Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55   #16

Re: Are these true "coastal cruisers"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlazzomark View Post
Thanks, but do you have specific information on the boats I mentioned?
Let me see if I can be more specific.

1. "Normal" sea conditions along the California Coast are pretty robust by recreational boater standards. Few SoCal boaters venture past Points Conception/Arguello; few San Francisco boaters do more than peek-out the Golden Gate. Water can be big, typical afternoon NW 30kt winds drive pretty steep/tall chop. Coming north along Baja is known as the "Baja Bash" for a reason - the boat pounds non-stop with enormous amounts of spray squeezing through every crevice in every window, and anything that isn't secured in a positively latched cabinet becomes a projectile. Even strong boats have been known to have secured tanks (e.g. holding tanks) shift.

2. Boats that are fit-for-purpose for regular transit of these waters have (i) high bow and freeboard forward to avoid submarining into the backs of waves; (ii) Pacific Coast designed fishing boats traditionally have fairly plumb bow without a ton of flare to drive-through chop versus ride over waves; (iii) water tight windows and deck fittings (e.g. fuel fill and vent fittings); (iv) well secured accommodations and deck gear (e.g. furniture, cabinets, refrigerator, anchor and dingy do not break free); (v) decent access to systems to perform regular checks and perhaps repairs underway (e.g. pumps, thru-hulls, engines, prop shaft, etc.); (vi) fuel supply of at least 400-miles including reserve; and (vii) robust systems' installations such as redundant fuel filtering, air-equip style fuel fittings, multiple bilge pumps, electronics, large battery banks with purpose-built alternators, etc.

3. Many boats that were not purpose-built can still be moved through these waters with care, knowledge, and patience to avoid difficult conditions.

4. The boats you asked about are deficient in virtually every item in the laundry-list in (2) above. The boats can be moved along the coast, but would categorize the trip as a re-positioning versus coastal cruising. These boats are fantastic liveaboard boats - house-like qualities. Unfortunately, those same qualities do not make for open-water seaworthiness.

Good luck!

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome, also, Carla. As you probably realize now, everything gets advertised as more capable than it is. There are plenty of trawlers, the general class you probably should be looking at, that I would not take where you want to go. Hull shape gets compromised to get more interior space, windows get big an fragile such that a broach would sink you, and Wow! It can take a four foot wave on the bow! Take the same wave on the stern and you'll come to understand the origin of the term "being pooped."

Your stomping ground requires that you be along the coast for long distances with no harbor. That's when "Pacific" becomes a misnomer. You need seaworthiness within the bounds of "How much can the weather change before I get to shelter?"
Old 23-11-2019, 17:30   #18

Thnaks to all for your responses. You taught me a lot, and I will heed your advise.

Mark
carlazzomark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser