Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2015, 12:06   #31

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: What have you heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Reminds me of the movie "Life of Pi!"
More like the movie All is Lost (robert redford, 2013). The shipping container floats like a long dock.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:10   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I still maintain that i once saw a meteor hit the water. It caught my eye as a very bright shooting star, which trailed right across the sky
I also saw a meteorite, mid atlantic, on my lonely night watch. At first I thought it was a shooting star, but it "tumbled" visibly. It definitely wasn't a flare, but it was quite bright. Although everything seems quite bright in the darkness of mid ocean when there is no moon. It landed very far away.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:31   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C&C40T 1980

About 500 nm north of Oahu, saw a bright white something shoot up out of the ocean into the black night sky that looked like about 3 or 4 nm astern. It was a wiggly bright white trail up, not a clean straight line. It was reminiscent of the projectiles shot off of Vandenburg, CA. Shot from a submarine?
Old 04-10-2015, 13:34   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
I call BS. Unless you have film of it, I ain't buyin' it.
It's hard to film someone not drinking or not popping pills. I don't believe the part of the story where he states his wife agreed. Impossible!
Old 04-10-2015, 13:37   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
It's hard to film someone not drinking or not popping pills. I don't believe the part of the story where he states his wife agreed. Impossible!
RIGHT!????

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 13:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

My daughter and I were doing a channel crossing between Oahu and Kauai on my old wood ketch and we both heard mermaids talking to us softly. Of course we didn't speak Mermaidese so didn't understand them but they spoke to us for quite a long time.

I wish I had a recording of the sounds associated with an old wood sailing vessel. Most captivating.
Old 04-10-2015, 13:59   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
My daughter and I were doing a channel crossing between Oahu and Kauai on my old wood ketch and we both heard mermaids talking to us softly. Of course we didn't speak Mermaidese so didn't understand them but they spoke to us for quite a long time.

I wish I had a recording of the sounds associated with an old wood sailing vessel. Most captivating.
I know mermaidese... Well ... The hot mermaid kind... I don't understand anything the beluga/manatee impersonators are saying...

I use this for my tinnitus at night to sleep... Other good one's there too!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 20:12   #38

I've stood on the shore of Lake Michigan and seen car headlights in Wisconsin 70 NM away. The Great Lakes also have rare mirages that make ships on the horizon appear to be sailing along upside down. No great mystery though; temperature inversions do strange things to light waves.
Old 04-10-2015, 20:20   #39

Anchored in the Exumas, we saw an extremely bright light rise slowly into the sky to the NW. Almost at zenith, it burst into a million fragments like a giant fireworks display. Found out several days later in Nassau that a rocket from Cape Canaveral had blown up. There's always a rational explanation of natural phenomena. Even when its only the cheap rum.
Old 04-10-2015, 22:02   #40

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

Sailing north, a few miles off Savannah, at 3am I saw some strange lights in the mist ahead. As I drew near, a pirate ship materialized below the lights. It was the Bounty, waiting for daylight to run into Savannah. I spoke with a sleepy watch stander over the radio, and we passed like ships in the night. This was probably May or June of 2012. If I see her again, I will not be so calm.....
Old 04-10-2015, 22:55   #41

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

We were sailing a 36' wooden boat from La Paz MX to San Diego... late one night, chatting in the cockpit as my watch was over and Art's was starting. Although we were miles out to sea, over my shoulder I caught a glimpse of barnacle encrusted rocks just a couple feet from our starboard gunnel... then I saw a tail fin. Whew. Not a hallucination or rocky shoreline. It was a Grey Whale diving under our boat
Old 04-10-2015, 23:25   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

I'm currently tied up on an inner finger in a marina almost completely surrounded by a breakwater in an inner harbour area. In fact we are the furthest vessel from the entrance in the whole marina.

At 7 o'clock this morning I felt a thump on the stdb hull which is next to the dock and heard a lot of splashing.

I thought "Oh, sh*t - someones fallen off the finger!".

Rushed out to the cockpit just in time to catch sight of a dolphin chasing his prey out towards the marina entrance.
Old 04-10-2015, 23:49   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I see strange things out by Cape Flattery all the time. The confused seas, often violent and changing winds, and hostile coastline all combine to make it a very spooky place to sail.
One time it was about 2200 and the fog was as thick as pea soup. I have the radar on, but I had just installed it and was not comfortable with it. I see this object- dead ahead about 4 miles, and then the next sweep it is gone. Then there it is again- bearing down on us about 2 miles, and then it is gone. At that point I start getting this static ridden message on the VHF, warning that there is a vessel going south near my location, with failing VHF, no nav lights and marginal sails...for all vessels to stay away. There is the object again...less than a quarter mile away. I turn my boat and try to hail her, she passes to portside and we can almost make out the object in the fog. It appears to be an old ketch, windtorn sails with a man and a lantern at the helm, but the silhouette and signal are gone as she passes, and I never hear from it again.
The sea with its swells and wind keep us busy for the rest of the night, and I often wonder what would have happened it I did not have a radar, or for that matter, did I really see that at all, 50 km from shore in a awful forbidden area? What would someone really been doing out there that far in a disabled boat?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:10   #44

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

When motoring for long periods the Cummins resolves into a piece of music repeating non stop every 5 mins. Very tedious.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
Old 05-10-2015, 18:55   #45

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I was heading up the west coast of florida from Key west to tampa bay. No wind just motoring as we had an appointment at the FWC office in St Pete. We were just passing Sanabele when night was coming on. no real traffic... two fishing boats and one sailboat on the horizon heading south. It got dark when my friend called down below to me that there was a light dead ahead. I came up and looked at it for a minute or so and decided it was an anchor light. We changed course and thought we'd pass it to prort. Damn that thing was high in the air, it must be a 60 or 70 foot boat and it was taken quite some time to pass it. as I was whiching it to port I noticed another light dead ahead and an other one to starboard. and two more coming up from the starboard quarter. Damn, where did all these boats come from? And three at anchor at that? When all of a sudden,,,holy aliens batman.. the first anchor light took off to the south at an alarming speed then curved to the east and landed in Ft Myers. The other two anchor lights did like wise shortly after. The two boats underway from the quarter crossed our stern and went off into the Gulf.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: