Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 20:21   #241

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

This topic is closely related to the Cruisers Quitting topic as well as the one with the 70+ year old salt late for his date in Fiji.

There will always be those that warn you not to take risks. Any risk.

If you think u want to see the world, get a passport. Get a plan. Get a life.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 17-09-2015, 09:11   #242

Boat: Caprice 19'

I haven't read through all of this thread, but I wonder if Shane Acton and his circumnavigation on a 19' Caprice called Shrimpy has been mentioned. When he left Cambridge at the start of his journey, he had never been on a sailing boat.
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:07   #243

Boat: Caprice 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
I haven't read through all of this thread, but I wonder if Shane Acton and his circumnavigation on a 19' Caprice called Shrimpy has been mentioned. When he left Cambridge at the start of his journey, he had never been on a sailing boat.
However last year there was one would-be sailor who was heading out of London and planning to get along the South Coast to the Solent (I believe), He was told to keep turning right - he didn't get far, he circumnavigated an island- Sheppey out in the estuary about three times and it was less than half a mile from the mainland. A modicum of sense is a neccesary requirement.
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 08:58   #244

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
Never generalise from one case.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 09:23   #245
Armchair Bucketeer

Those who come to cf (or any group) simply looking for validation will become disappointed (and occasionally angry!)......but those who come seeking guidance and have the wit to separate (wade through?!) the useful from the less so will have a headstart on not shooting selves in foot financially, having broken dreams or drowning!.....no guarantees, but a head start. Lol.

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 10:07   #246

On our last cruise to the Bahamas, we ran into tons of idiots who were some how just doing fine. Its not that hard unless you are wanting to cross the Atlantic or something.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:44   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
On our last cruise to the Bahamas, we ran into tons of idiots who were some how just doing fine. Its not that hard unless you are wanting to cross the Atlantic or something.

Regardless of my background, I could easily be grouped with the "tons". I bought and old but sound boat and sailed away day one.

Even with the "Oh ****!"moments, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Old 18-09-2015, 12:49   #248
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonewrone View Post
To the OP's Q. This forum has no responsibility to protect people from their dreams. I am fairly new to this forum as far as posting opinions but they are opinions. Few are professionals. I have been a professional rescuer in the high alpine environment. I have performed many rescues and seen several die, not necessarily perusing a dream but just trying to have a good time at ski areas in Colorado. Skiing is inherently dangerous, I don't recommend it but I have never felt guilty when an individual kills themself in pursuit of a life wish(not death wish). No one can tell them they shouldn't live the way they want. This is not a government. No one would ask for opinions if they had the constitution to live this life, which I have just begun and never ask for another's opinion. No regrets after one week except that the things I brought in my Subaru Outback won't fit on the boat.
Get a smaller Subaru...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 13:36   #249

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Boatie,

You should not feel guilty for someone else's stupidity. Quite right.

And, generally, I do believe in encouraging people to follow their dreams, and you'll see those posts on this forum.

Where I draw the line is when it seems blatantly obvious to me that someone is likely sailing into danger. At that point, I feel I need to speak up. Others' mileage may vary.

Ann
Being adventurous is one thing. Being stupid is something else. Whether safety or financially.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 13:51   #250
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

I tend to agree with your statement. Newbies with very little or no sailing experience do not understand that sailing is a dangerous sport. Its one of the few sports where people actually die horrible deaths. Not to be Debbie downer here. But the advise to give. To a newbie is to start sailing in your own backyard and learn before you become a danger at the local moori g or to yourself.

The dream is magnificent along with the passion to explore but sailing can also test a person to their limits. There is nothing wrong with saying go for your dream but preparebefore you go.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 14:00   #251

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post
I tend to agree with your statement. Newbies with very little or no sailing experience do not understand that sailing is a dangerous sport. Its one of the few sports where people actually die horrible deaths. Not to be Debbie downer here. But the advise to give. To a newbie is to start sailing in your own backyard and learn before you become a danger at the local moori g or to yourself.

The dream is magnificent along with the passion to explore but sailing can also test a person to their limits. There is nothing wrong with saying go for your dream but preparebefore you go.
I guess sailing is a sport. I would prefer way of life.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 15:03   #252

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Seems like there's more than enough people out there who will tell you not to do something and there's more than enough people stuck in place they don't want to be after making a lifetime of compromised choices.

Were I to do it over again I'd focus on a small, cheap, but seaworthy boat like a Contessa 26, Westsail 32 or whatever and I would just go rather than listen the chorus of voices saying not to. I'd have a windvane, sextant, SSB radio, hand held GPS and call it good. That's all you need!!

Ultimately a life lived any other way than what you are suited for is a failure to some degree and you only get one chance so why waste it.

I would say get rid of everything simplify your needs and yes just go before it's too late. Whatever you do don't listen to the folks in here who all have apparently unlimited budgets and can't leave home without the kitchen sink. Those people even if they do 'go' never really leave but are always tethered to their expensive lifestyle in some way and require considerable ongoing earnings or a big hunk of cash.

The fact is that most people have way more boat then they'll ever need and have gone way overboard with expensive systems that just aren't necessary. By the time most of them get it all set up and paid off they are too old to even go anywhere. I guess if you must have the comforts of home, but then it seems you really haven't left home.

It's the old eye of the needle thing. If you're constantly worried about being ripped off or the watermaker, generator, refrigerator, air conditioner, forced air heater, chartplotter, wind instruments, anchor windlass..... (did I cover them all?) failing or becoming obsolete you'll be distracted from what's really going on.

Regardless of what you read here sailing isn't that dangerous or difficult. It's far more dangerous to drive down to the boat than it is to take it out on the ocean. Sure if you want to and try you can kill yourself or whatever, but better that than smashed in some can out on the highway by some dude on a cell phone late for another useless meeting.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 17:25   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Regardless of what you read here sailing isn't that dangerous or difficult. It's far more dangerous to drive down to the boat than it is to take it out on the ocean. Sure if you want to and try you can kill yourself or whatever, but better that than smashed in some can out on the highway by some dude on a cell phone late for another useless meeting.

Depending on conditions, sailing can be both difficult and dangerous.

So is life.

So we smile when we can, cry when we need to and roll with the punches.

I am late for my eastern sail. Family stuff. I sailed away yesterday for a short respite. I am a live aboard. I cast off and I am sailing.

Close hauled at 3.5 knots I was smiling when I left and still am. A long walk, a dip in a pool and few Irish coffees today. I played my harmonica a bit while in IHOP this a.m. and an anonymous individual bought our breakfast.

A good day so far and being a sailor was partly responsible.

So I say go for it. Yes, try to be smart. Sail into pleasant weather. Bring water and food. Fix leaks. Avoid campfires on deck, crazy women and lee shores.

Old 18-09-2015, 17:34   #254

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Sail into pleasant weather. Bring water and food. Fix leaks. Avoid campfires on deck, crazy women and lee shores.
Good advice! But please add: Don't spend too much time looking at CF...

And a question: from your passionate list of things to avoid, may we guess that once upon a time you were having a bonfire on deck whilst romancing a crazy woman and anchored on a lee shore? Sounds like experience talking!!

Jim
Old 18-09-2015, 19:54   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good advice! But please add: Don't spend too much time looking at CF...

And a question: from your passionate list of things to avoid, may we guess that once upon a time you were having a bonfire on deck whilst romancing a crazy woman and anchored on a lee shore? Sounds like experience talking!!

Jim

While I can recount multiple occurrences of several in the list, I have not tried all in the same day. Yet.

I agree that CF browsing should be saved for after checking the pumps and cleaning the head.

Tags
enc