Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 09:10   #46

Re: Attention: Massachusetts Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
I will ask them about the heater only plugs but it's probably just that they wired additional shore power points for heaters. A lot of winter live aboards will do that. Some will split in actual outlets while others will have their port side on one shore power hookup and the starboard side on another. Others, like us, will have a winter only panel that they install in the fall and remove in the spring that is wired to a couple of outlets dedicated to heaters and dehumidifiers.

At Constitution you can get as many extra hookups as you want. The power is metered so it really doesn't matter. You are limited in how many heaters you can connect to each shore power connection. So most boats will have 2-3 shore power connections and some will mix 30 amp and 50 amp. We will have 2 30 amp connections to run 3 heaters (2 small fan style heaters on low and 1 oil-filled radiant heater) and a dehumidifier.

I know the owners of Whales Way are on the yahoo group but I don't know if they follow it too much. I am sure if you post on that group what you have for a boat and ask for advice on heating it you will get some good responses.

Someone mentioned shrink wrap and to add to that, clear shrink wrap. Creates a greenhouse affect during the day. But I think I remember Whales Way telling me that they stopped doing it because its not as affective on the big motor cruisers. Mattress pad heaters are another good idea. Redundancy in heating systems is another big thing. So either having a generator that can power some heaters or having propane backup or something similar. Again, this is all been covered many times on that Yahoo group so getting access to it will give you a lot of these answers. Ahmet on Waterdancer has some really great stuff on that group.

A lot of the liveaboards at CM do stay there year round. We are in Hingham for the summers and will only go there for the winter. So people do it both ways. We did a lot of research and CM is really the only truly liveaboard friendly marina in the area. They have good plans for liveaboards and actually like having them from as far as I can tell. One of the owners lives on his boat with his family.

I noticed last year the way Whales Way shrink wrapped. I was paying close attention to the different ways for future reference. They pretty much only did the bridge. There was another Hat, slightly larger, 70 I believe and they brought the wrap all the way down to the decks . Covered the doors, salon windows and all.I will probably do something similar to keep out the draft and it seems it would protect the decks from the snow. Plus, I'm not dealing with shoveling the boat. I hate shoveling.

Jesse, hope I get the chance to bump into you at some point. I haven't made a final decision yet on Constitutipn vs yacht haven. Constitution is a much better situation, but I'm having trouble getting past the yacht haven location. My youngest son loves Christopher columbus park and would move into the aquarium if I let him

Thanks so much for all your help !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-08-2014, 13:57   #47

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I haven't made a final decision yet on Constitutipn vs yacht haven. Constitution is a much better situation, but I'm having trouble getting past the yacht haven location.
We were going back and forth for similar reasons. My wife works on the Federal Reserve building so the commute would be a lot better. Then we talked to our friends on Whales Way. They lived aboard for the last 6 years straight and one and off a couple of times before. In all their time living aboard they never had to leave the boat because of bad weather/uncomfortable conditions. Twice last winter at Yacht Haven they had to leave and spend the night in a hotel.

That was enough for me.

Good luck.

Jesse
Old 28-08-2014, 14:12   #48

Quote:
We were going back and forth for similar reasons. My wife works on the Federal Reserve building so the commute would be a lot better. Then we talked to our friends on Whales Way. They lived aboard for the last 6 years straight and one and off a couple of times before. In all their time living aboard they never had to leave the boat because of bad weather/uncomfortable conditions. Twice last winter at Yacht Haven they had to leave and spend the night in a hotel.

That was enough for me.

Good luck.

Jesse

Jesse,
Was that because the harbor was too rough? Too much movement?

Constitution waters don't ever freeze over, right?

Old 28-08-2014, 15:11   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Where in Mass are you? I have a great local boat mechanic who is also a part time live aboard at Dorchester Yacht club. Pm me if you want his info for a quote.

Can your guy do more than mechanics, like re-seal windows, and things of that nature?

Old 28-08-2014, 15:46   #50

Quote:
Jesse,
Do you know what kind of heat the liveaboards at constitution are using? Does anyone with a fairly large boats use space heaters that you know of and how does it work out?

I'm considering using space heaters for now but would like to hear from someone who has done it before.

I've used space heaters to keep my boat warm... in Florida. You're laughing, but it wasn't easy.

We have 50A/250V service, but only one 50A panel inside. Five space heaters on low (750W) and one water heater (1750W) is about the most we could run at once. During the day we would turn off heaters in the bedrooms so we could use the power elsewhere. We were constantly checking the ammeter and turning this thing off so we could turn that thing on. If you don't have a second panel on a separate shore power leg, I'd be concerned that you won't have enough power.

Also, those space heaters are going to put some serious stress on your boat's wiring. I don't want to sound alarmist, but until you've tested it out, you should be cautious about the possibility of an electrical fire. You should have an infrared thermometer anyway. Use it to check on the temperature of the electrical connections. Thoroughly investigate any funny smells. Once I burned up my shore power transfer switch and another time melted the plug on my shore power cord. I've seen another boat catch fire and have to be put out by the FD. It happens.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:53   #51

Quote:
Isn't the Newport show in April?

No Mid September... I am definitely going... sail or drive..
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:33   #52

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Can your guy do more than mechanics, like re-seal windows, and things of that nature?

I will ask and let you know.
Old 28-08-2014, 19:59   #53

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Jesse,
Was that because the harbor was too rough? Too much movement?

Constitution waters don't ever freeze over, right?

Yes. Yacht haven has two basins. The inside basin is near the restaurants and the outside is closer to the club house. The put the liveaboards in the outer basin. And it is pretty exposed out there.

I wouldn't say boston harbor never freezes. If it gets cold enough it will freeze.

Old 28-08-2014, 20:43   #54

Galaxy,

Have you talked to Constitution? They don't have that many slips that can handle your size boat. I always have my winter boat plans figured out by Labor Day. Your options may narrow.

I would strongly recommend Constitution over Yacht Haven. After the third or fourth Northeast gale, the exposed location of Yacht Haven isn't going to seem so special. Are you going to have a car? If so, figure out parking too.

Charlestown is also a much nicer community for a family than Boston waterfront. You can also walk to Bruins games

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Galaxy,

Have you talked to Constitution? They don't have that many slips that can handle your size boat. I always have my winter boat plans figured out by Labor Day. Your options may narrow.

I would strongly recommend Constitution over Yacht Haven. After the third or fourth Northeast gale, the exposed location of Yacht Haven isn't going to seem so special. Are you going to have a car? If so, figure out parking too.

Charlestown is also a much nicer community for a family than Boston waterfront. You can also walk to Bruins games

Carl

Yes I have spoken to both marinas. They have both said thy they can take me. Constitution does get full but as of last week I was told I can fit. That inner basin at yacht haven gets very shallow when the tide goes out. I don't think I would want to be over in that corner . Also near the clubhouse is where the water spicket is located. Whales way had the best seat in the house last winter.
My truck is the other issue. Constitution has free parking and at yacht haven I have to pay to park. Yacht haven has a much better location for us. We have an aquarium membership. We can easily walk to the aquarium. Plus, the north end has a basketball court my teens can walk to, hay market, fanuel hall, Emack and Bolios. But, constitution has water all year. Filling my tank every few days does not sound fun in the cold. I'm not sure what I will do. Not an easy decision for me at all.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:48   #56

Quote:
Yes. Yacht haven has two basins. The inside basin is near the restaurants and the outside is closer to the club house. The put the liveaboards in the outer basin. And it is pretty exposed out there.

I wouldn't say boston harbor never freezes. If it gets cold enough it will freeze.

Jesse,
If you talk to the folks on Whales way can you please ask them for me who did the re-seal of their windows? I need to have a couple of mine done and I want it done right but don't know who to call. I'm pretty sure that I remember that theirs had just been done. Thanks.

Tags
Massachusetts