Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2015, 07:43   #166
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I've been following on YouTube a young Aussie couple doing a circumnavigation. From what I understand the guy broke his back in an accident and it motivated him for this adventure. He went to Italy and bought a 43 foot Beneteau even though he had no sailing experience. He got help from people there to learn how to sail his boat. Set off for Greece cruising solo at times. There he met an Aussie girl and she joined him.

They are great people. Met them in the Caribbean. Salt of the earth. They would both be hounded put of a forum like this.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 07:54   #167

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Another angle to this concept... internet postings are increasingly being scrutinized by the authorities. Especially in cases that end up with someone hurt. For example, in New Zealand its my understanding that they have passed a trolling law; if you say something like "go kill yourself", even if you don't mean it and even if the person doesn't do it, you can be criminally charged somehow.

New Zealand bans cyberbulling, threatens internet trolls with up to 3 years in prison - Quartz

I can imagine a day where someone gets advise from us, goes out sailing, sinks their boat and the the next thing we know, CruiserForum folks are getting subpoenas.

Old 29-07-2015, 08:02   #168

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Oh, so would that make me the idiot mate? I do agree likes do work.
Hey, only 1 guy liked that rock and string post. That makes me an idiot. Finally moving up in this world! Booyah!

goat
Old 29-07-2015, 08:13   #169

Who ever said people should go get dinghy experience before cruising. 1 guy takes one element of a post totally out of context and now nobody can read.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-07-2015, 08:49   #170

Sailing is both a science and an art. Einstein was one of the worlds smartest men, he loved sailing but he was a really crappy sailor. Most of the worlds best sailors did in fact start on dinghy's and racing in them.
If you want to learn how to sail well get on a race boat for a few seasons. Most cruisers are not very good sailors but they don't have to be. Many people have sailed around this globe with mediocre sailing skills but good cruising skills. Applying good cruising skills and some common sense will allow you to safely sail almost anywhere. Good sailors are not necessarily good cruisers and good cruisers are not necessarily good sailors. If you can skipper an America's Cup boat you are a hell of a sailor but that may not qualify you to be a good cruiser and just because you can sail around the world does not qualify you as a good sailor.
Old 29-07-2015, 08:50   #171

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
To be fair, lots of advice involves the following:

Go make friends at the marina and sail with them to see if you like it( many variations on this)

Join a club and see if you like that.

Take a few classes to see if you like that and get some real knowledge. Also, read a lot on the topic for the same reasons.

Buy a cheap boat and get used to maintenance and see if you can deal with that.

However, is it any surprise that if one come to a sailing forum looking for encouragement to go cruise that one might find that encouragement?

This post received no comment. However, I do believe in most cases, both encouragement and sound advice is given to the dreamers who come here. The encouragement sounds a lot like: "come on down, it has been great..." The advice is typically centered around getting the poster knowledgeable enough to survive or decide better of the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-07-2015, 09:03   #172

I'm all for encouragement, but that should include the proper preparative steps : learning to sail and navigate, preparing and shaking down the boat, and so on.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:17   #173

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
They are great people. Met them in the Caribbean. Salt of the earth. They would both be hounded put of a forum like this.
I know.... I saw that Riley has just started a blog and was posting stuff from his trip so far. In St Martin some guy named Mark helped him with his rudder and Mark had a massive smile in the photo. I suspect Mark was not smiling for the camera but at the photographer 😜

Circumnavigation, bendy boat, no previous sailing experience and until Greece, mostly solo. What makes you think they'd be hounded 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-07-2015, 09:20   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Many apparently opposing views and somehow they all make sense to me.

I think about the only time I respond with: "definitely, do NOT go" is when I get asked by people in mid-life crisis of half baked children and much hated jobs. I simply do not see extended cruising vacations as a way of solving long accumulated (a.k.a well earned) trouble from fear and money driven life management.

So, my reluctance to tell people "just go" is actually socially and psychologically driven rather than sailing skills (or rather lack of thereof) driven.

b.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:21   #175
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I'm all for encouragement, but that should include the proper preparative steps : learning to sail and navigate, preparing and shaking down the boat, and so on.
Yes, but your version of sailing knowledge, nav and prep may not agree with others. There be a difficulty No one should cross an ocean untill they have crossed an ocean... The ARC has a good one... To do the ARC you need to have gotten to the Canaries lol

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:26   #176

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Who ever said people should go get dinghy experience before cruising. 1 guy takes one element of a post totally out of context and now nobody can read.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It's mentioned at least once per "I have a dream but have never sailed" thread

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-07-2015, 09:44   #177

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Hey, only 1 guy liked that rock and string post. That makes me an idiot. Finally moving up in this world! Booyah!

goat
More important than a rock and string on some boats is:

Rock, Paper, Scissors!

Very Useful for deciding who gets to do the dirty work aboard, such as unclogging a clogged head, going for water, taking anchor watch, cleaning dishes, etc.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:11   #178

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Mark,

I think hoppy's key phrase was "Got help and learned how to sail." As opposed to go off blindly as I see some encouraged to do.

I want to buy a 50' sail boat and solo around the world next week, what is a mast?
Old 29-07-2015, 10:16   #179
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I think we should always encourage people to live their dreams. And also encourage them to not take shortcuts. Big dreams often require many small steps.

If someone comes here and tells us their dreams they are often looking for direction to get them along on their dream (or for help is finding out if their dream is true to their situation).

People react oddly at best to restrictions or information that is counter to their views. (Take the skipper that was told of the broken swivel on their anchor from the photos of anchors setting thread).

Others just by their nature are not very capable of learning from others and strike out on their own (scoobert) with the degree of success often a matter of luck.

So we could say "that is a great dream, don't forget to get some training, read a book or two and have a surveyor take a look to be sure the boat is seaworthy".

It reminds me of 2 young men I met at the top of the Reid Headwall on Mt Hood. They were holding their snowboards looking over the headwall and were clearly intending to ride down it.

Now I could of gone over and told them what fools they were and that they were stupid for even thinking about it. But, rather, I started talking to them about how I had just soloed it and that the 200' of 70 degree ice half way down was in great shape and made for some great climbing as well as the 500' of 50-60 degree hard pack.

They found another slope to ride. Some of course would go anyway - we read about them often enough.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:28   #180

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
More important than a rock and string on some boats is:

Rock, Paper, Scissors!

Very Useful for deciding who gets to do the dirty work aboard, such as unclogging a clogged head, going for water, taking anchor watch, cleaning dishes, etc.
Less useful for us solo sailors.

goat

Tags
enc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: