Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 09:16   #1

Boat: Niagara 35
When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

We often have debates about whether we as a general group are too encouraging to newbies with a dream. Most should go and do it, but some should never go to sea.

Can we tell the difference on a forum?

What are our responsibilities as a community?

Here's a cautionary tale from someone who tried to dissuade a dock-mate. He went anyways and put himself and his crew at risk. And learned nothing.
Old 26-07-2015, 09:31   #2

Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

It takes a lot of knowledge, preparation and prudence to inform one's decision to "go to sea". I suppose too many people don't take it all seriously enough and pay a price... or out others at risk.

Call it impatience.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:38   #3

I've never seen the ocean and have no idea how sails work. We found a lovely engineless ferrocement boat in guatamala on the internet. They say it's cruise ready. Our plan is to take a couple suit cases and head out on a round the world trip.

Is this a good idea?

There are the stray couples where this works out but you hear about them because it's so unusual for it to work out.

Blanket "go for it" responses are irresponsible. Providing guidance on a better course of action or an action that show the potential errors is the better option. A simple recommendation to have the boat surveyed and have the surveyor come up with a cost to bring it up to snuff could be enough to save them thousands and much grief.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:12   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Blanket "go for it" responses are irresponsible. Providing guidance on a better course of action or an action that show the potential errors is the better option. A simple recommendation to have the boat surveyed and have the surveyor come up with a cost to bring it up to snuff could be enough to save them thousands and much grief.
Yeah.. and when you do that you are ostracized, ridiculed, and basically shamed for stomping on someone else's dream.

In my short sailing experience, sailing anywhere takes either money, a certain personality type, or in most cases - both. Lack one or both of those things and you end up one of the abandoned derelict boats in Florida everyone is pissed about.

That "Hold Fast" video of Moxie's adventure is often is touted as an example of the success of the "just do it" crowd but I'm not sure that his example should be followed.

I'm going to start a quick poll to satisfy my curiosity about this subject...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:58   #5

Scoobert.

He's still reinventing the wheel on his blog, no longer here.

But --- he did get to Florida.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:59   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yeah.. and when you do that you are ostracized, ridiculed, and basically shamed for stomping on someone else's dream.
Alas, Internet forums will never, ever be rid of this
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 11:00   #7

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

This is a forum not a community I believe almost everyone on here is a adult if one is looking for professional advise as to the go not to go I doubt this is the real place to do it nor dose it show good judgement from the beginning. If you're telling people what your doing which if usually the case good luck as always.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 11:20   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

In my experience, people that really have a dream are not so easily dissuaded, and certainly not by a forum.
Old 26-07-2015, 14:34   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

I think everyone should just provide their honest opinion. The poster will get a healthy dose of both encouraging and discouraging advice, and will choose for themselves what to heed.

If the reader is thoughtful and honest with themselves, they can apply the advice appropriately for their skill level and situation.

If they're impulsive, thoughtless, and risk seeking, they won't listen to anything they don't want to hear anyway.

It's our role to provide the value of our experience for the OP. It's not our role to determine who is capable, responsible, or otherwise make judgements, nor are we responsible for the decisions ultimately made by the OP.

It's pointless to argue about the opinions of others, or about the appropriateness of either the positive or negative advice others post unless it's based on obviously erroneous facts and not simply differing tolerance for risk, legal compliance, capability, or experience. When you see a response asserting incorrect facts, it's appropriate to correct them with references to sources. But replying to someone else's opinion that simply differs from your or making assertions not backed up is just being argumentative.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 15:01   #10

People make their own decisions.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 15:16   #11

Boat: Vancouver 27

Well said, mstrebe.

I'm still a far cry from master mariner, but started as one of the shoestring youngens who got on a boat with some friends and made it work. Looking back a bit crazy perhaps, but a positively life-changing experience.

I'm pretty empathetic to other young peeps who have the idea in their head. A little comraderie to say, "no, you're not crazy," can be pretty helpful. The one's who are slightly more off their rockers than the rest of us, well, what can you do? Mobilis in mobili.

Part of it is also selfish, because I'd like to have more young friends on boats
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 15:31   #12

Boat: Moody 47

We have 3 adult young men and learned along time ago not to offer advice unless I am asked. When they ask, I feel they are in a mind set where my advice may have more impact in their decision. I'm honest with my advice. I have always made it clear that although I offer advice is it ultimately their decision and as long as their actions are moral and ethical I will support their decision. We believe in taking responsibility for our decisions and actions. When I seek advice on a forum it is to gather from a large group of experience but ultimately it is my responsibility what I do with that information. There are many individual variables to consider in a decision to go cruising. Encouraging someone to follow their dreams should not be taken as a license to be irresponsible.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-07-2015, 15:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I've never seen the ocean and have no idea how sails work. We found a lovely engineless ferrocement boat in guatamala on the internet. They say it's cruise ready. Our plan is to take a couple suit cases and head out on a round the world trip.

Is this a good idea?

There are the stray couples where this works out but you hear about them because it's so unusual for it to work out.
He he he- that's a good example.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 15:47   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If you have to get the blessing of the internet experts before casting off Cruising, then you will never make it anyway, so the point of competence is somewhat mute.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 15:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Why do we feel we have to be encouraging people at all?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc