Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2010, 23:06   #1

Advice on Liveaboard Yacht

I recently came across what seems to be a potentially good deal on a 1992 3888 Bayliner. They got the boat surveyed last spring, and despite all of it's problems, it surveyed to 92,000, and they are selling it for 69,000.

The boat itself is rather nice- 38 ft long, 13 beam, shower, full sized fridge, fly bridge, 2 state rooms and 2 heads. If fixed up correctly, it would be a really, really nice live aboard. I am hoping to go view it tomorrow and get a better idea, but I got to see the outside and it was very nice.

I got the guy to send me a survey on the boat, and this is where the problems came out- and there are problems.

It has been neglected for the last year, and I think it has at least been partially neglected it's entire life. The engines have about 2100 hours on them, they are 2003 210hp HINO's.

The major problems the survey pointed out were these:
The Flybridge has a large-ish soft spot (2ft by 2ft), it started out small 3 years ago, and grew to 2ft that it is today. I am worried that this means the entire fly bridge will need to get the wood replaced.

At one point, there seems to be a line that got wrapped up in the propeller or the shaft that seems to have done a fair amount of damage. To quote the survey they gave me:

"The overall condition of this vessel is fair, normal wear and tear expected. This
vessel has been somewhat neglected for the past several months and needs a thorough
cleanup, including the bilges. Accessible portions of the interior hull were sound, no
blistering or de-lamination was noted on the interior or exterior above the waterline with
the exception of the flying bridge. Vessel had a line rapped around starboard shaft which
created fiberglass damage to the starboard shaft tunnel. Vessel currently has a severe
vibration on stbd engine most likely caused by a bent shaft. Exact engine hours are 2148
port and 2102 stbd as reported by owner."

I know how to do fiberglass work, and patching. That doesn't scare me, but I am uncertain on what would be required for fixing the underlying wood, and where the leak originates from. Given these major problems, is this still a good deal, or am I looking at repair's that cost more then 10,000 (about as much as I will be able to spend fixing the poor neglected girl up)

I would really appreciate any input! I have no problems doing some of the work myself, but I am worried that the engine may be busted, and I really can't afford to replace the engine.

Thanks!!
Relkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 23:11   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
thats shaft tunnel/tube yes. could be quite the pain. Get a yard to price the work and deduct the estimate.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Relkin.

I’ve never been a great fan of Bayliners; but have always liked the 3888 (tho’ I wonder why a vessel this small needs to waste interior living-space on an inside helm station; and I don't really like the Hino engines a lot - but at least they're diesels).

Depending upon where you are located, a bent shaft could be a major problem. Were you in some backwater, like Thunder Bay, I’d wonder if there’s any local competent to repair & reinstall the shaft, and evaluate & repair any consequential damage.

At $69k, I think the boat might (or might not) be a decent value. You need your own survey!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:40   #4

Slightly more importantly- If I try to negotiate before the survey- does anyone think/have a suggestion on arguments I could use to lower the price. I think I could definitely afford the maintenance if I dropped the price down another 10-20k.
Relkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 15:19   #5

Head over here BAYLINER® OWNERS' CLUB - Powered by vBulletin and fire away with any and all questions. Several 3888 owners in the Motoryachts forum. They can tell you what to look for,costs and value. Very knowledgeable and friendly bunch. It'll be worth your time...Sid
Sid22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard