Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 17:32   #1

Automatic Charging Relay and Solar Panel Setup

Hi All,

I am new to forum and have a questions about the best wiring setup for my newly renovated houseboat. I have searched the net for quite some time now and have yet to find a legitimate and proper answer. Recently I purchased a Blue Sea ACR Battery Link 7600 for my houseboat. My plan is to charge both my house and starting battery with the ACR off my outboard’s charging system. The outboard’s charging system will be connected to the starting battery. I understand how to hook this connection up properly and will be adding a switch to control the flow of the charge. However, I also want to add a solar panel to the system that will be connected to the house battery. My question is, how will the ACR react while the boat is under power, meaning that both the alternator and the solar panel will be producing a charge simultaneously at separate ends of the entire system?

I assume that this is problematic, but do not know as I can not find anything on the internet that discusses this same setup. Would I have to only charge the starting battery while under power by using the switch to disconnect the house battery? This essentially would charge just the starting battery while under power through the outboard and the house battery through solar while under power. Or would I be able to add an ON/OFF switch the solar array that could be switched to OFF while under power, allowing the alternator through the ACR to charge both battery banks, and then flipped to ON while stopped to recharge both banks again through the solar panel. What setup is more appropriate for the ACR that will avoid overcharging of the starting battery? Or do you think that it is best to just use the switch to limit charge from the solar panel to only the house battery, which would essentially stop any risk of overcharging the starting battery altogether?

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section or if it has already been discussed. As I said, I am new here and this is my first post. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Kyle
9louie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 17:58   #2

Re: Automatic Charging Relay and Solar Panel Setup

Here is what you can do.
Get yourself a relay that is normally closed.
Place this relay between solar panel and batteries
Connect the relay to your ignition. When the ignition is turned on the relay opens thus cutting out the solar panels from your system. When you turn off your ignition the relay closes connecting the solar panel back to your battery.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:55   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The engine has a voltage regulator.
If you put a voltage regulator on the solar system, hook it up and you won't have a problem.
They will work independently.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 12:52   #4

Thanks for your replies. I actually emailed Blue Seas tech service and was told that as long as I run the jumper wire on the ACR and properly set it up for dual sensing that I will be fine. The ACR can apparently handle the two charges simultaneously without any damage. I also suspect that the charge controller will assist with any overcharging issues I may have. My only concern is if my house battery is lower than my starting battery that the ACR will always have them paralleled which may drain my starting battery. I assume this can be avoided by inserting a switch somewhere along the system that cuts the starting battery from the solar panel.
9louie9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar