Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2011, 09:14   #31

Re: Anyone Else Have a Major Problem with Diesel Fumes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and how often do ye have to degunk the3 engine whenye use that gunk? veggie oil DOES gunk up.....
cfarrar-- think again--psychosomatic is a bad excuse invented by certain souls unable to find the right answer.
Have not known of this to be a major problem when the engine is run at sufficiently high temperatures.

There are many veggie oil forums out there...
jtimc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 09:43   #32

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I once got a tank full of low sulfur highway diesel, what a difference. I had virtually no smell coming from my exhaust. Since you say it's not the smell, I'm not sure it will help you, but it might be worth a try. Most Marine diesel is still the old high sulfur type.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 09:50   #33

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I live in a city with one of the highest ashma rates in the world, (also highest refineries). One of my relatives recently was diagnosed with "silent ashma", with symtoms simular to yours. The ashma is triggered by exhaust fumes. If you have CO poisoning, ashma, or MCS, a doctor is a good first choice.

Once you find the root cause of your symtoms, avoiding a reoccurrance is much easier. A sailboat with an electric auxilary is a good choice, but if you are looking for a good twin cabin gas cruiser, mine is for sale.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:55   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I live in a city with one of the highest ashma rates in the world, (also highest refineries). One of my relatives recently was diagnosed with "silent ashma", with symtoms simular to yours. The ashma is triggered by exhaust fumes. If you have CO poisoning, ashma, or MCS, a doctor is a good first choice.

Once you find the root cause of your symtoms, avoiding a reoccurrance is much easier. A sailboat with an electric auxilary is a good choice, but if you are looking for a good twin cabin gas cruiser, mine is for sale.

rofl. as intensive care rn and smarter than most mds as regards my ailment, as i have a 2-3 percenter condition, i think i can , as i have suffered this crap since i was 7 yrs old, figger it out some better than the doctors who sat in front of me when there used to eb house calls smoking their damnable cigarettes in my face as i coughed ......i have perfectly good formosa 41 and i refuse to change over to some ridiculous object just because of my condition. i hope most others who understand their ailments do similarly.
yes. i do notice a big difference in my exhaust when i use road diesel, which i tend to use as a matter of course, as marine diesel is waaayyyy more pricey--i dont frequent fuel docks unless i have to.
is just a lot smarter to not hang over the transom to see if water is coming out the exhaust..LOL
mine is not "silent" mine is cough variant secondary to reynauds disease, which, as i stated, i have endured since age 7 yrs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 12:09   #35
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

what makes me sick is exhaust from gasoline engines .. especially outboard motors. it is absolutely nasty compared to diesel IMHO.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:16   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

If you have access to biodiesel, try it. Even blended with petro-diesel, the exhasut is considerably less noxious. You can use 100% bio or blend it at any ratio with petroleum diesel . . . and you don't have to modify your fuel system like you do with veggie oil. We've been running a blend for about three years now with no issues (other than lower cost). If I had access to more, I'd run 100% bio. Lots of info online. Just google "biodiesel".