Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2015, 15:21   #1

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'
1990 Grand Banks Riviera 42

That's what my daughter and her hubby are about to buy as a liveaboard/island hopper based in Noumea (N-C), and they want to know what I think about it. Since I don't know anything about it, I'm hoping that somebody on this forum might.

They've been living in New Caledonia for the past 9 years, and both are avid boaters, jet-skiers, kite-boarders, divers, etc., but they've never lived aboard a boat, and they do have a 7-year old daughter. Granted, they won't be loosing much living space with respect to their tiny apartment, but since they also plan to travel with it, I was more concerned with how well this boat performed in high seas.

Thanks, as always, for your support

Jacques

Old 10-03-2015, 12:29   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 50
Re: 1990 Grand Banks Riviera 42

Grand Banks are great boats: well built, confortable and keep up their value better than many. While excellent for living aboard and coastal cruising Grand Banks would not perform well in the "high seas" given their semi-planing hull and large windows.

BTW, I don't believe there is a "Riviera" model; the Grand Banks 42 models of that vintage are the "Classic", "Europa" and "Motoryacht".

Old 10-03-2015, 13:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
Grand Banks are great boats: well built, confortable and keep up their value better than many. While excellent for living aboard and coastal cruising Grand Banks would not perform well in the "high seas" given their semi-planing hull and large windows.

BTW, I don't believe there is a "Riviera" model; the Grand Banks 42 models of that vintage are the "Classic", "Europa" and "Motoryacht".
Thanks Xlantic, that would explain why I Googled the GB "Riviera" to death before posting, and didn't find the slightest trace of it. As for the "high seas" part, that was my invention. I think they'll be sticking to the peripheral islands, assuming they go anywhere at all.

Jacques
Old 10-03-2015, 13:59   #4

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross

Riviera are an Australian based builder of power boats - factory on the Gold Coast in Queensland. At one time they did make Grand Banks under licence or some sort of arrangement. With Noumea being so close to Aus, it could be one of these...

Not a power boat person, so I may be off track a bit, but I think they built the Europa style. If you have a look on Yachts & Boats for Sale in Australia & New Zealand | Yachthub you may come across one..
Old 10-03-2015, 14:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
They've been living in New Caledonia for the past 9 years, and both are avid boaters, jet-skiers, kite-boarders, divers, etc.
Jacques
Jacques, I had a Grand Banks 42' Classic and used an Avon Jet 320 as a dinghy. It just about fits on top of the rear cabin, with an appropriate crane. Great fun for water skiing, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AJ1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	98663   Click image for larger version

Name:	AJ2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	98664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AJ0.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	98666  
Old 10-03-2015, 18:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
Jacques, I had a Grand Banks 42' Classic and used an Avon Jet 320 as a dinghy. It just about fits on top of the rear cabin, with an appropriate crane. Great fun for water skiing, etc.
They've already got a 21' Zodiac Bayrunner with a 150 Merc, so unless they've suddenly become fuel conscious, I don't think they'll be shopping for a dinghy any time soon.
I, however, am, and being on the upper Saint Johns River where manatees, gators, otters and shoals abound, I was thinking of buying a jet boat instead of a meat grinder to putter around in.
Bonnie (my questionably "better" half) had one in the early 80s and says they sound like leaf blowers, only louder (she knows full well that I will not hesitate to shoot a leaf blower that wakes me up before 9 AM on Sunday mornings), but are they really that much louder than an outboard at this point?

Jacques
Old 10-03-2015, 18:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit28 View Post
Riviera are an Australian based builder of power boats - factory on the Gold Coast in Queensland. At one time they did make Grand Banks under licence or some sort of arrangement. With Noumea being so close to Aus, it could be one of these...

Not a power boat person, so I may be off track a bit, but I think they built the Europa style. If you have a look on Yachts & Boats for Sale in Australia & New Zealand | Yachthub you may come across one..
This makes perfect sense, Spirit28, as the boat was listed as a "Riviera Grand Banks", and not a "Grand Banks Riviera".

Thanks for the input,

Jacques
Old 10-03-2015, 18:10   #8

You might also want to check:

Trawler Forum

A VERY active trawler forum with many active and knowledgeable Grand Banks owners.

St. Augustine, FL
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I, however, am, and being on the upper Saint Johns River where manatees, gators, otters and shoals abound, I was thinking of buying a jet boat instead of a meat grinder to putter around in.
Bonnie (my questionably "better" half) had one in the early 80s and says they sound like leaf blowers, only louder (she knows full well that I will not hesitate to shoot a leaf blower that wakes me up before 9 AM on Sunday mornings), but are they really that much louder than an outboard at this point?
Mine has a Yamaha 2-stroke, 80 hp engine. Same type of engine as used in jet skis. While not as loud as leaf blower, it is noisier (and smokier) than a a modern 4-stroke outboard engine, particularly at idle. But most jet dinghies made in the last 10 years have 4-stroke engines which are quieter and cleaner.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
You might also want to check:

Trawler Forum

A VERY active trawler forum with many active and knowledgeable Grand Banks owners.
There also this forum:

International Association of Grand Banks Owners
Old 11-03-2015, 04:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit28 View Post
Riviera are an Australian based builder of power boats - factory on the Gold Coast in Queensland. At one time they did make Grand Banks under licence or some sort of arrangement.
Correct, in the late 80s Riviera built some GB36 Sedans and GB42 Classics, according to a post in the "International Association of Grand Banks Owners" forum.

http://www.grandbanksowners.com/gbb/...hlight=riviera
Old 12-03-2015, 01:28   #12

Thanks all,

I'll tell the kids to look into those sites (they need to spruce up on their English anyway).

Jacques

Tags
grand banks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: