Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2013, 18:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Re: Why Did I Ever....

You are quite a writer.

I have to have more. Please provide some.

PS.

I learned about 5200 a number of years ago. I now know all the tricks and seldom glue myself to something - seldom.

Old 29-05-2013, 18:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The phrase "5200" and "permanent" seem to go hand in hand on this forum. I have not found it to be so in many instances...especially metal to fiberglass. Once you get it started it will usually break free from the metal side.... gradually! If it wont, heat the metal and it'll break right free easy.
Yea.

But that stuff still on the transom. Whooeee!!!

Old 29-05-2013, 18:36   #18
ost

Boat: Nonsuch 30

The 5200 tube. Scientifically proven to get more on your hands and arms then on what you actually want to seal.
Old 30-05-2013, 08:01   #19

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
More is coming...just got back from an overnight that turned in to three days ending with a visit from the Coast Guard. Didn't go as planned to say the least. Heading out now to check on the boat, I'll post the story tonight.

You will all be happy to know the motor mount didn't budge!
Old 30-05-2013, 14:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolandinsight View Post
More is coming...just got back from an overnight that turned in to three days ending with a visit from the Coast Guard. Didn't go as planned to say the least. Heading out now to check on the boat, I'll post the story tonight.

You will all be happy to know the motor mount didn't budge!
Good.

You will be happy to know that you can now remove the bolts from the motor mount and it will stay there. 5200 has been known to be used on mast winches and the screws then removed.
Old 31-05-2013, 14:04   #21

First thing the next morning we got her registered, but in our haste to get under way we forgot to get numbers for the hull. No biggie, we have current stickers for AL (boat still in MS), and have the paperwork showing her former status as documented vessel, as well as blank forms to have it documented again. I'm sure there's an opportunity in there somewhere to talk our way out of a ticket. I hope.

I got the wind vane up on the masthead, but only temporarily. Had to remove the loading coil for the VHF antenna and use that mount. I'll go up later with another mount and get it all straightened out.

Got the outboard motor mounted on the bracket. Got the fuel tank hooked up, and levers and pushrods arranged just so and pulled the handle to crank the motor and.... Chirp, chirp. Nothing. The salty sea captain from two slips down came over to see what these two lubbers were doing, and if he might get an opportunity to point fingers and laugh at us. He did.

He was also most gracious in his attempts to help, bringing cans of spray lubricant and calling the local Tohatsu service center to find out the algorithm for fixing "lubber" on their 8hp outboards.

I was just about to get it to crank when I broke the pull cord. Got it replaced with a minimum of tools and parts going in the water, but when I pulled the handle, all the rope stayed out. So we loaded the outboard in the truck and carried it down to the Tohatsu guy in Pascagoula who, A) was able to diagnose the problem as a carb destroyed by of all things, get this, gasoline! Yes sir, apparently. They have thin "new" fuel additive ethanol, and you can't put it in marine engines, only land based ones. It's become such a problem that he had to make a sign (showed me the sign) proclaiming that "ALL fuel problems related to ethanol will no longer be covered by warranty". Guess he's the one that makes that determination. And B), he was able to know all this without even looking at the engine. I asked him what it would take in time and money, he said $250 and 6-7 weeks. We thanked him for his time, and went to Auto Zone. $3 can of carb cleaner and putt putt... Ethanol problem fixed. Amazing. I should go into business fixing outboards. Maybe I can make my own sign.

Finally got underway, and ran aground. Just a baby run aground though, we backed right off and continued on. The big daddy run aground happened at the mouth of the Pascagoula river, in a place so confusing that even the NOAA charts have the suffix "ish" on all the information given for that area.

When we finally did get under way again, a task accomplished by a measured application of patience, bailing out the bilge, and the right amount of profanity, we found our way was blocked by a drawbridge that refused to draw. We loitered in the area for perhaps an hour and a half trying to get the bridge operators attention to no avail. Having no operating electrical system, and therefore no lights, we were forced to tie up to an unused wharf to wait for dawn.

What do you do when tied up in a strange city? Find a bar. Or a Waffle House. We did both, but in the wrong order.

I was quite the sight. While on the transom trying to get the outboard to crank, my (favorite) shorts were split up the front of both legs to the belt loops by an ornery cotter pin living on the backstay turnbuckle. It also inflicted several lacerations to my knees and thighs, and if it weren't for the protective layer of 5200 all over me, I might have been in real danger of exsanguination. So with shredded shorts flapping in the breeze showing my boxers with little guitars on them to the world, diesel stained T-shirt, and hair all standing up waving to each other, we struck out across strange lands. We wanted hot food, cold beer, and a flush toilet.

After finding all three, we arrived at the boat to find the bridge up. Sigh. If we had navigation lights we could have motored back the two miles to our slip, the car, and a real bed. Alas, no rest for the weary. The long night was a mixture of fitful sleep interrupted by trains blaring by not 200 yards from us. How do you get fingernail gouges out of a fiberglass headliner?

When the sun finally came up and we could leave, it wouldn't have fit the pattern unless the engine gave out right before we got to the drawbridge. Stupid ethanol! O, wait, I just had the fuel hose caught in the lazarette hatch. Nevermind, back under way. Finally at the slip, exhausted and sore, I knew I'd one day be able to look back on this and laugh about it... But not that day.
Old 31-05-2013, 14:21   #22

Boat: Cal 2-27

freakin awesome.

Your writing reminds me of Black Oak! Am I the only one that thinks this.
Old 31-05-2013, 14:22   #23

Poor Black Oak. He's going through a mess right now, I wish him the best!
Old 31-05-2013, 14:45   #24

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolandinsight View Post
Poor Black Oak. He's going through a mess right now, I wish him the best!
You and me both
Old 01-06-2013, 22:03   #25

It was time to finally bring the boat home.

You know, where to keep a boat shouldn't be a life decision, but we were less than a week away from the repositioning cruise, and had no position for her to assume at the end of the voyage. This was a tremendous source of worry for me.

Most of the marinas where we live are in the $8-$10 per boat foot range. We have two car payments, a house, two children, two cats, two parrots, a fish, and a garden. Not to mention iPhones, a fairly severe Netflix habit, and we're trying to eat healthy. $350 a month for a boat slip isn't going to work for us.

One place in particular looked promising. It was reasonably close, less than $200 per month, and it had "Yacht Club" in the title. Who doesn't want to keep their boat at a 'Yacht Club'. Come on, admit it, our inner snob relishes the thought of saying to our buddies, "Yeah, I'm going down to the Yacht Club to take my boat for a sail"? Pull on the Sperrys, put the chip on my shoulder, and start talking without moving my teeth. I could totally get used to that! It sounded perfect. Until...

I spoke to the harbor master a few times on the phone, asked about the facilities and told him about our boat. He said "Four and a half foot draft? No problem. You'll fit just fine". So when I called to say I wanted to rent a slip, I was shocked when he asked "You won't be taking the boat out of the marina, will you?" Huh? Of course I'll be taking the boat out!

He informed me that while the average depth in the marina was 5-6 feet, the channel leading in and out was 3 feet. And during the winter months, with a north wind, he has seen the marina, sans water, for up to 200 yards past the end of the docks.

Not good.

Mooring is illegal in Alabama, or I'd just tie it to a tree on the bank of a creek somewhere. I guess I could get a big dink with a good motor and change anchorages every few days, but that sounds like a pain, and the Marine Police would eventually catch on. The Columbia came with a mooring.

For free.

Ugh...

Several places in Mobile and Pensacola were reasonably priced, but I'd easily make up the difference in gas driving over to the boat. None of you guys ever said anything about this part of boat ownership!

We finally found a place in Fairhope. It was a little more than we wanted to pay, but it's convenient, we didn't have to sign a lease, and they don't charge extra for water and electricity. Plus, there's a restaurant right there. I paid the first months rent, swallowed hard, and comforted myself with the thought that our boat finally had a home.

home.
Old 01-06-2013, 22:25   #26

Boat: PETERSON 44
I run from people that think its important to be a club member.No secret desire no way. Not sure why and I feel sad about being so inclined. Except that I find the yachty thing amiss in consumption and their need for order. Which is why they meet and call things to order. There is order in the command of the club their is a commodore which is long for a guy who thinks he must have order. And it's all so they can do what I do without putting up with members. Guess they can reassure each other that they are not really wasting huge amounts of money., okay I need a yacht club
Old 26-08-2013, 15:41   #27

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Thumbs up Re: Why Did I Ever....

Good read. Thanks for sharing.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 13:52   #28

Why do we enjoy reading others trials and tribulations? We all must take our turn in the barrel and helping each other is fun, but it sure does blow hard while its happening to you. Anyways, great read, you should start a blog as these are the things that memories are made of. Fair winds to you and yours!
Old 20-09-2013, 19:13   #29

Boat: Boatless
Great writing!!!!!!

One day it'll all be worth it. The world famous Facebook has a Morgan Owners Group.
Old 20-09-2013, 20:13   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

"Nolandinsight" you've done good....you have a good outlook on the fun you are having. I agree on the starting a "Blog"....you'll get a lot of participation.....enjoy...

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: