Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 08:17   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When neighboring boat disagrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Wow! $500 for a range finder? Those are expensive!

The GolfBuddy is only $113, and it is very accurate.
If its further than I can throw a brick I'm good..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:23   #137

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: When neighboring boat disagrees

I will offer a happy story. We have a big race weekend on Chesapeake Bay called Screwpile, named for iconic lighthouses. I was down for the weekend, singlehanding. I showed up early to help with prep on the boat I used to race before I aged out of foredeck. The afternoon before the first day of races the anchorage started to fill. A lightweight race boat anchored right on top of me. We had a very polite discussion and they agreed they were too close and I agreed that there was no one else to go. I also agreed that if they did move someone else would plunk in. They said they would stand an anchor watch. Not entirely trusting I said that was fine. Wind was light to zero so an hour later I went over in my dinghy and offered a ride ashore for dinner. The skipper stayed aboard for anchor watch. My confidence ratcheted up. We brought him dinner back. I'm a light sleeper and on the boat I'm up often. All night every time I flashed a light on that boat I got a flash back. I don't know what their watch schedule was and I don't care. The person in the cockpit was awake and alert. That was integrity. That was seamanship.

At the after party I bought them a round of drinks.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:26   #138

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Reading through this thread reminds me of one of my first delivery charters in the PNW.
I was driving a steel 60 footer for a relatively new owner and early in the afternoon anchored in Montague Harbor just north of Active Pass. We were the only vessel in the anchorage at the time until a large boat went to the north end of the bay and dropped their hook around 1700 hours. I called him on the VHF and warned him that the holding ground oin the north end was pretty rocky and not great for anchorage. He told me that he had anchored there many times before with no problem and that they were only stopping for dinner. The sun disappeared but the vessel remained. Probably enjoying an after dinner cocktail and watching the sun set.
I lit up our anchor lights and ran a spotlight over the vessel to our north thinking at the time if he dragged he would be on us in no time! In Addition, I entered the time, GP
S coordinates and tree placement into our log book to memorialize our position.
Those familiar with the area know that Montague Bay is about 1 mile long and if he dragged anchor would have a long fetch before colliding with us.
I tend to turn in early so was in my bunk by about 9:00 pm. At 2:30 am I was awoken by a large crash as the vessel anchored to our north lost his holding ground and drifted down the whole length of the Bay. Little to no damage to our boat but a lot of scratches to his hull and lifted a large section of his toe rail!
The two owners exchanged insurance info and we left early the next morning.
I had pretty much forgotten the incident until about 2 months later was served with a summons to appear in court. The vessels owner who had drifted down on us had sued our vessel owners, me and a bunch of John Does for damages caused by the anchoring of our vessel too close to his.
The judge found in our favor after considering who was anchored first, my log entry and our collective testimony about the event. The$ amount was considerable and the judge told me on the record that he held me and the vessel I was driving to a much higher standard of seamanship and watch keeping than the other unlicensed skipper/owner because I was a licensed Captain and the other guy was not!
I mention this story because it is important for licensed skippers to be sure to do everything by the book, write even the most insignificant things in your log book and be prepared to defend your actions in court before a judge who knows nothing about the sea or maritime conventions. Sure saved our ass!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:30   #139

Nobody has mentioned scope and swinging room which apart from the social aspect, is what it is all about.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:35   #140

Boat: Roberts 36

It is always difficult to judge distances on the water. I purchased a range finder from amazon and am now able to accurately measure my distance from other boats and the shore. In the same situation as stated by the OP, I was able to assure the other boat that there was plenty of room between us.
Gaphumbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:47   #141

Boat: Rafiki 37

My spouse is an avid swimmer. She has a visceral understanding of pool lengths. So we measure our distance in how many pool-lengths away other boats are. When in doubt, or usually just out of curiosity, I use our radar to get an actual measure.

But mostly we just anchor where few tend to go, so it’s rarely a problem.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:07   #142

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
That skipper should really have let us lash along side, give us some hot showers and feed us some of his prime steaks that I am sure he would have had on board.
So because he has a bigger boat than yours he should have to share what he has with you? Not sure I get the logic here...
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:33   #143

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Reading through this thread reminds me of one of my first delivery charters in the PNW.
I was driving a steel 60 footer for a relatively new owner and early in the afternoon anchored in Montague Harbor just north of Active Pass. We were the only vessel in the anchorage at the time until a large boat went to the north end of the bay and dropped their hook around 1700 hours. I called him on the VHF and warned him that the holding ground oin the north end was pretty rocky and not great for anchorage. He told me that he had anchored there many times before with no problem and that they were only stopping for dinner. The sun disappeared but the vessel remained. Probably enjoying an after dinner cocktail and watching the sun set.
I lit up our anchor lights and ran a spotlight over the vessel to our north thinking at the time if he dragged he would be on us in no time! In Addition, I entered the time, GP
S coordinates and tree placement into our log book to memorialize our position.
Those familiar with the area know that Montague Bay is about 1 mile long and if he dragged anchor would have a long fetch before colliding with us.
I tend to turn in early so was in my bunk by about 9:00 pm. At 2:30 am I was awoken by a large crash as the vessel anchored to our north lost his holding ground and drifted down the whole length of the Bay. Little to no damage to our boat but a lot of scratches to his hull and lifted a large section of his toe rail!
The two owners exchanged insurance info and we left early the next morning.
I had pretty much forgotten the incident until about 2 months later was served with a summons to appear in court. The vessels owner who had drifted down on us had sued our vessel owners, me and a bunch of John Does for damages caused by the anchoring of our vessel too close to his.
The judge found in our favor after considering who was anchored first, my log entry and our collective testimony about the event. The$ amount was considerable and the judge told me on the record that he held me and the vessel I was driving to a much higher standard of seamanship and watch keeping than the other unlicensed skipper/owner because I was a licensed Captain and the other guy was not!
I mention this story because it is important for licensed skippers to be sure to do everything by the book, write even the most insignificant things in your log book and be prepared to defend your actions in court before a judge who knows nothing about the sea or maritime conventions. Sure saved our ass!
Phil
Thanks for the post Phil - great to have a first hand account of how things actually turn out once they get to a court battle
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:48   #144

Boat: Catalina MkII 42

I was the only boat anchored in Bag Bay Gwaii Hanaas when I received a radio call asking me to move. Unfortunately I answered the radio call which came from kayakers on a distant shore who actually admitted that they were used to having the bay to themselves and did I have any other options. I didn't move but they tried the same call to the next boat that came in. That boat had the good sense to not answer.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:49   #145

Happens to us all and most prevalent seems to be someone dropping their anchor really close to mine. Problem is if I have been there for a while there would have been windshifts so the new boat may not realise. A small buoy off tethered to the anchor helps.

Bareboats are the worst offenders and cranking up music doesnt help either
peter.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:42   #146

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1

When we get told we're too close we usually respond with "You obviously have never anchored in Formentera (Balearic islands) in August.
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:57   #147

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

had something similiar some time ago - i judged i was anchored sufficiently clear of the boat that asked me to move - turned out the guy had an anchor that was way too big for both his boat and his anchor winch and in order to break out his anchor he had to do a couple of 360s once the winch gave up - not really my fault and he didnt attempt to explain it to me beforehand. I was right though - even with his idiotic manoevring i was clear enough away.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 13:08   #148

Boat: Ocean Alexander 50 Classico

Some of the responses here are indicative of the self centered, "I deserve"society we have become.

The first boat there has priority Period! Ignoring that person's concerns and discomfort and horning in is just plain selfish and wrong. You deserve nothing and no one owes you any courtesy just because you feel they should.

They are the captain of their boat and you have no place dictating how they should keep their boat safe. If they Express concern and you can't elevate his concern to his satisfaction then you MOVE!

The fact that there is so expressing their experience out there yet they Express a willingness to compromise proper seamanship because it's a crowded or small Anchorage shows how inexperienced and unsafe some really are. You should never make decisions based on what your past experience has let you get away with. If you are willing to short scope you dont have enough of the bad experiences to teach you the unexpected can and will happen. The guy your horning in on probably does though!
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 13:18   #149

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Some people just seem to want as much room as possible, regardless. I particularly love those individuals that use 10 to 1 or more scope in a sheltered anchorage to ensure they have all the room they want !!
As a generalisation, whilst 'needing' no more space, North American yachts appear to 'demand' more space than European flagged equivalents; I've held for years that in any given anchorage, you can fit about twice the number of European boats as USA/Canadian ones, or 3x as many if they were all French.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 13:20   #150

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
As a generalisation, whilst 'needing' no more space, North American yachts appear to 'demand' more space than European flagged equivalents; I've held for years that in any given anchorage, you can fit about twice the number of European boats as USA/Canadian ones, or 3x as many if they were all French.
same for car parking lots.... In frace you rarely find a car without a fender bender...

Tags
boat