Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 08:06   #16

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor
Re: What have you heard?

I've heard all sorts of voices. They offer advice of good, bad and sometimes questionable value. I've listened for years... Then they change my medication and I get silence for a time. ��
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:07   #17
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GafferMate View Post
We were two days out from Mangareva, heading to Tahiti. It was early evening, weather calm, Bill and I were down below playing a game of cards before beginning our night watch routine. We weren't tired and we don't drink alcohol during passages.

As clear as Bill across from me, I saw a canoe of natives pass through PILAR diagonally, paddling heavily from starboard to port, right through the table and out again in an instant.

"DID YOU SEE THAT???" I asked, but No, he hadn't.

The brilliantly clear memory still stuns me when I recall it.
If you've ever been to Indonesia, this sort of thing happens all the time...but it is usually accompanied by the smell of cloves.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello all,
doing an overnighter up the east coast of Australia. I had just taken over my shift from my wife. I was not fatigued I was not drinking or under the influence of anything when this occurred but I swear its true. I made a suggestion of course change and my wife agreed with me and said I was right. Truly it did happen. Stranger things have happened:big grin: I suspect strongly that my wife was somewhat fatigued though

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Have I missed something? When what happened?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:12   #19
cruiser

Oh hell, I forgot about this one...this is the strangest thing we ever saw while doing a crossing:

About 2 degrees North of the Equator during our pacific crossing, we saw a floating platform with a small sailboat tied-off to it. We tried to hail it on radio for about 30 minutes without reply. The water depth at this location was something like 12,000 ft, so it wasn't at anchor. It was so strange, we stayed clear.

Later, I decided that it was probably a marina dock that broke-off during a storm with a boat still attached and it was just drifting.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:21   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Have I missed something? When what happened?
A wife/first-mate/commodore actually agreed to a course change...I don't believe it either.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:23   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Oh hell, I forgot about this one...this is the strangest thing we ever saw while doing a crossing:

About 2 degrees North of the Equator during our pacific crossing, we saw a floating platform with a small sailboat tied-off to it. We tried to hail it on radio for about 30 minutes without reply. The water depth at this location was something like 12,000 ft, so it wasn't at anchor. It was so strange, we stayed clear.

Later, I decided that it was probably a marina dock that broke-off during a storm with a boat still attached and it was just drifting.
Reminds me of the movie "Life of Pi!"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:26   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I often heard voices, cattle etc on the sea at night. ..................... ......... .
I've heard cattle too! I'm poking about coastal waterways and gunkholing about shallow waters. We're sometimes offshore, but we are more often anchored before dark with short hops.

We did encounter this hazard to navigation on the Dismal Swamp Canal just last week....

Maybe some of his herd were on a passage!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:28   #23

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I do remember once on a 21 day passage and about 100 miles offshore remarking to my watch mate that we needed to change course to avoid the train that was heading at us! He suggested I get some sleep!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:39   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Crossing Carpentaria pitch dark and very bumpy I noticed the echo going nuts then steadily going 60ft ... 45ft ... 30ft ... At 15 ft I broke and just shouted to my mate: "brace for impact!". The echo went 10 ft then locked up.

I think it was just turbulent water layers due to strong tidals. Just do not ask me how real scared I was.

And also voices - on our last trans Atlantica. Choirs, rock bands, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

We were heading south from the canaries, about 40 miles offshore from Africa. I was on night watch alone. The wind was up and there were whitecaps. I thought I saw something floating as we passed quickly. It was close to the boat. It might have been a dead body. Or a piece of styrafoam. Or just a freaky whitecap. Or a floating dead body. It was past in an instant. An instant I'll never forget.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20   #26

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I still maintain that i once saw a meteor hit the water. It caught my eye as a very bright shooting star, which trailed right across the sky and then down into the water about a mile off my starboard bow (i was on a starboard tack so had a good view of it), sending a plume of water about 100 feet into the air. I was pretty tired though, so i could reasonably have been imagining things.

On a passage from Florida to Bermuda about 9 years ago i hadn't slept for 3 days and started having some really weird hallucinations. It started with the ornately-painted 'N' symbol on the compass popping out of it and hitting me right in the centre of my forehead, knocking my on my arse. It then progressed to me looking behind me and seeing a 4x4 jeep overtaking me. It didn't immediately occur to me that i was hallucinating - i just thought 'that's not fair; how come he's going so much faster than me?'. The culmination however was brought about by some diesel containers that i had strapped to the pushpit. As the boat moved they would rub together, and sounded exactly like diesel containers rubbing together. After three days however they sounded like a herd of sheep. I turned around and there they were - a herd of sheep standing around in a field, bleating away. The next passage i did i took a couple more crew with me. Now i have a wind vane. Haven't had any such experiences since :-)
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:33   #27

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

In'78, in a39' Allied Mistress heading out the keys toward Cay Sal and Old Bahama Channel, I was asleep in the aft cabin with the Ben Mar pilot on and two crew in the cockpit. I had a vivid dream of a high bright full moon with the moonbeams illuminating black rocks on the port bow. It was so disturbing, it woke me up, so I got up and went into the cockpit. There was a high bright moon illuminating black rocks barely awash. I dialed 20 degrees right course change into the autopilot and watched the rocks slide by. No fatigue involved.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:37   #28

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I love this site.
(Truth-- I feel better about all of the singing and voices I hear 'out there')
C Lady
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:53   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Turn around you thankless B*$tard!!! or I'll never sail with you again !!!

"You Promise???"

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:54   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I've heard cattle too! I'm poking about coastal waterways and gunkholing about shallow waters. We're sometimes offshore, but we are more often anchored before dark with short hops.

We did encounter this hazard to navigation on the Dismal Swamp Canal just last week....

Maybe some of his herd were on a passage!
I love this Hud!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote