Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2010, 03:22   #1

Boat: Looking for...
Advice on Yarding Yacht 36 Ferretti

I am looking for a 36' cruiser boat.
I have now a good option for a Yarding Yacht 36, builded by Jeanneau with Ferretti design, with two CAT 320 turbo, 800 hours well maintained, and it is 17 years old.

I would be really grateful with your opinions about this boat. I would be my first cuiser

Thank you very much in advance.
naveganteamotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 04:38   #2

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I'm sure with Italian design shes a pretty craft, where is the boat located?

Mid '90's powercruisers can be either awfull or perfect, it's all down to use and maintanance. I'd always reccomend that if you want to buy, it should be 'subject to survey'.
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 04:58   #3

Thanks for your reply.
The boat is located in South France. She is beautiful, FMPOW, despite she is an old design. I am pretty sure about hull and motors maintenance, but what about navigation?
Old 20-11-2010, 05:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveganteamotor View Post
Thanks for your reply.
The boat is located in South France. She is beautiful, FMPOW, despite she is an old design. I am pretty sure about hull and motors maintenance, but what about navigation?
Hello,

When you ask what about navigation do you mean the electronic navigation equipment like GPS, radar, chart plotter, depth, etc?

If that is your question then I would not worry too much about that. If they are original from the boat, even if they are working they are older designs. New electronics if you just buy the basic components would not be that expensive. Of course if you buy everything possible and they very best you can spend many thousands of dollars (or Euros) but you don't need to do that to have a safe boat.

I would be much more concerned about the engines and condition of the hull and deck.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 05:51   #5

Almost word for word of what I was going to reply!

Only thing i'd add is to ask what your use is going to be? If just a pleasure 'day' boat then what is on board will no doubt be sufficient. So long as you're in sight of land then to be honest, you don't need nav gear.

If you want to go further then you can easily upgrade the plotter if you want, id also reccomend a decent radar display (most decent plotters can show this as well so no need to buy two) as sea mist/fog can come out of nowhere in the Med'.
Old 20-11-2010, 13:25   #6

Thanks for your reply.

Please sorry because my English is not good enough in order to specify my question in a right way.
When I ask for navigation, what I mean is how smooth is this hull cruising rough seas.
I plan to use this boat in the Cantabric sea, and I have seen modern and beautiful boats here experimenting big problems crossing the waves. This is really important to me.

Here I attach a picture of this boat:

Old 20-11-2010, 14:15   #7

Ah ok, I understand. Well, I have not been on one of those but my experiance tells me that anything under 40-45 feet long will certainly pitch and 'slam' (crashing down after a wave) more than a larger boat. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable in a 36ft boat in a rough sea.

This type of boat has a 'planing hull', meaning it rises up and literaly skims over the top of the sea at speed. It's relatively short hull will give you a rougher ride than a longer one for sure and the only way to cure this will be to slow down. My own boat is 57 feet long and is 'semi displacement', that means it cuts through the bigger waves rather than trying to go up and over them, giving a smoother, if a bit slower ride.
Old 20-11-2010, 14:28   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
naveganteamotor,
The boat in your picture is a go fast type of boat. It likes smooth water.

If you want a boat for rough waters, you'll want a hull design like simonmd. The heavier the boat per foot/meter the more comfortable the ride. But it will consume more fuel per the speed.

A semi-displacement or a full displacement hull would be best for the water conditions you describe (a trawler).
Old 21-11-2010, 10:32   #9

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Unfortunately, 36' is the maximum length I can tie up in my marina.
A trawler is my favorite boat, but can't find one here in good shape in second hand market.

This 36 Ferretti is in very good condition (shape & price), and I hope she could fulfill functions of short coastal cruiser. Ferretti has a good reputation in hull design.

Do you think it would be a bad choice?

Kind regards
Old 21-11-2010, 14:09   #10

Like I said, any motor boat less than 40ft long is going to feel more uncomfortable in a rough sea, however, most don't see that as a problem because they simply don't go out when the weather is bad!

If you're just after a fun boat to enjoy then go for it, just don't take her out when it's too rough.
Old 21-11-2010, 14:41   #11

That's right. Thank you very much.