Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: your max. force you experienced?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 1 2.78%
4 0 0%
5 2 5.56%
6 3 8.33%
7 4 11.11%
8 6 16.67%
9 7 19.44%
10 6 16.67%
11 4 11.11%
12 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-08-2008, 16:47   #1

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats
your max. force you have experienced?

what's your max. force you experienced? in Beaufort scale only!

mine was force 6; broke both rudders on our 13 year old, white water, catamaran; called nearby motosailer and was towed; saw a signal rocket +10NM west

Rosso di sera, bel tempo si spera. Rosso di mattina, mal tempo si avvicina
Karletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Inland waters (Puget Sound) we saw up to Force 11 on our maiden (delivery) voyage and wind waves to 15 feet. Oh Joy handled it well but it took two of my crew on the helm to drive when I took breaks. I had to use rowing techniques and leg power to keep her on course offwind at times. Lots of power in those waves. No damage or soiled skivvies but it was close at times.

CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 09:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Post Beaufort Scale

This might be helpful for the discussion;

Beaufort scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an even cooler one with seastate on stamps.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 10:16   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
8 and didn't enjoy it one bit..........

It wasn't supposed to get that bad(never trust the weather guessers) so we stayed out working(salmon troller). By the time we were in that mess it was way past time to head for home with our tails tucked up tight. It was 4or5 of the scariest hours of my young life. I will remember coming in to Uclulet as long as I live. We were hit with one last big wave as we made the turn to port into the harbour and damn near capsized. Later there were gusts over 70mph. I was very happy to be in port even if we weren't making any money...........martin
I must go down to the sea again.........
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 10:56   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
9-10, depends on who you believe. The local fishermen, or the weather on vhf? Rounding Point Conception heading south to Mexico. A scrap of headsail, and doing 8/12 knots coming down the face of them in a 30 ft. Columbia.

The sky was so clear that night, and cold too! OMG it was beautiful!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:28   #6

force 8 don't remember much the bucket wasn't see through
max_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 12:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Force 11 around Cape Wrath Scotland - but it was in a minesweeper. Rolled 70 degrees at one point (thought she was going right over), lost radios, all liferafts and had a lot of damage. Had Nimrods up looking for us.
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 12:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually Force 11 but that was at acnchor waiting to cross the gulfstream in Biscayne Bay. 6 am, me motoring the boat at full rpm in my skivvies just to hold position, anchored pulled out, anemometer pegged 70mph+ for 7 -8 minutes. Literally tossed over a 45 lb Fortess which saved my 47 passport from the beach with about 25 feet to spare.... good morning captain! (1999)
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 12:53   #9
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I like that link with the Stamps.

Unfortunately the poll stops at Force 12 which does not account for TRS as measured in Asia.

I have experienced 95knt winds in a Typhoon which I think is around Force 15
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 20:44   #10

Boat: 44 footer
I'm still lucky as I'm still learning sailing...

Force 5 day sailing a Paceship 23 on the Neuse River out of New Bern. Went out with a full mainsail and jib... 7 knots... Loads of fun, till the wind shifts to blowing straight out of the harbor...

Blew the companionway hatch off! My buddy turned green, and went down below to get something, came back up white as a sheet when she broached. "Out one window it's all water, out the other... sky!" I miss that little boat, a great teacher.

5 is the most I've had on the Triton as well... She starts hustling around then. Got to redo the non-skid before I do any more of that. Was in sight of Point No Point up in the Chesapeake with full main and a 170% genoa up... I rigged a set of jack lines the next day. Slid from one side of the foredeck to the other, with fists full of sail. Learned a lot about respecting the wind and waves that day, she will sail away without me!

Thanks for bringing back the memories. I've got a grin I can't wipe off...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 02:46   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Day to Remember

This thread got me thinking about my scariest day on the water. The Queen Mary moved to Long Beach in December 1967. I was 6 years old.

My dad, like a million other dads thought it would be good fun to go on a charter to "see her come in." Actually I think his company did the charter.

Anyway there were a crap load of boats out. I remember water coming over the decks and going out the scuppers. I remember people puking (but not me or my brothers) I remember no room inside. I remember mom freaking and thinking that her boys were headed overboard through the scuppers. I remember having to sit inboard somewhere with my brother and hold tight.

On reflection I just think we were a small boat surrounded by lots and lots of other boats.

I dug up this photo from the internet.

Sorry for the slight drift but I guess panic is loosely related ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen Mary.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	4780  
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 03:11   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
.. Unfortunately the poll stops at Force 12 which does not account for TRS as measured in Asia.
I have experienced 95knt winds in a Typhoon which I think is around Force 15
I’ve seen this “extended” Hurricane Force chart used:
Beaufort Force 12: 64 - 71 knots
Force 13: 72 - 80 kt.
Force 14: 81 - 89 kt.
Force 15: 90 - 98 kt.
Force 16: 99 - 108 kt.
Force 17: 109 - 118 kt.

Some additional Wind Scale information:
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 06:49   #13
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Force 9 once for a few hours only in a small, short but very violent storm in Queensland coastal waters and force 8 for a day or so in the Tasman Sea.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 10:12   #14

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
We have been in an 8/9 twice. The first was due to the fact that we didnt know any better. We had to get our boat into a certain port by a certain time to catch a certain train, so we completely disregarded the building winds and seas, stuck the engine on and headed in a straight line for where we were going! Never ever again- I was so sick.
The second time was a relatively short sail from the Isle of Wight back to Southampton- about 7 miles- last summer. It blew up to 46 knots. The forecast only said up to a 6, so we reefed down one and set merrily out into the Solent. We quickly turned around into the safety of the harbour, reefed down fully and tied everything down much more securely. What is it about short trips that make you set out far less prepared then you would be normally??
Anyway, once we were out there, I really enjoyed it. Finally figured out the boat wasn't going to capsize and we weren't going to die! It helped that the waves weren't huge as the Island was sheltering them, but they were big enough. Hardest part came whilst trying to avoid a huge container ship and the wheel and rudder really not wanting to turn, the forces on them were so strong. Certainly wouldn't choose to sail in it, but at least we know we can take it!

People who say things can't be done should stop getting in the way of the people doing them.....
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: