Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-06-2008, 03:47   #31

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
A friend's father disposes of old hydraulic oil for a living. Industries pay him to dispose of it. He uses some of it to pour in the tank of his truck, a Mercedes I think, it runs on 100% hydraulic oil and it works fine. Not only is it cheap but he gets payed to do it. Friendly to the invironment? Nope, so it probably isn't a good idea. Also, considering the health effects of dealing with hydraulic oil, I can't imagine that it's a good idea to stand all day in the cockpit breathing in the exhaust.

/Hampus

Old 12-06-2008, 03:55   #32
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
There was also talk at one point of someone using veg oil as crankcase oil but no one suggested that one! There was mention of someone who was experimenting with it but no details and plenty of doubts!

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 13:15   #33

Re: Alternative Fuels

I would like to bring this back from the dead and with 3 years later what are peoples thoughts on running the inboard on veggi? I used to run a VW TDI i had set up to run on veggi and wondering if it's feasible to set up a similar system to a boat. I was running grease gear products and in my head have figured out a way to rig it in. Will it work???? IDK.

So what does everyone think now?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 08:20   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42

Restaurants SELL their old oil now. It isn't free anymore. Who is going to bother with alternate fuels when they cost more? I'm not talking about driving around town, I'm talking about cruising down the ICW, trying to arrange a delivery of something different at out of the way spots where you're lucky to find any diesel. Good intentions ran smack into a closed door.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58   #35

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
Thumbs up Re: Alternative Fuels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Essentials View Post
Hello again fellow boaters,

Well, after paying $1,000 for my last two (partial) fill-ups of diesel for our boat, I started thinking about converting to vegetable oil vice diesel for power. However, I’m having a bit of difficulty in finding individuals who can convert Volvo/Penta IPS engines to vegetable oil consumption and if there is a reliable/steady source for getting vegetable oil in bulk in the Miami area.

We were wondering if anyone had converted their boat from diesel to vegetable oil and if so, if they have had any unforeseen difficulties following conversion? We’re not going to do this tomorrow, as we firmly believe that the infrastructure – especially in the Bahamas and points south – need to be better established. But right now, it is looking increasingly attractive.

As always, appreciate any thoughts you may care to share.

Thanks a lot!
It is interesting to read the many responses this received. As the operator of a company that is actually familiar with this technology (Alternative Fuel Systems, LLC), I feel compelled to answer factually, based on today's market 3 years later. First of all, I have no commercial interest in the application of this technology to your particular vessel, we only convert commercial vehicles and vessels.
#1. Suitable fuel is readily available, including some islands in the Bahamas, and certainly in Miami; delivery to dockside available.
#2. This technology will not 'destroy' or damage your engine
#3. This technology is presently most cost effective for large consumers
#4. If you convert, you can still run conventional Diesel fuel if VO is unavailable.

In a nutshell, converting to Vegetable based fuel oil is pretty easy. There are two types of vegetable oil used, VVO (vigin vegetable oil) or WVO (waste vegetable oil) the only functional difference is cost. On today's market the WVO (which is centrifuged or multi stage filtered to be free of animal fats and impurities) is about $2.50 per gallon incl taxes and the VVO about $3.60 per gallon. Vessels may be exempt from some taxes.
The engine may or may not need to be fitted with different fuel injectors, depending on several factors too lengthy for this discussion and the fuel must be heated either in tank (preferred) or inline to the necessary viscosity for the application. typically a 'day tank' is required for most vessels. This is safe, proven technology in use by many companies and gov't agencies today. The vehicle or vessel is started on conventional Dino oil and operated on this until the VO reaches the operational temperature and then switched either mechanically or electronically (your choice) to the VO. Prior to shutdown, the engine is again run on the Dino Oil until the lines and injectors are clear of the VO.
A conversion on a small (350ci as example) displacement engine in a passenger car might run around $1,800 and a large diesel in a dump truck could run around $3,000. A recent conversion on a single engine (large displacement) Shrimp boat (no not a small boat, a shrimper) with two generators ran $9,000. So you see this could work for you depending on a lot of factors. A typical commercial operator at today's prices recoups their investment in about one year (or less) There are companies selling to do it yourselfers and companies doing conversions for 'retail' consumers, but you would have to search for these, I don't do referrals.
As a final note, the VO burns cleaner that Dino oil and meets the new EPA mandated emissions in most diesels without catalytic converters or similar devices.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:10   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavus4 View Post
I would like to bring this back from the dead and with 3 years later what are peoples thoughts on running the inboard on veggi? I used to run a VW TDI i had set up to run on veggi and wondering if it's feasible to set up a similar system to a boat. I was running grease gear products and in my head have figured out a way to rig it in. Will it work???? IDK.

So what does everyone think now?

Thanks
Not sure what you mean by Grease Gear Products. VO is still feasible for large operators or small consumers like yourself willing to to do some footwork as they typically cannot buy the fuel in large enough quantities for it to be very practical.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Restaurants SELL their old oil now. It isn't free anymore. Who is going to bother with alternate fuels when they cost more? I'm not talking about driving around town, I'm talking about cruising down the ICW, trying to arrange a delivery of something different at out of the way spots where you're lucky to find any diesel. Good intentions ran smack into a closed door.
Vegetable oil is now available at many ports, especially where commercial fishing fleets are based. It is not for everyone, see my post above, but it is not out of the question, and the base fuel price for VO should run 50% to 80% of Dino if pricing trends remain the same. There is a lot of data availabie to support this, and many State agencies have alternative fuel programs in place and rfp's out for bid right now.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02   #38

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

My Peugeot engine was designed to run on veg oil, so It was my natural choice.
I had also had 3 cars which had that particular type of engine and they all did excellent millage and service with no problems.

It has a built in heated fuel filter and with additional external water trap and filtration, will run on anything life throws at it.
Should the world turn upside down, I can burn dino diesel, bio diesel, pure veg oil (B100) 28 sec Kero heating oil (avtur) and even waste engine oil (via a magnetic filter)

Basically, anything combustable is possible, which I believe is the same situation for NATO tanks

Tags
fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: