Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
"The first thing we do, let's kill all of the lawyers."

William Shakespeare (1594 AD)

Old 22-10-2008, 21:22   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380; Indigo Moon
Hi y'all,

Once upon a time, when I was a practicing attorney, I had many a business client with a collection suit and/or contract disputes that could have been prevented or at least made straightforward by using good written contracts at the outset.

Sure, there will always be deadbeats and crooks that will always surface no matter what, but the name of the game is to take the time and effort to get good written contracts in place.

That can mean the difference between a few letters settling a matter versus a long, expensive and frustrating tour through litigation.

Anyway, my favorite business clients were the ones who were hard-headed and never took my advice, but instead kept "shooting from the hip" and doing handshake deals. Those types kept me very busy, time and time again. I'd shake my head and they would say "I know, I should have checked with you first" and then we were off into litigation land again.

Some guys love trouble. A rare few even like litigation!

And many of my clients over the years had the misfortune of dealing with crooks on both sides: sometimes the crooked service provider and sometimes the deadbeat customer, etc.

As for Shakespeare "kill all the lawyers", well, I sure met my fair share that would seem to have it coming.

In truth, however, that is the most inaccurately quoted "dig" against lawyers. The reason they wanted to kill all the lawyers is not because they were hated. It was because they knew the lawyers were too smart and would figure out and expose secret plans.

I prefer the simple and direct remarks like: what's black and brown and looks good on lawyer?

A doberman!

All the best,

Buddy

Old 22-10-2008, 21:48   #18

Yah, I'm pretty old school. I like to be with them throughout the process and we usually have a very active line of communication. When they usually do a great job, I always love to pay more for their outstanding work and professional demeanor as a tip and a thank you.

Maybe it's just me.. But I do agree that I can't stand idiots and dead beats. I still believe in pure honesty and working together for a mutual goal of satisfaction.
Old 23-10-2008, 01:28   #19
Kai Nui

Unfortunately this is becoming far more common. As the economy gets tight, people are looking to squeeze every Penny they can. Scruples go out the window. I have seen the incidence of insurance fraud escalate substantially in the past 6 months. Not the obvious big dollar stuff, but the small issues driven by desperation. I see people every day that are one paycheck away from losing their business, and they have made a mistake that cost them that one pay check. It is very sad, but, like many, I am managing a business, and can not be a charity organization. I have had people admit to fraudulent activity because they felt entitled. Not sure I really understand that one, but it is becoming all too common. There is something missing in society. Not sure what it is, but people do not seem to be bothered by their own actions.
The same attitude seems to be more common in business as well. I never felt I should have to show appreciation for a business providing the service they solicit. I have no hesitation in recognizing when a business goes above and beyond, but if I order a hamburger, and I get a hamburger. I expect the hamburger to taste good. If that hamburger exceeds my expectations, I consider that worth some recognition. If that hamburger does not meet my expectations, I still expect to pay for it. I may not buy it again, but it cost what it cost. If the hamburger shows up without meat, then I will discuss a discount. Kind of a silly analogy, but it make the point.
Old 23-10-2008, 01:52   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
... As for Shakespeare "kill all the lawyers", well, I sure met my fair share that would seem to have it coming.

In truth, however, that is the most inaccurately quoted "dig" against lawyers. The reason they wanted to kill all the lawyers is not because they were hated. It was because they knew the lawyers were too smart and would figure out and expose secret plans.

I prefer the simple and direct remarks like: what's black and brown and looks good on lawyer?

A doberman!

All the best,

Buddy
With apologies to the profession:

Here’s another interpretation of Shakespeare's famous line:

“... The argument of this remark as in fact being favorable to lawyers is a marvel of sophistry, twisting of the meaning of words in unfamiliar source, disregard of the evident intent of the original author and ad hominem attack. Whoever first came up with this interpretation surely must have been a lawyer . ...
... Far from "eliminating those who might stand in the way of a contemplated revolution" or portraying lawyers as "guardians of independent thinking", it's offered as the best feature imagined of yet for utopia. ...”

Goto: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" - it's a lawyer joke

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 09:17   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380; Indigo Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
Scruples go out the window. I have seen the incidence of insurance fraud escalate substantially in the past 6 months.
Scruples have gone out the window in many areas, and certainly in the legal profession.

In 1993, lawyers surpassed dentists as the profession with the highest incidence of clinical depression. Chemical dependency appears at 30% higher than the general population. A chemically depended male lawyer is at risk for suicide at a rate ten times the general population.

In the last five years of my practice (2000 to 2005), the ethics and professionalism of some lawyers and also some insurance adjusters began to tank. It does not take but a few lying and cheating players on each side to give the rest a pretty bad black eye.

Anyway, it is sad. Although I would never suggest handhsake deals to a client, I was raised to honor my word and if you dealt with me, a handshake was honored no matter what the ultimate cost.

In my locale, all the judges and lawyers knew who were honorable and professional and who kept their word, and I am proud to be one of them.

As for the few others, word got around pretty quick and everything had to be in writing and even then it would be hard to get some bad actors to step up and do what was agreed.

Society has changed in that regard over the last few decades. People walk away from debts, refuse to pay bills that are legitimately due, cheat and think it is part of The Game.

And I don't like it either.

And if you bring me a hamburger that is inedible, I ain't gonna eat it, nor pay for it either! Selling defective hamburgers and trying to charge for them is yet one more fraud that should not be rewarded.

Anyway, one more joke:

It's only 99% of the lawyers that give the rest a bad name!

Peace,

Buddy
Old 23-10-2008, 10:58   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
one of Danny DeVitio's movies had this line,

"Lawyers are like nuclear weapons. You know I got 'em. I know you got 'em. And if either one of us uses them we are all scr*wed."
Excellent analogy Dan....given they are so expensive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:57   #23

Boat: we don't need no steenking boat-we walk on water...
If I was the landscaper I would go back to the jobsite and undo the amount of work that the client didn't pay for, i.e. remove plants, etc.

A friend named Vito says this about lawyers:
What are the similarities between a vulture and a lawyer?
The wing tips are removeable.
Old 29-10-2008, 14:46   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Lawyers and police officers - we hate until we need one
Old 29-10-2008, 16:36   #25

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Here's one with a nautical theme:

Why do sharks not attack lawyers? Professional courtesy.

JohnC
Old 29-10-2008, 19:39   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
In some jurisdictions this is not a legal recourse

Just like stopping payment on a check if you are unhappy with the work.

At least in Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
If I was the landscaper I would go back to the jobsite and undo the amount of work that the client didn't pay for, i.e. remove plants, etc.

A friend named Vito says this about lawyers:
What are the similarities between a vulture and a lawyer?
The wing tips are removeable.
Old 27-11-2008, 21:22   #27

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Chief. I'm sorry your landscaping buddy is out of pocket. Landscaping is hard work. I'm sure he earned the money he didn't get. We've just had a house built. The builder has been very professional. I've watched the tradies working on it a bit. It took a long time and there are heaps of materials. The builder stuck to the quoted price. Rather than try to rip em off, I'm pretty amazed they could accomplish such a big task on time and on budget. On the case of the man who wouldn't pay, it must be hard on the soul to go through life in such a mean-spirited way.
Old 27-11-2008, 21:51   #28

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Kai is right there is something missing from society and it is called morales in the general population the morales of the world have excuse the phrase but " Gone to the sh*t house " would be the most appropriate way to put it in that if you lookat the years leading up to now there have been more and more dirty movies and more drug addictions and stealing to get money for drugs than ever before and that is why people are willing to rip off honest people that work for a living thakfully though that does not seem to have affected the cruising society though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: