Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 18:35   #106

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Re: Why do friends feel so entitled to come on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I went day sailing/ whale watching with 3 friends yesterday, only problem was deciding which boat to take, my 32 or their 36, 38, and 43. You need a better class of friends.
Exactly!!!!!

Actually to be more serious, I was delighted to single hand my previous 35 footer almost anywhere and had some 20k+ miles under the keel...

I found that I wanted to share the experience with friends and decided to get a larger boat. I had planned on 45 to 48 feet but a beautiful 55 footer at the right price in the right place showed up.

I still single hand occasionally but with three cabins I easily lose track that guests are aboard.

Some insist on doing dishes, others like to stand watch. First trip with new people I pay attention to making sure they are comfortable and know what the fun options are (boat toys, hiking, etc.) After that i assume they are self sufficient.

With a smaller boat it was harder. I suspect there may be a connection and as i enjoy exposing people to the sea (and why we should protect it) i picked a larger vessel than just i needed.

Just a different set of choices, not better or worse... Just different...

botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 18:47   #107

Boat: Lagoon 450

As my dad used to say, ďThereís no point in having it, if you canít share it with the people you love.Ē
We have guests all the time.
Like many things in life, clesr communication and setting expectations is key.
Also, I might add, ďyou can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you canít pick your friends nose.Ē

Old 04-02-2019, 12:48   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkev View Post
As my dad used to say, ďThereís no point in having it, if you canít share it with the people you love.Ē
We have guests all the time.
There are crew. There are guests. There are friends. There are loved ones. We love to share our adventures. Some we share with, and some we have learned which one they are the hard way.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 23:14   #109

Boat: Catalina 30

I narrow down who should come and when they should diner and a couple drinks while tied in a slip most people are always welcome, just contribute something (I wouldn't go visiting without a small gift of wine or some food) a few hours sail is similar and some times a precursor to the first one. Anything longer than that I'm more selective for the protection of everyone's sanity, and I explain that while she is a pleasure boat space is pretty limited and so are the amenities and helping is going to be required both with the boat handling and provisioning. That usually gets ride of most non compatibles and the non compatibles that are more persistent "Oh and just a heads up I sleep naked and have been known to sleep walk." Usually does the trick
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 23:57   #110

I grew up in S. Florida and around boats. I really don't have any landlubber friends, we are all water people and generally speaking, I love having my real friends out on the boat, great times and cherished memories... Now those on the fringe or associates, not so much =)
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 08:57   #111

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

acquaintances/friends or girl Iím dating in cockpit at quay, slip for cocktails/dinner leisure while tied up with no plans to cast off is one thing, add alcohol and youíre asking for hot mess...bringing these ppl out in the dink at anchorage/mooring field for above mentioned possibly sleeping aboard is quite another...liability and bottom line question ďis risk worth the reward?Ē

As a rule I donít take aboard people much less friends I donít know well under way or especially at sail w/out them being nautically experienced or preferably boat owners period...Iím not a charter company here to provide free hospitality and liability issue certainly backs up my logic.

A lot of people just donít understand small crafts or yachtie culture and have ignorance confusing/mistaking life in small crafts for charter company situations or especially cruise ship culture
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:02   #112

Boat: Cal 39

For many years I delivered sailboats from Hawaii to San Francisco bay that the owners had sailed to Hawaii and didn't have the time or desire to sail back (it's mostly downwind going to, upwind coming back or a much longer sail), although I did have one return trip to the mainland. I also taught celestial navigation and piloting at a local junior college night school. I oftn selected crew members from among my students for the 14-26 day deliveries. I never had trouble with any of them, and only one that I wouldn't ask again. The boats were between 23 feet and 50 feet, all sail (few power boats that didn't already have paid crew carried enough fuel for that 2000+ mile passage).

secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat