Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 06:30   #46

Boat: contessa 32
Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Hi all, I'm new here,but I know many have adventure experience, so your advice will be appreciated.
My life is very dull and I hate my nowhere job so I just need some adventure and cannot afford a boat but will settle for another dream off climbing Mount Everest.
I am reading all I can about this type of thing and my wife is totally "on board " as long as she can get some shopping in while I go to the top alone. Yea , I know some people take along some of those sherpa guys, but I want to experience this on my own….couldn't afford one anyhow and I have always been able to figure which way is up (to top) and which way is down ( to the bottom).
i can borrow a gps so I don't get lost and come down on the China side, but come to think of it maybe if I do, i could trade with the natives there some clothes or something in my back pack to bring back to trade ,i know I have to pay for this dream somehow!
I also know that it is cold there so I'll bring my warmest scarf and safari hat.
Some naysayers have said that this dream is unbelievable but I plan to build a snowman at the top and take a selfie with him to prove what can be done if you set your mind to it.
People don't know there is no air there nothing!!! you can't breathe or you will get a terrible headache so I'm practicing holding my breath as I go in and out of my trailer to strengthen my legs and lungs.
I got some water-skis at a yard sale but does anyone here know if they can be used on snow ??? I may need to get down in a hurry if my wife is ever approved for another credit card.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:02   #47

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
A couple with little experience who bought a boat, and could not stop yakking about their travels on the Internet.
I had to tune them out pretty soon, but many kept reading and could not stop commenting.
The Bums also become heros to the truly clueless crowd.
I think we are a bit more conservative that the Bumfuzzles but let's not dismiss the blogs.

You can lump me and my wife into the crowd that enjoys reading others blogs and writing our own. If you prefer to remain anonymous that is a choice that cannot be denied.

I enjoy the process of continual education and keeping a blog is certainly a good way of arranging and tracking what you learn along the way.

We originally started out just keeping a blog to track our travels, so when we are old and grumpy we would have a travel journal to look back on. We enjoy travel both on and off the boat. Then it started to become a ship manual, and now other people are reading it... nothing wrong with that.

Best of all, my mother-in-law loves it. Allows her and the family to keep track of our travels alongside the Spot!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:11   #48

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I think we are a bit more conservative that the Bumfuzzles but let's not dismiss the blogs.

You can lump me and my wife into the crowd that enjoys reading others blogs and writing our own. If you prefer to remain anonymous that is a choice that cannot be denied.

I enjoy the process of continual education and keeping a blog is certainly a good way of arranging and tracking what you learn along the way.

We originally started out just keeping a blog to track our travels, so when we are old and grumpy we would have a travel journal to look back on. We enjoy travel both on and off the boat. Then it started to become a ship manual, and now other people are reading it... nothing wrong with that.

Best of all, my mother-in-law loves it. Allows her and the family to keep track of our travels alongside the Spot!
I did not mean to be mean. They look happy. WRT my cursory glance at the Bumfuzzle site, it is just a level of exposition I would not be comfortable with, or need.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:30   #49

On a forum like this, tell all dreamers to go for it. 95% are just that dreamers, 75% of the non dreamers will only get a small day sailer, leaving one that might get a boat large enough to go off shore, and 75% of those will actually even do an over night anchorage. So you are actually influencing a fraction of 1% and if they do not prepare properly.....Remember...."You Can't Fix Stupid"

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:40   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Advice is fine. It is still up to the individual to do their own research so as not to unnecessarily risk the lives of those onboard. 100% of the responsibility falls upon the skipper for any bad decisions and 0% upon the person giving the advice.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:42   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I did not mean to be mean. They look happy. WRT my cursory glance at the Bumfuzzle site, it is just a level of exposition I would not be comfortable with, or need.
None taken, just sharing an alternative view. Its funny... I think I'll go back and reread their blog just to see how my perspective can changed.
Old 27-07-2015, 07:45   #52

I enjoyed the Bumfuzzles and their adventure. If you have a dream follow it give the naysayers the finger. BUT if you want to do it in a rusty engine less ferro bucket, don't expect to get much support.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:47   #53

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Hi all, I'm new here,but I know many have adventure experience, so your advice will be appreciated.
My life is very dull and I hate my nowhere job so I just need some adventure and cannot afford a boat but will settle for another dream off climbing Mount Everest.
I am reading all I can about this type of thing and my wife is totally "on board " as long as she can get some shopping in while I go to the top alone. Yea , I know some people take along some of those sherpa guys, but I want to experience this on my own….couldn't afford one anyhow and I have always been able to figure which way is up (to top) and which way is down ( to the bottom).
i can borrow a gps so I don't get lost and come down on the China side, but come to think of it maybe if I do, i could trade with the natives there some clothes or something in my back pack to bring back to trade ,i know I have to pay for this dream somehow!
I also know that it is cold there so I'll bring my warmest scarf and safari hat.
Some naysayers have said that this dream is unbelievable but I plan to build a snowman at the top and take a selfie with him to prove what can be done if you set your mind to it.
People don't know there is no air there nothing!!! you can't breathe or you will get a terrible headache so I'm practicing holding my breath as I go in and out of my trailer to strengthen my legs and lungs.
I got some water-skis at a yard sale but does anyone here know if they can be used on snow ??? I may need to get down in a hurry if my wife is ever approved for another credit card.
You sound like you're ready. One thing you should carry with you at all times is a rock tied to a string. You can always tell up from down. Just go for it!!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
You sound like you're ready. One thing you should carry with you at all times is a rock tied to a string. You can always tell up from down. Just go for it!!

goat
To bad this forum doesn't support a "like" function
Old 27-07-2015, 07:51   #55
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I'd say Just Go...
Or go Small, Go Now.
Seen too many people not leave the docks, too scary out there, or something.
Wish I could go again but present wife is not too kind on sailing beyond sight of land.
Doing Bahamas cruises with buddies instead, but not same as sailing and living aboard full-time.
Yes, Go for it...
Old 27-07-2015, 08:44   #56

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

I am one of those ones who just did it. I purchased my first boat with no practical experience and 4 years later sold it after a trip around the world - mostly single handed. I believe that my success in this totally worthwhile adventure was based on the level of fear, commitment and intensity that I approached it with which included the following;
a) 2 years of reading and absorbing every relevant book, manual, article, etc. that I could get my hands on including cover to cover reads of Chapmans, Heavy Weather Sailing, Sail Power, Cruising Routes of the World, books about yacht design and construction, weather analysis, actual voyages, etc. This allowed me to chose a suitable vessel and perceive in my own mind how I could handle it.
b) I consciously took unsolicited advice from dock bound sailors who had been getting ready for years with a grain of salt. When I was uncertain about a subject I sought out qualified people, whom I knew had valid experience, and solicited their opinions.
c) it never occurred to me to write to a forum for advice from unknown sources and ask - is this a good idea? The fact is that when you go to sea you are putting yourself at risk. If you do not make the effort to fully comprehend, prepare for and accept that risk the consequences could easily be fatal.

Now that I have experience the shoe is on the other foot and I am happy to give my honest opinion to any sincere query regarding preparations, etc. By nature, asking an open question of "is this the right boat?" or "should I go cruising?" on a forum tells me that the person asking the question is not approaching the important decision with the seriousness it deserves. 'Just Do It' is not a proper answer to such a question in my opinion.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:03   #57

My impression is , if anything, we on the forum lean toward discouragement.... albeit maybe not intentionally. But also, few people really listen well anyway. Everybody makes their own mistakes. We can only put out there our experience and in the end some people end up no longer in the gene pool.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:09   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
We often have debates about whether we as a general group are too encouraging to newbies with a dream. Most should go and do it, but some should never go to sea.

Can we tell the difference on a forum?

What are our responsibilities as a community?

Here's a cautionary tale from someone who tried to dissuade a dock-mate. He went anyways and put himself and his crew at risk. And learned nothing.
You make an excellent point. I'm sure at times I am seen as a cynical old bastard but cheering on an ill-fated idea is irresponsible. I have noticed much of that here. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:18   #59
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. You make an excellent point. I'm sure at times I am seen as a cynical old bastard but cheering on an ill-fated idea is irresponsible. I have noticed much of that here. JMHO
The idea of going cruising is always great, and I cheer it on all the time, Go Small, go Now, etc.
As for the details and preparations: It boils down to personal responsibility and should be up to the skipper and his crew. Obviously if they are not up to the task at hand and not prepared, they should not go. (No need to even mentioned it, too damn obvious, but I guess some stuff have to be spelled out on a forum with 100,000 members )
Old 27-07-2015, 09:21   #60

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Why do we feel we have to be encouraging people at all?
Seems like a nicer version of humanity, where people encourage each other. And smile and say thank you. Are humble and sincere.
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc