Old 20-09-2013, 20:56   #31

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Why Did I Ever....

Sounds normal to me!
Please start a blog, you're good.

Old 20-09-2013, 22:49   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The one GOOD thing about being in a Yacht Club, is if ya ever go cruiseing being able to use other yacht clubs faciltys for free!! We are lucky enough to belong to one formed just for this reason, with no charge to us to belong to it! Love to fly the burgee!! LOL

Old 20-09-2013, 23:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolandinsight View Post
"Let's buy a boat" she said, "it'll be fun" she said...

In all honesty, she can't be blamed for that one. It was my idea to buy a sailboat. I'm sure I'm completely alone in that regard.

We wanted to upgrade from our Paceship PY23, and BOY, did we! We were looking at a Columbia 26, had almost fallen in love it. In fact, we were less than 12 hours from doing the final survey on it when, from across the bed I heard "ooooooooo". Uh oh. This is trouble. In my house, all those o's in a row means something's about to change. It's just as likely to be good as it is bad, but it ALWAYS means trouble.

"Look! A 35 foot Morgan, and they only want (insert ridiculously low sum that can only mean scow here)!"

Ok, back up for a sec. I love to read. Love. I dream about stories in books the way some people do TV, or movies, or grandma's home cooked meals. It's just a medium I identify with. And one of my favorite authors is Nelson Demille. My first exposure to Demille was through the novel 'Nightfall', about a brilliant but abrasive (much like me) NYPD homicide detective who is unwittingly (it's never wittingly, is it), swept up into.... Sorry, I digress...

Ok look, one of Mr. Demille's most beloved characters owns a Morgan. So when my wife said she found one, I was on the hook. Understand however, I already had visions of me at the helm (a real helm has a tiller) of the Columbia, running the trades down to Tonga, battling pirates and flying fish, looking forward to a pacific paradise and drinks with umbrellas. This Morgan was an unwanted interruption in my plans. I turned to her and said what any self-respecting, pissed-off sailor who just had his dreams dashed on the rocks of matrimony would say...."Really?!"

Hooked. Totally.

The next day was her shakedown cruise...
I love demille and am excited to get my hands in his new novel.
Look forward to your next novelette too.
Old 20-09-2013, 23:09   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
The one GOOD thing about being in a Yacht Club, is if ya ever go cruiseing being able to use other yacht clubs faciltys for free!! We are lucky enough to belong to one formed just for this reason, with no charge to us to belong to it! Love to fly the burgee!! LOL
Yes, the St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco is so desirable you need to belong to a club 50 miles away from its bay and delta facilities for much of its reciprocity.
Old 21-09-2013, 02:24   #35

I'm happy to be a member of the redneck yacht club which does have reciprocity where ever you go. .
Old 23-09-2013, 11:49   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
I'm happy to be a member of the redneck yacht club which does have reciprocity where ever you go. .
There are chapters anywhere you see a pontoon boat, the amenities include sandbars, coolers of iced down beer & grills, if you have a bow ladder your entitled to automatic membership:-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: