Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2015, 01:31   #1

Advice Help?!

Ok so, I don't know if this is where I ask for advice but it's the only place I could find to post anything. Also I am a very green, New boat owner. So be kind please.

I live in Tennessee and there has been an ice/snow/rain storm for the past week. The length of time I have owned the boat actually. Anyway, the boat did not come with a cover so it is actually covered in ice right now. I am wondering if I ruined anything i.e. dash cluster, floor, seats, motor, battery etc? Also what should I do to remedy the situation? If anything? It's a boat, its supposed to get wet right?

Old 21-02-2015, 04:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Advice Help?!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, UMChaparral.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 05:13   #3

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Your situation is not perfect, but you're right, it's a boat. You might see some condensation in the instrument displays, but they're generally at least water-resistant assuming a decent build and install. Seats will dry, although freezing temps might be rough on vinyl. And so forth.

Common alternatives are to simply get a fitted cover (as you know) or tarp or shrink wrapping -- but that also needs to be able to deal with the weight of snow load -- or move the boat to inside storage in a boatel or high-and-dry or whatever if you have those around... or even a private garage you can rent. Assuming the boat is easily movable.

If your boat is trailerable -- Chaparral perhaps? -- you might check out The Hull Truth (.com).

-Chris
Old 21-02-2015, 05:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMChaparral View Post
Ok so, I don't know if this is where I ask for advice but it's the only place I could find to post anything. Also I am a very green, New boat owner. So be kind please.

I live in Tennessee and there has been an ice/snow/rain storm for the past week. The length of time I have owned the boat actually. Anyway, the boat did not come with a cover so it is actually covered in ice right now. I am wondering if I ruined anything i.e. dash cluster, floor, seats, motor, battery etc? Also what should I do to remedy the situation? If anything? It's a boat, its supposed to get wet right?
You don't say... Sheeeeeeeez! I thought we were going to slide under the crappy weather radar this winter... Now ya can't walk outside without ending up on yer butt...

You should be just fine... BUT... I would definitely cover the boat in the future... At least the dash...

Where ya at???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 19:17   #5

What kind of boat. Some boats are designed that everything can get wet--some others would be better not getting totally wet.
Old 22-02-2015, 20:09   #6

UMChap
The inside of the boat will dry out eventually. If water got inside the gauges and froze it may damage the internal parts. I would be more concerned about the engine and potential freezing of any internal water passages which may cause damage when the ice expands.
If you invest in a fitted cover, get one which can be secured enough to tow with. It will keep the boat much cleaner.
You can fabricate a winter cover out of a heavy duty tarp and a frame built from PVC tubing to keep the tarp off of the boat. The frame will need to be heavy enough to support the snow load.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Molly Brown
Surf City, USA
Old 23-02-2015, 19:59   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

Was the boat winterized? The boat is in Tennessee, so it was used in fresh water. You have to worry about water lines and engine freezing, and splitting.
Old 24-02-2015, 06:29   #8

Getting ice on a boat isn't evenue a thing. Around here everyone and I mean every one has ice on their boats 5 months a year. There are thousands of boats on the great lakes and they handle it just fine.

Your raw water cooling system and any other freshwater plumbing deserves attention. It should be drained.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2015, 18:48   #9

Boat: Albin 27 FC

UMChaparral, Howdy, It has been a little worse than normal here in TN but we'll be thawing out pretty soon. You didn't say what type of boat, or the size. That makes a difference. If its a little trailerable boat and it wasn't covered when you bought it, then it'll probably be OK. If it's in a wet slip, and a cruiser, then there's a lot of prep for winter temps. It's always better to cover it properly, no matter what size. A lot of owners here leave their boats in a covered slip, but we always winterize the engine and fresh water systems and I still cover the electronics anytime I leave the boat. I'm located on the little TN River at Vonore. See you on the water. Ben
Old 07-03-2015, 16:50   #10

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

It should be OK as long as she is winterized (engine, hoses, etc)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: