Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 04:11   #196

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: When neighboring boat disagrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
!

I generally anchor further out than the crowd -- with 100 meters of heavy chain, I'm OK in deeper water than what most like.
We are the same but you always get some wanker want to park beside the big white boat in the middle of nowhere.

Today was the perfect example.
We leave an anchorage for a bit of privacy so I can make some power tool noise and anchor on the edge of a sandbank with strong tidal current in about 15 knots of wind and some chop.

Sandbank dries at low and has 20 ft of water about 30 ft from bank and thats where I anchor, tidal current keeps us off bank, all good
Not a boat for 2 miles in any direction.

Boat turns up and drops anchor between us and sandbank, could have parked anywhere but nope, on top of us was the spot.

We finished what we were doing around 5:30 and went back to the now empty anchorage (Sunday night) and left knob end out there by himself to enjoy the now, 25 knots of wind.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:36   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Where possible, though, of course, boats should anchor away from boats unlike them. Tris and cats can often anchor in places monos can't even go! Lucky guys!.
I like parking on the beach wasn't even worth using the outboard for the 20 yrds to shore. What you can't see in this photo is the huge flat rock under my yacht. The sounder was saying 1.4 metres and there was still a couple of hours of falling tide to go. Looks like I forgot the anchor ball Anchor isn't doing much, seems to be lying to a few metres of chain. Could probably have walked ashore with a rope instead of anchoring.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Babblecombe Beach.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	187638  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:39   #198
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When neighboring boat disagrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I like parking on the beach wasn't even worth using the outboard for the 20 yrds to shore. What you can't see in this photo is the huge flat rock under my yacht. The sounder was saying 1.4 metres and there was still a couple of hours of falling tide to go. Seems I forgot the anchor ball

Pete
Flat rock.. Bilge keels..
No worries..
Is that at Studland.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:51   #199

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I like parking on the beach [emoji2] wasn't even worth using the outboard for the 20 yrds to shore. What you can't see in this photo is the huge flat rock under my yacht. The sounder was saying 1.4 metres and there was still a couple of hours of falling tide to go. Looks like I forgot the anchor ball Anchor isn't doing much, seems to be lying to a few metres of chain.

Pete
God, I love bilge keel boats [emoji76]
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:56   #200

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
God, I love bilge keel boats [emoji76]
Yep, just find somewhere flat and park up. A river bed will do just fine.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CF.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	187649  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:09   #201

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Flat rock.. Bilge keels..
No worries..
Is that at Studland.???
Bit further down the coast, Babblecombe Beach half way between Brixham and Dartmouth. I don't even think there is a footpath down the cliff so we had the place to ourselves, just a few new age hippies in the next cove along.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Babblecombe Beach.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	187650  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:31   #202

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Tris and cats can often anchor in places monos can't even go! Lucky guys!

It's not luck, it's a decision made before purchase !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:34   #203

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So in practice, conflicts are very rare, even in very crowded anchorages.
Try anchoring in La Paz bay, Baja California, DH! In the cruising season there, the tidal flow through the anchorage is fast and has lots of eddies, and the wind is gusty. The result is locally known as the "La Paz Waltz" and boats just go crazy. When we first arrived there and anchored at what seemed a reasonable distance from a neighbor, he came over and kindly explained the situation, and we moved to a different spot wiht more room. He was far more experienced as a cruiser than we were, and we appreciated his mentoring... especially when we witnessed more than a few collisions over the next weeks. Mostly they are not hi speed events, but awkward at best... better avoided!

I believe that nowadays there are several additional marinas there, and the anchorage is less crowded, but in 1986 there was but one and it was always full. And the crowds were largely novices like us, off on our first long term cruise!

Jim
Old 10-03-2019, 20:56   #204

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What Jim said about the "La Paz Waltz" has to be experienced to believe.
I'll never forget being anchored there during a big flood current flowing in from the East with a hooting Westerly. We were fairly stable in our Lord Nelson with its 5' 4''draft and full keel, but it was pretty shocking to see the boat facing South with about four knots of current going under the starboard side and exiting on the port side.

Lots of boats were zooming all around on their anchors, then stopping and just sitting for a bit and taking off again. Really bizarre to watch.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 22:51   #205

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Try anchoring in La Paz bay, Baja California, DH! In the cruising season there, the tidal flow through the anchorage is fast and has lots of eddies, and the wind is gusty. The result is locally known as the "La Paz Waltz" and boats just go crazy. ......
Its not just waltzing boats, here's a picture of the #23 channel buoy cruising through the La Paz anchorage with the current.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lapazIMG_5494[5].png
Views:	161
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	187746  
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 00:13   #206

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Try anchoring in La Paz bay, Baja California, DH! In the cruising season there, the tidal flow through the anchorage is fast and has lots of eddies, and the wind is gusty. The result is locally known as the "La Paz Waltz" and boats just go crazy. . . .

As a matter of fact, I have anchored in La Paz Bay!

But I was in a friend's Swan 90, and we were anchored a bit further out than the crowd, so not much affected. There are surely some places which require a bit more room than others, but I guess that a bit more than a rode's length should be enough space even here.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 00:33   #207

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
It's not luck, it's a decision made before purchase !
Give me my mono with 120 meters of chain and a fast dinghy parked in deep water outside of everyone over jostling fenders out for beachfront property any day of the week!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:12   #208

Boat: Beneteau Sense 51

Only the person there can assess who is right and who is wrong. Generally the first person there is given the benefit of the doubt. It is always a good idea to ask how much anchor rode the other boat has out to assess how the boats will move. There is one interesting consideration that is seldom considered. We sail in Southern California where anchoring is often is 40-70 feet of water. Always try to assess not only how the boats are anchored (one hook or two, spacing etc) but consider if they are on an all chain or chain and line. The dynamics of an anchored boat on rope is considerably more active even in relatively benign conditions. A boat on chain may use a 4:1 scope and a boat on chain/rope will often use 6 or 7:1. Just some food for thought.
In The Mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 21:50   #209

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Just been on the other side of this issue.
In Key West waiting for a weather window for the Bahamas we were on the hook for 1.5 weeks in the same spot. The power boat beside us would swing within 25 feet of us between strong tide/wind cycles so we pretty much knew our comfortable spacing.
Late one evening a cruising boat came in and dropped anchor between us, despite having a large anchoring hole just a few hundred feet ahead of his chosen spot. That evening in very light conditions he came within 15 feet of my boat at 3am, I know because I had to get up to check. With a strong northely front coming through the next evening I dinghyed over to his boat and politely offered some advice and a request to just move up a hundred feet or so. He gave me a kind of wave off and said he'd move. He never did.
He was a short guy with a short guy tude.
The next morning I again dinghyed over and politely asked if he could nicely move just a little, he became belligerent and started to lecturing me, my wife was ready to jump on his deck and give him what for, so I turned around and left. I did however let him know that he really didn't want to deal with me on the deck of his boat at 3am in a collision situation. His short guy attitude would not allow him to judge that probability.
Needless to say, the front did come through, he was off the boat at that time, his wife, who was on the boat pretty much scorched him to get his ass back and move pronto shortly before we collided.
Long story short, ask the people around you what the characteristics of the Anchorage are, anyone who's been there through s few tide and weather cycles will have a dead read on what is doable and what is not. Although a space may appear big enough it may not actually be.
In this case I had 140 feet of chain out in 23 feet of water due to the nature of the strong currents and unprotected fetch from the north, if this guy had 60 feet out I'd be surprised., Just no common sense. The risk of an unpleasant meeting was high.
I've been on the water 45 years and still don't assume anything, this is only the third or fourth time I've had to forcefully insist a boat move for safety sake.
There's always more to the story than meets the eye. Sometimes it's just not obvious.
Sure, there's always going to be some thin skinned Territorial types, but don't discount their concerns out of hand without first asking why in a dignified manner.
I'm the most reserved and dignified person when dealing with an issue but you really don't want to meet up with me at 3 am when your boats carreening into mine. It won't be a pleasant experience..
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 22:16   #210
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
.....He gave me a kind of wave off and said he'd move. He never did.
He was a short guy with a short guy tude.

Sure, there's always going to be some thin skinned Territorial types, but don't discount their concerns out of hand without first asking why in a dignified manner.
I'm the most reserved and dignified person when dealing with an issue but you really don't want to meet up with me at 3 am when your boats carreening into mine. It won't be a pleasant experience..
Very good balanced advice...

I imagine the boat anchored on the other side of Napoleon had equal concerns.

Sometines discussing with that skipper first and going over together as bookend neighbours, reinforces the point.

Also when someone tells me they are going to move...
.....I always ask them WHEN?... just to be sure our chains are clear but really to make them commit (Franklin Planner training[emoji4] )

The always difficult part with some late coming bozo, is deciding when you need to move if they remain stubborn [emoji35]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat