Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 01:22   #1

1984 40' Burn Craft Motor Yacht for live aboard

My wife and I are looking for a boat where we can live aboard. I found a 1984 40' Burn Craft Motor Yacht. It has two staterooms. Two heads with showers. A fully equipped galley with a nice size salon and dinette. It also has a large fully covered outdoor deck area. Like many people I had not heard of the brand. After doing some research it seems they were somewhat popular in the 70's and 80's. I do not have a great deal of boating experience so I have no intent on taking the boat out for cruises or bringing it up and down the coast. I plan on finding an affordable slip with water and ship to shore power and using the boat as a floating apartment. I've heard a lot of horror stories where people buy boats that seem like a good deal and then end up sinking dollar after dollar into the boat. While this is an older boat and a fairly unknown name I have myself convinced that because I won't be actually cruising and running the boat I should be able to avoid the costly expenses of major system repairs. When the boat arrives to the slip I plan on having both engines winterized and remaining untouched. My hope is that this will eliminate corrison and damage to the engines that can occur when gas sits in them and the tanks and they are not run. If I have a surveyor look at the motors and hull and everything checks out are there many other major unknowns I am being ignorant to? Our goal with this live aboard is to buy the boat outright (the seller accepted a $24k offer) and pay about $5000 a year for the slip thus allowing us to save substanially more money for a future house then if we continue to pay rent that's 4x that annual amount. I'm looking for any advice or cautionary information I am be failing to consider. Thanks!
Specora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 1984 40' Burn Craft Motor Yacht for live aboard

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Specora.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:18   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Moving from an expensive appartment to either a camper or a boat does make some sense to me.

Be aware there really is not enough storage space for clothing in either a camper nor a boat that size.

I would check more places to live on land, maybe a camping trailer in an RV Park with an annual lot fee. You could buy a nice 5th wheel, pay to have it moved, hook it up cable, sewage, electric, water plus park your car at the site. A 5th wheel camper will not sink.

Since you are not interested in boating why but a boat?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:54   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Sure you should give things a try. Just do not burn any bridges so that should you find the lifestyle is not what you want, you can always go back, or forward, to another option.

The boat looks like a huge volume craft so you will likely enjoy the space. If your area is hot, then plan for awnings, insulation and/or aircon accordingly - boats with big windows / flat roofs tend to get very hot during long sunny days.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specora View Post
My wife and I are looking for a boat where we can live aboard. I found a 1984 40' Burn Craft Motor Yacht. It has two staterooms. Two heads with showers. A fully equipped galley with a nice size salon and dinette. It also has a large fully covered outdoor deck area. Like many people I had not heard of the brand. After doing some research it seems they were somewhat popular in the 70's and 80's. I do not have a great deal of boating experience so I have no intent on taking the boat out for cruises or bringing it up and down the coast. I plan on finding an affordable slip with water and ship to shore power and using the boat as a floating apartment. I've heard a lot of horror stories where people buy boats that seem like a good deal and then end up sinking dollar after dollar into the boat. While this is an older boat and a fairly unknown name I have myself convinced that because I won't be actually cruising and running the boat I should be able to avoid the costly expenses of major system repairs. When the boat arrives to the slip I plan on having both engines winterized and remaining untouched. My hope is that this will eliminate corrison and damage to the engines that can occur when gas sits in them and the tanks and they are not run. If I have a surveyor look at the motors and hull and everything checks out are there many other major unknowns I am being ignorant to? Our goal with this live aboard is to buy the boat outright (the seller accepted a $24k offer) and pay about $5000 a year for the slip thus allowing us to save substanially more money for a future house then if we continue to pay rent that's 4x that annual amount. I'm looking for any advice or cautionary information I am be failing to consider. Thanks!

Hi.

If you are in an area with freezing temperatures, an inspection of the exhaust system may be in order.

You may also consider haul outs for bottom paint. The boat needs to be operable. If all that is required in your situation is turning a seacock then the ignition key then you should be fine.

For the winterization plan on the engines, consider the old fuel in the tanks, old fuel in the carburetors of gasoline engines or old fuel in the injector plumbing of diesels. All of these scenarios can be an expensive repair if neglected.

All the Best
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:09   #6

I failed to mention that a 5th wheel camper like the #1 selling Montana will be insulated ok to be comfotable in semi cold weather. You leave all untilities hooked up with no special consideration unless cold for a long period of time. Then the water line needs insulated.

For 20k you can buy a 2010 (ish) Montana. Maybe you can find one with the smallish stacked washer/dryer.

Take a look at RV resorts in the area and ask about 'full-time' site cost.

Typically a RV Park will have activities, swimming pool, social people. Overall RV Parks/Resorts are much nicer than the typical Marina.

Again if I did not like boats or plan on using it to cruise I would not buy a PITA boat.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Cruising or not, keep the engines in running condition. Start at least twice a year and use fuel conditioner in the fuel. Also, keep up the zincs. Any improper wiring can dissolve metal fittings, like props and so on.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 13:19   #8

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Marinas require insurance, to get insurance you will very likely need a survey. Even not using the boat it'll need hauled out once a year or so for hull maintenance and anode replacement, if it's not in running condition then it'll need towed to the lift well, or you could hire a diver. I'll 2nd the RV would be a better choice for you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 09:53   #9

Boat: 1939 Richardson Cruisabout 33

There was a Burns-Craft at a neighboring marina for years here in Ohio. As I recall it was very beamy and large. But also appeared to be built a bit on the light side. That might be okay for an "apartment" boat, but not necessarily good if you decide to venture out on some open water. The only way you will ever know - if you are serious, hire a surveyor. Might cost $1,500-2,000 but you likely will be able to find deficiencies where you can negotiate the purchase price down, or that are so bad you run away from the boat screaming.
Kentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:13   #10

Boat: Viking Motoryacht 44'

We live aboard (and travel with) our 1983 Viking 44' MY. I found there was plenty of room if you plan carefully and store anything you don't need elsewhere. The back of my SUV is in fact part storage for things I may need (documents, extra bedding, warmer clothes, etc).

One thing I could not do without is a good washer/dryer. Second is a good working AC/Heat system.

Plan to spend money on maintenance - it is reasonable - but if you have been renting this was not likely a line item in your budget. Maintenance for us due to living aboard is regular bilge and MSD conditioning/cleaning products, exterior cleaner and wax, your canvas/isinglass will need annual inspection/cost for sewing and repair needs, occasional carpet shampoo, etc.

The marina we stay in requires that all boats are travel ready - working engines and anchors ready in case something happens and they (or us) need to move the boat due to emergencies (fire/storm/etc) so you will want to check with the marina you are looking at to find out what they require. We are in a marina with floating docks and during bad storms they may need to move the boats to the river or use the anchors to keep the docks in place (rarely happens but does happen). And make sure they allow live-aboards - many do not.

Good luck. I get the draw of living on a boat even if not traveling - living on the water is the best thing we ever did and we love it. For that price I would think you will have a hard time finding a large enough boat that is also safe and seaworthy.
hkkelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 11:00   #11
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Great idea,
I have a 53' Hatteras. Dock her in Philly in the Summer, Carolinas in the Winter.

I also would maintain those engines. After about a month on that boat you will realize a cheap vacation is sitting right under you.

Selling that boat without running engines will get you about a $1000 in the resale market.

Get a local storage unit for rarely used items and bikes, off season clothes, bulk food items, tools, etc...

Good luck
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 11:22   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Marinas require insurance, to get insurance you will very likely need a survey. Even not using the boat it'll need hauled out once a year or so for hull maintenance and anode replacement, if it's not in running condition then it'll need towed to the lift well, or you could hire a diver. I'll 2nd the RV would be a better choice for you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm betting marinas are only interested in liability insurance?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:28   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Live in a campground with back to back RV's for a view? Don't think so. You have a good plan, stick to it.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:37   #14

Crappy marina = crappy RV park. No differece.

Nice RV Resort probably nicer and less expensive than Condo Marina.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471116972293.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	129511   Click image for larger version

Name:	1471117064901.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	129513  

Old 13-08-2016, 14:12   #15

Many marina's are getting away from live aboard docks because they get to looking like trailer trash with too many plants and clothes hanging on railings etc. I have a 50 cruiser now and gave up 40 ft motor home. There are beautiful waterfront RV sites available. We are now planning the Great Loop!
JoJoLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, yacht