likely a very good choice. Honestly, our plan includes both options. If in Fort Lauderdale we would leave them in the water. If further up the coast, closer to NC, we'd haul out.

As to ducking out, that wasn't meant in a negative desertion type way, but just that you hadn't posted in the thread recently. Fully anticipated you ducking back in as you have.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19   #100

Quote:

To my knowledge, there was one marina and only one in the target area that survived Katrina with little damage for the boats or marina. The other marinas in New Orleans were destroyed and the boats with them. The one that did well has been used by the dock builder to show what a properly designed dock system can do. Obviously the construction of the dock is important but one key many miss is having tall enough posts that regardless of the surge the dock won't rise above them. In New Orleans this would have mean 13-14' above water. I wish it was legal for me to add a properly designed floating dock at my home.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24   #101

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Seaworthy (Boat US) seems to favor haul-outs as a general rule; of course the devil is very much in the details.

Hurricane Warning - Seaworthy Brochures - BoatUS
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
There is no single answer for all circumstances. However, it's interesting that many insurers will sell named storm hauling insurance very inexpensively to make it easy to haul your boat before a hurricane. I don't think their actuaries would be making it so easy to obtain unless they had data suggesting that boats on the hard during hurricanes usually did better than ones in the water.
I live in Fort Lauderdale. Here it's very simple. There is not capacity to haul all the boats out nor is there anywhere to put them if you did.

Haul out to be good depends on the right set up. Creating space to store a boat hauled out is a major process. Haul out with poor support and not well secured accomplishes little. Good haul out on high ground. good supports and tie downs, adequate separation, potentially flying parts removed does improve the odds greatly.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:37   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'd go back to Galaxy Girl's reference to being a "real estate" person. It's the same rule with the boat in a storm, "Location, location, location,...." If your boat is on the hard, but the cradle isn't above the high water mark at the maximum surge, then you would have been better off in the water. If your in the cradle, but without tie downs, then you may have been better in the water. If your well inland with no fetch and with great holding & ground tackle, then your likely best in the water. If a big hurricane is near and you have a house, family and business to take care of first, then the boat is far enough down the list that you had best have a good insurance policy. Making fast rules about what is best requires a long list of qualifiers. Any short answer is going to be weak.
Old 08-05-2014, 14:28   #104

Quote:
Among the many reasons all the vultures who would attempt to jump in somehow and get it instead.

I once knew a small town bank that people would go to with their great real estate investment opportunities to get loans. They'd find themselves waiting for their answer longer than usual. They they'd be turned down. But, somehow a Vice President of the bank or his family ended up owning the piece of property.

And with the fact that you're in some opportunistic real estate ventures, that makes it more so.

Plus like real estate, it's not a deal until it's a finalized deal. For every one you make an offer on, a large percentage don't materialize.
Old 08-05-2014, 14:41   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'd go back to Galaxy Girl's reference to being a "real estate" person. It's the same rule with the boat in a storm, "Location, location, location,...." If your boat is on the hard, but the cradle isn't above the high water mark at the maximum surge, then you would have been better off in the water. If your in the cradle, but without tie downs, then you may have been better in the water. If your well inland with no fetch and with great holding & ground tackle, then your likely best in the water. If a big hurricane is near and you have a house, family and business to take care of first, then the boat is far enough down the list that you had best have a good insurance policy. Making fast rules about what is best requires a long list of qualifiers. Any short answer is going to be weak.
Even the insurers realize that, at least the larger ones. We have no requirement on our policy that we do anything. We have a plan, but no requirement we follow it. Just have simply outlined some of the possibilities. Actually the plan was a healthy exercise because it did force thought and document the various options in various situations. In fact, in the stress of an approaching hurricane, it would be a great document to look at while one's memory might not be as good.

I have a friend who before Andrew had a great plan for her boat. As it turned out though her kids were frantic. Her house was in an evacuation zone. Her husband was in Oregon on business. She got the shutters in place. Made her hotel reservations in Orlando. Made what turned out to be a 12 hour drive to cover 240 miles. Didn't even go check the lines on her boat. Did exactly what you'd expect a mother to do. She watched the hurricane coverage on television and all she thought about was hoping various friends were ok.

With Galaxy, you have a plan. If possible you execute it. But the single most important thing she's going to do is get her kids to safety.

Oh and my friend's boat only had surface damage, among the few at the marina not destroyed while her home was virtually undamaged as the biggest home damage was further west in Dade county.

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas, hurricane