Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 07:53   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Anyone have a Glacier Bay or TwinVee?

I will be moving to the East Coast of Florida in few months. I am wondering if a TwinVee 26 or Glacier Bay 27 are big enough to use to fish off the east coast of Florida?

When I get there I plan to go out with a charter captain to look for myself but while I am up north any info I can gather will be great...thanks

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Anyone have a Glacier Bay or TwinVee?

Tuff,

We have a TwinVee 26, and a 24. They are both absolutely fine for offshore fishing. In fact two weeks ago our 26 was 90 miles off shore fishing for tuna.

We also seriously looked at the Glacer Bay (a friend owns one), but decided the TV worked better for us. It's a little more workboat finish instead of yacht, but everything is layer out well, well made, ect. For us the decision came down to fuel range. As I remember it the TV had about double the operating range of the GB.

In this size keep in mind you are pushing the weight limit of a lot of tow vehicles. If I remember it correctly the 26 fuel and ready to go is around 6,500lbs.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:15   #3

I noticed the TwinVee had huge gas tanks that would extend the range and these boat ride the best.

How much of a problem is it to have much of the boat open to the weather? Sun, Rain, Wind?

Old 31-08-2015, 11:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

I had a new 1996 Glacier Bay 26 Canyon Runner with twin 140 Suzuki's. It wasn't fast (26 mph cruise, maybe 32 top end which was much slower than reported) and it wasn't pretty but it was really good in a head sea. Lots of deck storage for diving. Stable at anchor for bottom fishing. It was the only catamaran at the time that you could lift with a forklift without voiding the warranty and it was very expensive.

None of my friends wanted to fish on it, a problem I solved by getting a Fountain 31 tournament edition.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:49   #5

Lol...yep, the Fountain 31 is a much better looking boat. How fast is it? How is the Range? How is the ride?

Old 31-08-2015, 13:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

[QUOTE=tuffr2;1904173]Lol...yep, the Fountain 31 is a much better looking boat. How fast is it? How is the Range? How is the ride?

With twin 250 2-strokes I would see 62 mph by GPS with 4 guys on board on a calm day. I would burn 90 gallons with the slow boat and 110 with the fast, good looking boat which had a much nicer fit and finish. I think it had twin 90 gallon tanks and the ride is fine but not as good as the catamaran. But then again, with the Fountain you could almost always go fast enough to make your passengers hold on for dear life.

The Twin Vees I have seen for sale recently have been extremely overpriced. And even fuglier than the GB.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 14:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Meh, I like the way the Twin Vee looks. But it is defiantly a form over fashion boat. On the 26 with twin 140's I think our max speed is around 45kn, but I don't have my numbers with me.

There is a reason why after Katrina a lot of the fishing guides in Louisiana switched to the Twin Vee. Fuel economy, range, ease of fishing from them, and price all lean heavily in its favor (it's why we bought a second one).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 21:08   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I have had a twinvee for about 13 years. We have had it in some pretty rough weather and it doesn't do well. The big wide bow tends to catch a lot of water.

We use it as a diving platform though, and any weather good enough to go diving in, she behaves great. The wide open bow makes a great place for suiting up and a great place to lay about.

With that said, I probably would not buy another one. Maybe we will get a Glacier Bay next time, I like them a lot... very different boat at a very different price point.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:36   #9

I owned a 26' Glacier bay and a 30' Hydrocat (which are out of business) (also owned many mono hulls, but love the cats)

The GB handled rough water better than any boat of similar size that I have been on. Yes it is slow, but that is the design. With twin 4 stroke 150's, and loaded, mid to high 20's is it.

I was selling my GB, and had a prospective buyer on board. For the sea trial, we were coming out of the inlet and was up on a HIGH wake from a 60' battlewagon. I got to the edge and looked at a 4' drop and said "OH $HIT!" waiting for the big bang as I went over.

Nothing! Just like I had gone over a small wake you cross every day. The man with me smiled and said turn around, I'm sold.

I would like a 30' GB, a model that they no longer make.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote