Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2014, 21:34   #1

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Active Noise Canceling Hearing Protection

I know, I know.....You're gonna tell me to turn off the dam engine and raise the sails.......

The higher frequencies coming from my engine are not a problem. The low, droning "growl" is loud and difficult to control with normal tactics (sound blankets).

I am considering getting some of these: http://www.noisebuster.net/

I do not require that these have the ability to withstand water or salt spray. Pilot House use only.

Anyone use Active Noise Canceling Head Sets in your loud, (above engine) pilot house?

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 21:49   #2
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Active Noise Canceling Hearing Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

Anyone use Active Noise Canceling Head Sets in your loud, (above engine) pilot house?

Steve
No, but I have used them in helicopter & fixed wing cockpits and they certainly work in those environments. Very hard to go back to passive noise reduction after using active noise reduction technology.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 21:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

I use a pair of Sennheiser noise cancelling headsets. They are very effective. I don't remember the model number. They are very light although more expensive than the ANR's

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 21:54   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Better to address the source for acoustics. The key is to determine whether the source is airborne or structure in origin. Structure source of noise is more likely.

Do you have an imbalance somewhere on the engine? Is the problem in fwd and reverse? Engine revs can be a good indicator. Isolating components can also be very informative.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

My brother in law forced some on my head a few weeks ago in a noisy restaurant. Bloody amazing! When were they invented?

I want a pair!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have not tried them on a boat but have used them on long flights for years. The brand I have is pretty effective in mid range to low high frequency sound. Not perfect but good enough that I'm shopping for a replacement. My experience and research is the technology doesn't do that well at very low frequencies so if this is your main complaint the benefit may be limited.

Also, after a few hours they do get uncomfortable.

All that being said, any recommendations for the best brand and model? Boze was the first in the consumer market and seems to generate reasonably good reviews (except for the Boze haters who claim everything Boze made is cheap crap and overpriced). Sennheiser does have a good name in audio and has been around for years.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've flown with ANR for years, will never go back, but the best headsets are good passive headset that have had ANR added, one like Bose are gimmicky, they are bad passive headsets that rely on ANR, but they sell like hotcakes because there is a huge difference when they are on and off.
These guys are the un-disputed kings of ANR retrofits in the aviation world, I had them build me a set for mowing the grass etc years ago, I plugged a bluetooth adapter into it, and now have music too. They specialize in aviation headsets and helmets, but will do regular headset too, these are not the lightweight ones like you can get at radio shack etc., these are great for noisy environments though.
index
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50   #8

I have also been using ANR aircraft for years. I would just grab a couple sets (I use David Clark) out of the plane and try them on the boat but they need to be plugged into the aircraft intercom to "activate" the ANR.

And that brings up a question about using on a boat (that does not have an intercom system). With these ANR headphones, can you still hear a person speaking that is nearby? How about the VHF? Do they shut out the entire world?

No way will I install an intercom and then "plug in" to the boat. I move around to much.

Steve
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Does it stop the voices I'm hearing?
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Better to address the source for acoustics. The key is to determine whether the source is airborne or structure in origin. Structure source of noise is more likely.

Do you have an imbalance somewhere on the engine? Is the problem in fwd and reverse? Engine revs can be a good indicator. Isolating components can also be very informative.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff,

The engine is pretty darn smooth and not terribly loud. I put 17 hours on the engine over the weekend and found that after a couple hours the drone was adding fatigue. Out on deck is no problem but it is fall (cooler temps) now, so I spent most of this trip inside the pilot house. You are right that these low frequencies are likely structurally transmitted. This is a metal boat and I think that this is not as good a hull material for absorbing sound/vibration as others.

In Panope's former life, she had a 2 cylinder (2QM15 yanmar) and that little engine always felt like it was trying to jackhammer its way through the bottom of the boat. The new engine (3JH3E) feels like an electric motor by comparison. The main issue is resulting from the pilot house "trapping" the sound.

Steve
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23   #11

have you tried insulating under the floor over the engine with real marine insulation, with the mylar, foam, and lead, etc...and mabey other places too! if i take the rug/rug pad in my pilot house up, its amazing how much noise it absorbs/stops...how do you hear the radio?...c
Old 02-10-2014, 12:50   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is what I have for non aviating but loud noise, like chainsaws, lawnmowers etc.
It a passive Peltor headset that you will often see at rifle ranges etc., it is an excellent headset for hearing protection. Headsetsinc put one of the ANR kits in it greatly reducing the perceived noise, I asked if they would put a 1/8" stereo plug so I could listen to stereo music and I wanted the 9V battery sitting on top as opposed to their normal auto shutoff battery box, the little box you see on one ear cup is a self powered bluetooth adapter so I can listen to music from my phone (Pandora) over bluetooth

It does attenuate some noise passively so of course you wouldn't be able to carry on a normal conservation with it on, and to heart your VHF you would have to turn it up loud enough so that it might be annoying to people without hearing protection.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm with Clyde, I'd try a thick rug with padding under the rug first. May make standing way more comfortable and may reduce the noise a lot
Old 02-10-2014, 13:09   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My boat suffers from both high frequency (twin outboards under the cockpit floor) and lower frequency (outboards clamped to cored structure) noise. Damping and absorption help some, but it is still tiresome.

a. Ear plugs. Not great, but they do help, are quite comfortable for most, and do not restrict mobility. I use them some, if it really gets on my nerves.

b. Drive from up front. Often I keep watch from the foredeck, where the sound is far less. I have an unobstructed view, can better hear and feel the weather, and I can get to the cockpit easily enough. In most summer motoring weather, the foredeck bench is quite nice on my cat, best seat in the house. No depth sounder, but I only do this for long boring open water stretches, where I will be reading a book, looking up with each page turn. It is by far the best location from which to spot floating hazards and crab pots, and an autopilot remote makes dodging easy.

c. Change speed. Often there are certain RPMs that are worse.

d. Sail. Often, for example, I motor a course so that I can sail later. Perhaps the wind is light and only 15 degrees off the bow; tacking might be a huge waste of time. I will motor straight into it (0 degrees), until the breeze fills in AND becomes 45 degrees off the bow if I then change course towards my destination (the bearing has been changing, since I was motoring at a slight angle). At least I get to sail half, vs. motoring all day with the wind a little too noserly to sail. The difference in time is often trivial, or even a savings (if I can sail faster than I can motor into a headwind).

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, rot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: