Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 13:54   #196
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I'm quite amused with the guys with the 45 foot new boats who ask: "How do I find the light switch to turn off the lights to change them to LEDs?"
I'd be quite amused if you have ever been asked that. Or anyone. Or any forum.
Balderdash does not help your argument.

Nor do I. I learned all about the boat whilst cruising. I only knew how to sail before that.

Learn on your own boat as the need arises

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:19   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'd be quite amused if you have ever been asked that. Or anyone. Or any forum.
Balderdash does not help your argument.

Nor do I. I learned all about the boat whilst cruising. I only knew how to sail before that.

Learn on your own boat as the need arises
Mark,

Balderdash back at ya!

I really don't make this stuff up.

The real stuff is WAY TOO funny!!!

From sbo.lcom a few days ago:

I'm trying to locate the light switches for the under counter lights on the port side of a 1995, 40.5. These lights run in a round tube shaped cover to the rear of the stove top and fridge/freezer.

I can't seem to get these covers off easily and don't want to break them in the process. I assume that they are most likely florescent tubes and if so would like to replace them with LED bulbs if possible.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:37   #198
CLOD

Boat: none

So Stu I guess YOU know where that switch is don't you? And the question on how to remove the covers on those lights is an excellent question because they don't just pop off.

What I love is when someone with a specific question about a specific boat asks a questions to other others and someone with a different boat answers it. That falls into a stupid answer to a smart question world.
Old 30-07-2015, 15:07   #199

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So Stu I guess YOU know where that switch is don't you? And the question on how to remove the covers on those lights is an excellent question because they don't just pop off.

What I love is when someone with a specific question about a specific boat asks a questions to other others and someone with a different boat answers it. That falls into a stupid answer to a smart question world.
How did the PO get to be a pissing contest on a light switch?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 15:16   #200
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

How did the PO get to be a pissing contest on a light switch?
I think it has something to do with asking what to someone is an unacceptable question

Those with more experience would have know that you don't need to find the switch to turn a light off, with time it will just burn out.
Old 30-07-2015, 16:30   #201
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post
True. I can't argue with your example.

However a couple of years ago as a 'newbie dreamer' who had just completed RYA Dayskipper I helped an experienced 'old salt' delivery skipper bring a boat down the coast.

When the other crew member and myself began rigging the jacklines, the skipper scolded us and told us that harnesses were unnecessary politically correct bulldust. At that point perhaps I should have gotten concerned, but this guy had done a transpac and was an experienced sailor.

The other crew member and myself ended up doing all the night watches, while the skipper proceeded to get stoned and drunk every night below.

Might I suggest that experience and old saltiness is sometimes no cure for stupid either? Maybe some people just get lucky.... a lot.
That's why we suffer crew innit...

But... getting serious again... waiting till you know enough is like waiting till the boat is ready..
There's always something new to fit or learn..
I've done a few K miles over the years but still needed to come on here and ask how to bleed my hydraulics.. in spite of bleeding many a clutch and brake system.. ended up exploring new frontiers stripping down and servicing the system.. thus diminishing a bit more of my ignorance... a question is only stupid if you know the answer...
as MarkJ says.. ya learn as ya go..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:26   #202

Boat: Hanse 531

Mmkay. This belongs to this discussion.

18 Days at sea, Our crazy crossing from Victoria to San Francisco! — STAY GOLD - ACROSS THE PACIFIC
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:34   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh. Don't know whether it belongs here or not but after reading that blog entry (thank goodness they are ok) I immediately started thinking about this thread.
Old 04-08-2015, 13:54   #204

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh. Don't know whether it belongs here or not but after reading that blog entry (thank goodness they are ok) I immediately started thinking about this thread.
It certainly seems they and their boat weren't ready, though they're a lot more switched on than the guy from the original article.

It does seem they went to sea with no self steering and little knowledge of storm tactics. They hand steered for just about the whole trip with only the two of them to do it. That's not pleasant!

I wonder how they lost all power so soon and how realistic their power generation set-up was. Elsewhere it says they were planning to install a monitor windvane. Maybe they went with a tiller pilot instead and couldn't use it when their power failed?
Old 05-08-2015, 00:32   #205

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:

I'm guessing they didn't ask for go/nogo from here.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08   #206

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro
Mmkay. This belongs to this discussion.

18 Days at sea, Our crazy crossing from Victoria to San Francisco! — STAY GOLD - ACROSS THE PACIFIC

I'm guessing they didn't ask for go/nogo from here."

I just read the blog post and in all honesty I did not see anything in it that would have indicated they were any less ready to go than many others who have gone before. They did make it. They did what they had to do. The sails sound like they might have been tired but if that were the reason to not go then probably 40% or more of the boats I have seen out and about shouldn't go either. They did seem to have some bad luck with a monster storm. The Admiral and I have also been thrown across the boat with serious damage to various body parts but that didn't indicate we weren't "ready to go". Waves in a blow are not predictable really. So even in hindsight they didn't seem grossly unprepared. A wind pilot would have been nice but ours broke half way across the Pacific and somehow we managed to get there anyway. So I would say good on them. Perhaps there were other reasons why they should not have left when they did in the boat they had but it wasn't obvious by the blog post. I can see other boats that someone might say was better prepared, or with better prepared crew, that might not survive the same passage.

And BTW - I don't think Stu was all that rude in his post somewhere above. FWIW.....
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:38   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I just read the blog post and in all honesty I did not see anything in it that would have indicated they were any less ready to go than many others who have gone before. They did make it. They did what they had to do.
Yes, I suppose so. I think a few things added up to it being much riskier than it ideally could have been, but well, that's life.

Wishing them fair winds and a safe passage to their next destination.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:49   #208
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I know...why don't we just have a committee of CF members approve and bless any cruiser before they can cast off?

Really folks...1/3 to half the cruisers out there now (still alive) had zero to nada experience before casting off and how many hurt themselves or die or need rescue die to their lack of experience? More people slip on the bathroom floor and die a year than die out cruising, so its time to relax and stop the BS of only those that know what they are doing can go cruising....because if that was the criteria, most of the experts here wouldn't have been allowed to cast off by the CF Approval Experts.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:03   #209

Rich...bad analogy. Virtually all off the 300,000 million people visit the bathroom multiple times each day... and compare that to cruising mishaps? Makes no sense. Apples and oranges.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:08   #210
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Rich...bad analogy. Virtually all off the 300,000 million people visit the bathroom multiple times each day... and compare that to cruising mishaps? Makes no sense. Apples and oranges.
It's called illustrating absurdity by being absurd...sorry you missed that.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc