Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Anchored out for the first time over New Years weekend. Lessons learned.

We're still learning a lot about owning and operating a larger boat. For the most part, it has been a blast. What follows will probably cause many of you old salts to roll your eyes but it was new and exciting to us.

New Year's Eve, we motored down the Intercoastal Waterway and anchored in a little bay to the west of Sarasota. This would be my first time anchoring overnight or even during a tidal change.

Our plan was to drop the 10.5' Avon dinghy down and putter into town for our dinner reservations. We tied up at a small bridge and climbed up. My wife did surprisingly well considering the dress she was wearing. (she's pretty amazing)

We picked up a long hasp Master lock and used it to secure a 3/8" thick Kyptonite security cable to the dock cleat. The rest of the cable was locked to an eyebolt in the forward part of the RIB hull, through the gas tank handle, through a u-bolt on the transom, and through the cable lock securing the motor. That worked well. If someone really wanted it, they could have still stolen it but it made us feel better.

Dinner was good but it was well after dark when we returned to the dink. I had installed navigation lights ahead of time and we had a very powerful flashlight to help us get back. Driving the dinghy in the dark was another first but it went off without a hitch.

We tied the dinghy to the swim platform and went to bed. About 3:30 in the morning, a breeze popped up and caused some small waves. Didn't matter to the mother ship but we could hear this loud popping and banging outside. After three trips outside in the dark, we finally figured out that it was the waves hitting the 16" round, hollow tubes on the dinghy as it bobbed along behind us. Wifey came up with the idea to re-secure it in the snap davits (really dislike the Weaver system but it's what the boat came with) and then tie the painter around the snap davits to keep them from rattling. That worked well and we were finally back to sleep.

The next morning, we went for a ride around the little collection of keys to see what was what. After some experimentation, we discovered we can reliably get up on plane in reasonably calm water with our little 6 hp, two-stroke outboard at about 3/4 throttle when the bow lifts up and my wife holds onto the painter and stands up in the front of the boat. Yeehaw, we were cooking at what seemed like about 25 mph! Safe? Probably not. Fun? Certainly! Sure wish I had gotten a photo of that.

I confess to a little concern about it but the anchor held great during all tidal changes and wind shifts.

The Xantrex charger/inverter had different plans for the weekend. The charger/inverter is a Freedom Marine 3000 and the control pad is a Link 1000. When we arrived at the boat, the charger was not on. It had been charging and inverting (not simultaneously, of course) when I left the previous week. A call to a friend revealed that this particular model is prone to basically locking up and needing to be reset. By killing the A/C current, killing the 12 volt power to the control pad, then turning both back on, it reset everything and we were back in business. Quirky, but we can live with it for now and avoid the $3000 for a new Magnum system.

We also discovered if we shut off the shower while soaping up and only turn it back on to rinse off, we can stretch a 20 gal hot water tank for two people and can easily stretch the 170 gallon fresh water tank for three days, probably more.

Overall, a great holiday weekend and a good experience anchoring out for the first time. We're already planning our next outing.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:27   #2
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40
Re: Anchored out for the first time over New Years weekend. Lessons learned.

Fun times! Enjoy the boatin life................
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post

We also discovered if we shut off the shower while soaping up and only turn it back on to rinse off, we can stretch a 20 gal hot water tank for two people and can easily stretch the 170 gallon fresh water tank for three days, probably more.
Happy New Year.

Shower shutoff: Grohe faucet/shower handle replacement w/picture

Keeps the water temperature constant without wasting water to reset.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Stu, you have a place to buy that? That is what is on my IP, however over the years they have gotten real hard to operate. I'd rather replace if possible.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:06   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:

Overall, a great holiday weekend and a good experience anchoring out for the first time. We're already planning our next outing.
You guys must get really dirty. Our 130 gallons of FW usually lasts 18 days, that's two persons, showering daily and cooking and washing dishes (once a day) and even drinking some occasionally.

After a while you'll prefer anchoring to the tugging of lines in a slip. Nothing like it. And the view changes without you having to move around.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Stu, you have a place to buy that? That is what is on my IP, however over the years they have gotten real hard to operate. I'd rather replace if possible.
You can buy these Shower head shutoffs at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-3-2017 2-42-27 PM.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	138926  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:39   #7

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Many many times I have been awaken by stange things going on in the middle of the night. 2:00am to 4:30am. Mostly it is water slapping against hull or the breeze shifting and swinging the boat into and out of moonlight.

In a cove on fresh water lakes I have been awaken by a beaver slapping it's tail, by large jumping fish, by a bob cat on the shore walking around, by two black bear walking the shore breaking bigger sticks making a loud crack.

I have seen deer swimming across lakes, an eagle catch a small fish, snakes swimming across a cove.

One time I stayed in a cove with a bunch of sailboats and listened to the rhythmic clanging of their sail tackle.

My fav is waking up as the boat swings in and out of the early morning sunlight. 1st you are comfortable, then too hot, then the boat swings into the shade, then you are comfortable, then a bit chilly and the cycle repeats a few times before you are constantly too hot and need to get out of bed.

Oh, how can I forget waking in the middle of the night to a down pour. Going out in the rain to bring in items that I did not want to get wet.

Lol, I have been known to catch a cat nap whenever I can.

But agree, boats are cool and staying on one thru the night adds to life experiences.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:58   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
The Xantrex charger/inverter had different plans for the weekend. The charger/inverter is a Freedom Marine 3000 and the control pad is a Link 1000. When we arrived at the boat, the charger was not on. It had been charging and inverting (not simultaneously, of course) when I left the previous week. A call to a friend revealed that this particular model is prone to basically locking up and needing to be reset. By killing the A/C current, killing the 12 volt power to the control pad, then turning both back on, it reset everything and we were back in business. Quirky, but we can live with it for now and avoid the $3000 for a new Magnum system.
Thanks for posting! It's great to hear someone else discovering the fun parts of boating.

We have the same issue with our inverter/charger. Same disappointment when I first thought it was dead, but somehow stumbled on the "reset" fix before I got too despondent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yeah, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
You can buy these Shower head shutoffs at Home Depot.
You can, but those are the new-fangled, nanny-state, "safe" versions which leave a trickle running so you don't forget to turn off the shower. If you're smart enough to operate a shower all by yourself, buy the one I linked to, above. It is a "true" shutoff; just check the glowing reviews from people who've suffered through the "trickle" versions in the past.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 13:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
We have the same issue with our inverter/charger. Same disappointment when I first thought it was dead, but somehow stumbled on the "reset" fix before I got too despondent.
In order to kill the 12 volt power and reset the remote control head, the head had to be removed from the wall and the power wire disconnected. Not terribly convenient. This weekend, I'm going to route the power wire through an unused switch on the breaker panel. Should make the reset process easier.
Old 03-01-2017, 13:25   #10

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Thanks for sharing that experience. To the seasoned salty veterans it probably wasn't too exciting but to the landlocked landlubbers (me Lol) it was a nice respite from my desktop computer.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 13:37   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
O.O

My 150 gallon tankage lasts me about four weeks if I stretch it, which I pretty much do all the time out of habit.

I should be more luxurious with water when I know I'm going to tie up somewhere soon but I just...can't...do it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 14:08   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thanks, both of you
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:32   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Just reading about your weekend took me back. To me, every weekend on the boat was precious. Just sitting here smiling - thanks for that.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Just reading about your weekend took me back. To me, every weekend on the boat was precious. Just sitting here smiling - thanks for that.
You're welcome. Glad it put a smile on your face.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:43   #15

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:

I am assuming the first 120 gallons of water went toward filling the hot tub?
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor