Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2010, 10:24   #1

1979 Marine Trader 49

Hello
Anybody have experience with this boat?
How this hull act in the heavy seas?
Any problem with construction?
I am looking to take a project. Any advice?

Thanks

Old 21-10-2010, 11:25   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Wecome to the forum Victor

Old 21-10-2010, 11:32   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
for questions particular to leaky teakies, as some of us LOVINGLY call our boats, please see leaky teaky yacht club in yahoo groups as a supplement to this lovely spot-- gives a lot of good info-- there are a few island traders and china clippeers in there, too-- they even allow hans christians, a those were also made in the same yards and under the same conditions as our formsas and island traders and such.
is a bunch of folks owning taiwanese built boats-- at first, just formosas, added island traders and young sun, and who ever wants to know specifically about these boats. come on down!!! i promise it wont detract from htis forum--is a good supplement for those wanting to know specifically about our boats
i promise you will know the good and the bad and the ugly about these boats nd in more detail than you probably wanted. these folks know lot about
the boats that built a passion in hteir souls--is what our inflicrtion is, btw-- a passion for these leaky teaky beauties. they ar fixable and useable in heavy seas with comfort and grace. there are ways to minimalize the negatives and pronounce the good-- so these are able to become quite the world cruiser--each one is individual and tuned to the individual who restored her, s well as the original fact that these were all made different from each other-- the best knowlege base i have found on these awesome boats is the leaky teaky yacht club, formerly formosa owners group.. we made them change the name.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:02   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
Victor is seeking any information from anyone with direct experience with Marine Trader trawlers, not Island Trader sailboats.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i am not sure if we have a trawler inour group-- i thought we did..... arent those also made in taiwan?/ we have a good data base in the group.. try it--- might find out what he is seeking-never know until tried.
goo dluck-- i havent heard anything bad about them-- trawlers r boat also, so is covered-- some smart guys and ladies in our group-- i remember someone dealing wth a trawler not long ago.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Marine Trader trawlers were built in Taiwan, but not in a single yard. Rather, they were built by individual families and, thus, vary greatly in build quality one to another.

There were models from 32' to 50' if I remember correctly. Most all were fitted with the reliable Ford Lehman diesel, either single or twin.

They are heavily built, handsome, and pretty good sea boats. The teak work was usually done well and was very attractive.

Their condition, now, varies greatly depending on original build quality and on how the boat has been used and maintained. I have friends who have owned them, and have delivered a few myself over the years.

If you're "looking for a project", the MT's may just be the ticket for you, because they all require considerable maintenance. And, if they've been let go, they'll require a lot of repair and upgrades.

An MT49 would surely keep you hopping just doing the maintenance and, unless you're independently wealthy, broke all the time :-)

Bill
Old 21-10-2010, 15:08   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Marine Trader trawlers were built in Taiwan, but not in a single yard. Rather, they were built by individual families and, thus, vary greatly in build quality one to another.

There were models from 32' to 50' if I remember correctly. Most all were fitted with the reliable Ford Lehman diesel, either single or twin.

They are heavily built, handsome, and pretty good sea boats. The teak work was usually done well and was very attractive.

Their condition, now, varies greatly depending on original build quality and on how the boat has been used and maintained. I have friends who have owned them, and have delivered a few myself over the years.

If you're "looking for a project", the MT's may just be the ticket for you, because they all require considerable maintenance. And, if they've been let go, they'll require a lot of repair and upgrades.

An MT49 would surely keep you hopping just doing the maintenance and, unless you're independently wealthy, broke all the time :-)

Bill
sounds like the leaky teaky group is perfect for this particular boat-- lots of good info on hw we have done the repairs that will need to be done on the trawler. sounds like marine trader and formosa share a similar history and build style--maybe even same families did the work. .
in th egroup ar epix of deck repairs, stringer repairs, all kinds of stuff particular to these boats--all built in similar fashion in taiwan.
Old 21-10-2010, 15:08   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post

Bill
sounds like the leaky teaky group is perfect for this particular boat-- lots of good info on how we have done the repairs that will need to be done on the trawler. sounds like marine trader and formosa share a similar history and build style--maybe even same families did the work. .
in the group are pix of deck repairs, stringer repairs, all kinds of stuff particular to these boats--all built in similar fashion in taiwan.
Old 24-10-2010, 13:35   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
why not check out MTOA (used to be Marine Traders Owners Asso, now Marine TRAWLERS Owners Asso.) Lots of members still have Marine Traders, as I do. The vintage you are asking about can have really big problems, or not. You must be on your guard with pre 1980's boats from Taiwan.

www.mtoa.net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: