Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2008, 19:53   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
When the job isn't going "fast enough" for you on your boat

Due to difficulties in troubleshooting a problem, or it becoming more involved that originally expected....like having to take off one component to access another......

Please keep your frustrations to yourself......don't call the guy up after a long....hot....trying day and complain about a light switch left on or a spot of dirt somewhere.

Most people don't realize that a lot of us "take our jobs home" with respect to thinking about how to approach the problem from a different direction the next day... a fresh start so to speak.

The 'venting light' has been extiguished!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 20:06   #2

Boat: Morgan OI 414
You didn't have a bad day did you ? Your not alone, I have them too. Tomorrow is another day.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 20:16   #3
Eternal Member

I wouldn't call it a bad day

It was that kind of day when things just don't fall together the way you would like them to.

As a side-note.....it is becoming apparent that this vessel has been worked on by several people before me....there are signs of some real BS work having been done....I will give the owner the benefit of the doubt...sometimes it takes a little longer for a "burned" owner to develop trust in you.

Tomorrow IS another day in paradise.....It beats flying a desk (done that).
Or working for a "bonehead".(we've ALL been there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
You didn't have a bad day did you ? Your not alone, I have them too. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 25-06-2008, 20:48   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Most people don't realize that a lot of us "take our jobs home" with respect to thinking about how to approach the problem from a different direction the next day... a fresh start so to speak.
The same goes for my trade, although it doesn't happen much these days. I've been doing what I do for so long, that I'm hardly ever challenged by a job, but once in a great while I get one that makes me think. I'll do what work I can do for the day, think about the problem that I'll have to deal with the next day, then head out to my local coffee shop to wind down. My brain will be thinking about the next day's problem in the back ground, and before I get to the job again I'll have a plan of attack all figured out.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 20:54   #5
Eternal Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 26-06-2008, 00:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So it's not just me that get's them. "Those" jobs that is.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 00:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The jobs? No Problem? The customers....

Well, let's just say this would be a great business if it wasn't for all them damn pesky customers...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 07:54   #8

Boat: Privilege 39
I've got this problem now on my boat. The guy doing all the work is really slow - he's taking forever at getting the projects done! And I'm not sure he's really qualified - sometimes I'm not very happy with the work the guy does. He also only works on the boat a couple of days a week, I think he's got some other jobs or something. I'd fire the guy but then I'd be in a real bind.

OK, I admit it - the guy I'm complaining about is me.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 08:43   #9

Boat: Looking with intent
Those days hopefully are coming along again. To much time off due to sickness and I am even ready to deal with the professional football players here in the UK as patients again. The biggest problem is getting people to realize that they are in control of a large part of their health and what to due about it.

Michael
Chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 08:53   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
it is becoming apparent that this vessel has been worked on by several people before me....
It is amazing how it universally happens on any used boat. There are so many ways to take short cuts and do things not as well as required. It is also true that doing jobs on the boat takes three times longer to setup, perform, and pay for, and clean up than any place on the planet. Three hours to do a 10 minute job is not unheard of. We won't get into the jobs that should take a full day.

It's the way it is. Take a deep breath and forget about time. Being in a hurry is the curse of any cruiser - everything wrong starts to look like a shortcut.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:24   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
I've got this problem now on my boat. The guy doing all the work is really slow - he's taking forever at getting the projects done! And I'm not sure he's really qualified - sometimes I'm not very happy with the work the guy does. He also only works on the boat a couple of days a week, I think he's got some other jobs or something. I'd fire the guy but then I'd be in a real bind.

He probably drinks all the beer in your fridge at the end of each workday too...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:54   #12
Eternal Member

Went back to the boat today.....put the call on the back burner....later in the day, the owner stopped by.....and guess what? I felt like I was hearing a confession.
I learned from the owner of some of the tribulations he went thru with this boat.....
WHEW!!!!!! I was speechless........

Making progress........
Old 27-06-2008, 04:51   #13

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The jobs? No Problem? The customers....

Well, let's just say this would be a great business if it wasn't for all them damn pesky customers...
You have those kind of customers too? We have those kind of customers a lot. Running the network in a government agency can be quite trying at times, not due to the problems that arise........

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 06:23   #14

Boat: Caliber 38
learning amoeba style

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post

Your post was so appropriate for me even though I am still boatless.
I have to admit, and you can check with my first mate, this handyman takes on new projects, with gusto that quickly slows down, and learns like an amoeba: bang your head on an obsticle, back up and approach it from another angle, bang your head and repeat if necessary. I love working on my boat - preferably at the marina where errors can be corrected (easily).
sailingduke1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 01:39   #15

Boat: Looking with intent
HUh????

Was just looking at the posts here without being signed in and there was links in my post that I DID NOT place there. Does the site place them? When I signed in they are not there. Could some one please let me know what is going on here.

Sorry for being very far off topic. Oh, on topic health is getting better but have a few items that are going to be long term issues (hopefully will be able to find a way to work around them). Still working at the grind to get the family on the water full time, will see how it goes and keep working at it.

Michael