Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-06-2015, 21:24   #61

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: What's your worst guest/crew experience?

Or there is the time I posted on Spin Sheet as available to crew. I wasn't looking to date. Apparently the two men that contacted me were. I met both in person.

One I sailed with. He got kinda creepy. Said he wanted a hot chick to live and sail with, naked, on the Chesapeake. Had a plan he did, he had such a horrible divorce that he was not only financially broke, he also had no intention of marriage again, and would expect his future mate to be financially independent enough to sail and live with him, pulling her own weight, and his, financially. Hmmmm , so enticing, hard to believe I'd let him slip away.

The other man was very nice, we met a few times over drinks. Swapped stories. However I was not seeking a date, I wanted to crew. So that went no where.

Never volunteered for crew on spin sheet ever again. In my naivety I didn't realize it was a dating site disguised as a crew site.

Old 11-06-2015, 22:30   #62

Speaking of being naive......Was dating a wealthy guy once. He proposed to me........wait for it...............it wasn't marriage.

He proposed, that since he could potentially afford to retire and go cruising, (While I, still then in my 40's and of modest means, would have to wait a decade or more to do so.) that it would be a great idea for me to store his belongings in my garage (allowing him free storage) while he cruised about the Caribbean. When I brought up objections to his plan he actually tried to convince me that it would be a sure commitment from him, to me. After all, he'd be sure to return to collect his dearest belongings. And when I question the temptation toward infidelity? He countered that there were no single women in the Caribbean, only single men.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

I swear I am no way creative enough to make this stuff up.

But that's a story of crew/love relationship, not sure that it qualifies to the original post.

Old 11-06-2015, 22:50   #63

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Definite cringe worthy stories Gadagirl!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:16   #64

Boat: islandpacket

Gadagirl, I hope these guys see this, what a couple of tools. But sadly they won't see themselves it's always someone else fault . Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:09   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

had someone here who had decided voluntarily to sell his own boat and come help me with mine. despite my telling him not to come here.
ok first day--mucho disrespect in my own home.
ok
so work done--halfassed and incomplete totally. endangered boat. wouldnot follow simple instructions.
had a feeling he was not deep water capable, and mebbe even schizoophrenic, as only voices he everlistened to were inside his own head...
now i am redoing everything he touched--
and unfortunately missing weather windows i need to use for northing.
is all good--i found th ew thing he did that would sink my boat BEFORE setting out on a misadventure.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:14   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Gada, you would love my boat: only sailing and friendships. Zee, at least they didn't try to sink your boat, as I had one do.
All in all, this thread is proper evidence of the need to learn solo sailing.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:22   #67
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Gada, you would love my boat: only sailing and friendships. Zee, at least they didn't try to sink your boat, as I had one do.
All in all, this thread is proper evidence of the need to learn solo sailing.
he actually did try that but i found it in time, thank neptune/poseidon... whew...
actually, i thank th eboat for telling me the problem existed and i could fix it easily enough. just changed sani out hose... all better, oh yes and the pump assembly. papier mache is a fun medium for art but a true tube occluder....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:11   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavor 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Quote: "One I sailed with. He got kinda creepy..."EndQuote
To the gals who've been disrespected (or mistreated) - on behalf of my gender, apologies offered. I appreciate this isn't group therapy (at least not overtly), but yes, there are some creepy (in various ways) folks around. Even as a guy, I've bumped into a few (don't get me started). The watch words are the same as sailing generally, an awareness of conditions and sensitivity to the clues that foretell what's coming especially when the clouds turn dark and the foam starts blowing.
My antidotal observation was one where I replied, a couple of times, to a particular crew wanted posting with an description my experience, but with zero response, and I could see the same happened with a few other guys reply's, but then when a gal replied, the skipper replied instantly and urged the gal to "come aboard, quickly, my dear - we're ready for you" (not word for word, but you get the drift). Hope it went OK for her.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:58   #69

Thanks all. I just count those moments as one of my adventures in life and laugh about it now. I am not tainted enough to believe there are no good men. I have several fine examples of good men in my family, friendships, and work associates.

I plan to sail with friends, have friends and family sail with me. And learn to sola as quickly as I can once I get my boat.
Old 13-06-2015, 23:20   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok first day--mucho disrespect in my own home.
ok
so work done--halfassed and incomplete totally. endangered boat. wouldnot follow simple instructions.
had a feeling he was not deep water capable, and mebbe even schizoophrenic, as only voices he everlistened to were inside his own head...
now i am redoing everything he touched--
and unfortunately missing weather windows i need to use for northing.
is all good--i found th ew thing he did that would sink my boat BEFORE setting out on a misadventure.
Sounds like the drunken fool I had on board last summer. Thinks got very weird and dangerous as soon as we were beyond sight of land. He refused to follow any instructions and argued constantly. Couldn't be trusted to take the helm for even a minute. (See post #52). Alcohol destroys brain cells.
Old 15-06-2015, 15:10   #71

Boat: Pearson P30

Took a family member and his GF for a sail in the Great South Bay, calm, wind at 12 knots SSW, perfect for the bay. All was well until I let out the Jennie and we took off at 7 knots, heeled 15 degrees. Still trying to get the finger nail marks out of the teak.

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280
Old 15-06-2015, 15:43   #72

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

It was a beautiful summer morning, great for sailing, so I called up a friend and invited him and his wife sailing. I told them to come right away, before the winds picks up too much, and they said they would be there asap. Well, one thing leads to another, and its several hours before they arrive. By then its blowing 20knots. While I waited, I tucked a double reef in the main. So out we go. I get the main up, and we are flying along, close reach, rail down, bow boiling, me doing everything while my friends hold on tight, looking worried. The waves had increased to about 1m, and we are starting to get wet. Still, this is fun, and still within my safe parameters. Then I take a mistep on the wet decks, and slice open my foot on the tail of a split pin. My friends don't know the first thing about sailing, and the water makes my cut look like a crime scene. So I douse the main, and head downwind. I get a couple gaskets on the sail and start the engine, all the while blood pouring from my foot. I had stayed in the vicinity of the marina, so fortunately we were back at my dock in just a few minutes. But when I looked at the boat from the dock, it looked like someone had been murdered on board.

If only they had come when invited, we would have had a couple hours of nice sailing in light air, and been back at the dock before the wind really cranked up.

My foot was fine...just a scratch.
Old 15-06-2015, 15:53   #73

The nice lady on the boat next to mine at my marina had her boat for sale. An older gentleman answered her ad, and when she invited him to see the boat, agreed to come. She spent a really long time showing him the boat, until it became obvious he had no interest in the boat at all, and thought he was on a date. My nice friend then came over, explained the situation she found herself in, and asked me to help. I went over and told him politely to "get lost", which he promptly did.
Old 15-06-2015, 15:59   #74
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
But when I looked at the boat from the dock, it looked like someone had been murdered on board.
Hope you took a picture to show guests from then on so you could tell them "This is what happened last time crew didn't follow directions"
Old 15-06-2015, 16:20   #75

I bought a C&C27 at fifty point, the other end of lake ontario from where I live. I could not find anyone to help with the delivery home, and finally asked my father to come. Although I could do everything myself, I like having some company, an extra set of hands just in case, and help keeping a lookout while I sleep.

Although the prevailing wind would have us on a dead run, a big nor easter came up, and we found ourselves beating into 3m seas, rail down. All my father had to do was sit there, and keep me company, or he could sleep below. At one point he asked me how to use the head. I remained in the cockpit almost all the time, watching the struggling autohelm, navigating, etc.

After several hours of rough weather, I jump below to get something...and splash into ankle deep ice cold water...we are SINKING!! And its almost up to the engine! I do my best to control my panic, and start checking through hulls. When I get to the head, I find the bowl totally full. The head pump valve had been left open (despite the ridiculously big red sign warning how to close the valve after use and the risk of sinking). Our speed and angle of heel had induced a syphon. I shut the valve, and started pumping the manual bilge pump. Half an hour later, the bilge was empty, and remarkably clean.

Soon after, the wind turned light, the seas calmed, and the remainder of the trip was uneventful.

A few years later, I told this story at his funeral, and we all had a good laugh.

Tags
crew, enc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: