Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2008, 07:22   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Another boat sunk

There was another boat that sunk in my marina. I have been keeping count for several years and the count is:

Glass Boats - 8
Wood Boats - 0

Can't tell you why except I think glass boat owners have a cavalier attitude about maintenance. This last boat was less than 10 yrs old, I think.

The pic is too large to insert, sorry. This one is about a 26-28' Skipjack and was sitting on it's transome with the anchor pulpit out of the water.

The last one, only a month ago, was a 38' Uniflight twin diesel sport fisher. It is running now and getting re-wired.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 08:15   #2

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
"Can't tell you why except I think glass boat owners have a cavalier attitude about maintenance. This last boat was less than 10 yrs old, I think."

BUT... are you taking a cavalier statical view of it? What is the percentage of "glass" vs wood in your marina. In most I've been in over the past 20 years it has been about 90+% glass, 5-7 percent metal and maybe 1 to 2% wood... and most of them were dinks.

Now it would really be something if 90% were wood and less than 10% were glass....

It probably has nothing to do with owners of wood vs glass... only careless owners and better owners.
Old 30-09-2008, 08:33   #3

This is California. We get very little rain here, desert you know. The wood boats last a lot longer here but I will say there is a larger number of glass boats, no question. Just the woodies here have owners that want to keep them and most are classics so they get great maintenance.

Also, the harbor started a free crushing for derilic boats last year and took a large number of wood floating crap and trashed it leaving only the better woodies.

It isn't scientific, just an observation. My boat is wood and I absolutely love the quietness, great ride and comfort it has. Cooler in summer and warmer in winter too.

I get dry rot, termites, and lots of maintenance too. No free ride ever.
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Old 30-09-2008, 11:03   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473
I am in 50 year old marina with a near 50/50 mix of old wood to glass boats.
We also have our fair share of sinkings and near sinkings. It is my observation, in my marina, that the majority if not all of the old wood boats are owned by old retired people who have little to do but come by the marina and check on their boat on some regular basis. I would be in the category of old, not retired people who make it a point to go check on my 30 year old glass boat daily.
How many live aboard/stay onboard transients do you have? Most catastrophes in our marina have been averted because of the quick action from someone overnighting onboard whether they live there or are just passing through.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 11:39   #5

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Why'd it actually sink?

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 13:49   #6

They are still working on it. It has most of the cabin above the water but the transome is still about a foot or more below the surface. The problem they are having is it is so tight in that slip they can't get the bladders in a position to get higer lift.

I am one of two liveaboards here on this end and that boat is exactly in the middle of us. The problem I have is, we are on one side of the main dock at a 90 degree angle to it. I am in a 45' slip and the next slip is a 40 and they go down to 25' in 9 slips. I can't see that boat from my boat. Too many boats in between. The other liveaboard is a professional diver and all those boats on the end are the same size. I thought he would have seen it first. He didn't.

We don't know till it comes up but I have a theory. There is a bottomliner under the boat and every time he comes in he pours almost a gallon of pool chemicals in it. You know how bleach and rubber react.......
It is a stern drive too.
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Old 30-09-2008, 15:41   #7

You Won't Believe This....

The USCG went down to the boat today when the divers were repositioning the bladders and stopped them. The Coasties told them they can't dive in the water. They don't have a permit to dive in the LA Harbor.

Now they are pumping the space between a huge blue plastic tarp and the bottom of the hull liner/boat and hoping they can raise the transome above the water and then pump out the boat.

See what happens when Homeland Security takes over the USCG? Logic is tossed and stupidity becomes supreme.
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Old 01-10-2008, 08:59   #8

Broken Plastic connection to pump

They got the boat up and dry. The nylon/plaxstic connections that the pump companies put with their pumps, this one his bait tank pump, broke.

Thru hull was OPEN and the water came in, bilge pump ran the battery down, boat sunk.....end of sad story.

He only had 1 battery, no house bank.

Lessons learned here??
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Old 01-10-2008, 22:21   #9
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHead View Post
They got the boat up and dry. The nylon/plaxstic connections that the pump companies put with their pumps, this one his bait tank pump, broke.

Thru hull was OPEN and the water came in, bilge pump ran the battery down, boat sunk.....end of sad story.

He only had 1 battery, no house bank.

Lessons learned here??
And why would I be willing to bet the bilge pump was undersized too.